over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Just Curious About Moderators

I'm surprised this thread hasn't gone sideways! LOL!! Who will wind up getting banned in the Moderator Banning thread?

I probably hand out the most bans (Pes and I). But 99% only temporary 3-dayers. A rare 7-days for a real twat, and I've probably only permanently banned maybe 20 or 30 real members (spam and bots don't count) in my time here (though if there are analytics on my total number, I'd like to see it) and I've never banned a prominent member or a VIP or VET.

I just happen to be the one that bans the often-too-mouthy cult or current board favorite. Sorry, not sorry.

But as Pesty said, he and I are retired so I check the board 2 or 3 times a day and resolve reports and approval requests even if I don't read threads or posts. That results in bans more often.

Sometimes I've given the same member up to 3 bans but on the 4th, I punt them.
Others will incur an instant and permanent ban for insulting another moderator.
Others have gotten permanent bans from me and will contact a mod who will intercede on their behalf and I'll lift it with a caveat such as not sending me any more private messages (which has often worked out).

Still others will create a second account, sneak back on and ask to be reinstated and often I do. But just because I lift bans for those that are aware of how bad they messed up or are genuinely apologetic, that doesn't mean I always will. I shouldn't do that at all because it only encourages others to make secondary accounts.

I've never been here to be loved and popularity is never of any concern to me. 99.9% of promuscle members are straight-up great guys and ladies. But that 0.1% are useless garbage.

My PMs are always open though. We used to have a banned member forum that got a lot of accounts reinstated. Others just went there and further humiliated themselves. But I welcome all criticism, I'll always help with a board problem, a personal issue, or anything else.

Yeah pesty is a straight up nuisance.. he likes to play this game in the locker room called "Look in my Jock".. well ... after the 5 or 6 times you get wise. Never again pesty..

I got banned last week for 7 days, unsure what I did, probably commented in a thread someone else started that may have been somewhat political.

The Mod's "ban message" itself seemed full of anger for whatever reason. All good though, I will be more observative of the rules.
I could guess who that is - Mods are alright..cough - no seriously - appreciate anyone contributing but there is always one mod that has a power or anger issue and needs to feel important

And im gonna guess a ton of us don't receive the warning - because last time i was with a ban - it was stated I was warned...warned where? Lmao

But anyway - great board - and banning for the right reasons - welcomed

Banning wrong reason - will just kill the board - especially with all the new social media outlets that people can turn to and once realized will never come back here
I'd call it limited market....

I remember back in 2000/2001, I was asked to Mod over at EF, and i declined because it was a free-for-all, though i was good friends with most of the Moderators. I was also in the hardest years of college at that time, which was the main reason. I don't know who was using the "George" account when they asked, whether it was Paul or somebody else, dunno. I graduated in 2003. When I started my first Mod position over at Anabolic Fitness (AF), in 2003, it was super fun, but we killed that fukking board because it was a 100% no tolerance. , It had a lot of the older Mods that I knew from over at EF (E2, Decaman, Macrophage69alpha, Monster, therealj, Fintesschick and Iron God, Wilson6, MS/retropump, Warlobo, etc, etc). By late 2006/7, it was slow as hell because of the overkill job of being too strict, lol. It had a ton of great stuff and posts on it. In 2007, it changed over to AFboard, and it was the hardest thing to not be a Moder-Nazi, hahaha!. I liked both versions, but post-2007 onward, it was much more fun with more people and tolerance. Always a fine line, but i later got a lot softer and hated banning members unless they flat broke the rules. It too is no longer around...pretty sad to be honest.

several boards have been hugely popular only to end up being killed off by the extremes of either members running rampant and not enough oversight, or the other side which kills it faster which is mods being way too strict and not being willing to bend and let people sometimes just get some stuff off their chests.
its easy to look in from the outside though and I cant imagine how much goes into the daily running of the board. I imagine it comes with its own set of stresses. Tough job that I am glad I dont have to do

Oth has to have the most bans, by far. He is the reason I do not post anymore lol, if I see he is on I get scared and log off lol. But I believe I have been banned twice in 13 years, both by bio. I stay quiet and just read stuff now, so I don’t get in trouble

Got banned once, considering I've been around since early 2000's, and didn't join till a decade later and never post, not bad, lol. A matter of taking exception to someone glorifying something that took my nephews life, so yes, I wasn't exactly thrilled. OTH...going to have to disagree with it, but again, I have my thoughts on the whole matter, and I'm sure he has his own perspective.

PM is my "go to", and while there has been issues over the decades, I certainly do not think the mods get enough credit and do a thankless job, IMO. Can't imagine my lifting life without PM, it's sponsors (never, EVER, had any issues with), and mostly, the incredible knowledge base of all of you.

So, thank you all.

Bob

Oth has to have the most bans, by far. He is the reason I do not post anymore lol, if I see he is on I get scared and log off lol. But I believe I have been banned twice in 13 years, both by bio. I stay quiet and just read stuff now, so I don’t get in trouble
Nah, I wouldn't ban a board vet, especially one I don't know, without consulting other mods that may know your history. I've never, not in 15 years, banned a board vet and Featured Member/Kilo Klub, etc. Those are contributors. So, respect. But I've never done a thing to you. Did I say something to you? Or delete your posts? I don't remember.
Got banned once, considering I've been around since early 2000's, and didn't join till a decade later and never post, not bad, lol. A matter of taking exception to someone glorifying something that took my nephews life, so yes, I wasn't exactly thrilled. OTH...going to have to disagree with it, but again, I have my thoughts on the whole matter, and I'm sure he has his own perspective.

PM is my "go to", and while there has been issues over the decades, I certainly do not think the mods get enough credit and do a thankless job, IMO. Can't imagine my lifting life without PM, it's sponsors (never, EVER, had any issues with), and mostly, the incredible knowledge base of all of you.

So, thank you all.

Bob
You have a whopping 6 posts in 11 years. I probably thought you were bot/spam.

I got banned last week for 7 days, unsure what I did, probably commented in a thread someone else started that may have been somewhat political.

The Mod's "ban message" itself seemed full of anger for whatever reason. All good though, I will be more observative of the rules.
You've been here since February, <100 posts, and I seemed full of anger because you stepped into a political thread? Okay, fair enough. I apologize for my anger.

So what was the name of your previous now-banned account?

I'm surprised this thread hasn't gone sideways! LOL!! Who will wind up getting banned in the Moderator Banning thread?
That's a good one lol

I also believe that perhaps at times MODs ban because they are having a bad day or in a bad mood for whatever personal reasons.

I do believe also since we're all humans, sometimes a MOD can or might have a dislike towards a member for whatever personal reason.

Perhaps the "Tone" of the member's post is misunderstood by the MOD. This is a fact about typed posts or Text messages. There's actually psychology science behind it.

Whatever the case is and at times I was baffled to why I got short term bans, I think the MODs take things the wrong way or mis-understand the "Tone" of the post.

This will inevitably create a hostile relationship between a MOD and a member which leads the member to get more scrutinized over time.

For me it was only sometimes personal.
And even then I stop to consider ….
Does it it do more good or bad to remove a member? Phil Hernon for example.
Of it was personal feelings sure I could have banned him. But he was a staple of the forum before I was a moderator. So sometimes you put your personal view aside and try to do what you were invited to do. Moderate the forum.

BigA has never given us a script or Agenda.
For example I could have banned Phil and he would not have changed it.
His only rule to us is not over-ride one another.

For members and numbers. If you search BigA started this place for his friends to talk about advanced bodybuilding. He was not looking for numbers. It just blew up.

Chances are if you are an advanced bodybuilder or even a beginner….. if you contribute and treat one another with respect and not just looking to be a shithead…. Should have no problems.

Well I've been here 14 years and in all that time I've only been warned........by Pesty.
I made a comment about the marketing tactics of a member not realizing he was a paying sponsor.
I still disagree with his tactics but agree with the rules. The forum member not Pesty.

I also believe that perhaps at times MODs ban because they are having a bad day or in a bad mood for whatever personal reasons.

I do believe also since we're all humans, sometimes a MOD can or might have a dislike towards a member for whatever personal reason.

Perhaps the "Tone" of the member's post is misunderstood by the MOD. This is a fact about typed posts or Text messages. There's actually psychology science behind it.

Whatever the case is and at times I was baffled to why I got short term bans, I think the MODs take things the wrong way or mis-understand the "Tone" of the post.

This will inevitably create a hostile relationship between a MOD and a member which leads the member to get more scrutinized over time.
I never banned you or deleted your posts to my knowledge. And I certainly never banned you for personal reasons.

Actually what happens is this. Let's say I'm going about my daily business, working the board, making or responding to a post, when a member will respond to a post I made with a really mean-spirited wiseass remark. I'll think, "Damn! That dude is an asshole." But that's it. No ban, nothing.

BUT! That dude just burned his username into my brain so now he's 'on my radar' in a manner of speaking. That's not say that he'll ever get banned but now I (we) just notice that user more. As you said, 'psychology'. It's just human nature.

I might even go into the admin section and say, "Does anyone know Xuserguy3434? He just tore me a new one."

Then when that user steps over the line into rule-breaking territory, it's like hair trigger, boom! Warned or banned. Usually a temp ban for 1-3 days.

Then, if that user comes back, pissing all over the board crying and whining, I usually just give them the punt. Why? Because time has shown us mods that a member that creates problems like that over nothing or directly at a moderator is going to be a constant and permanent headache going forward.

the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-cat.gif

I had no idea the banned forum doesn't exist anymore

I had no idea the banned forum doesn't exist anymore
It still shows up on my list of forums but nobody posts there. At least last time I checked. I'll see if that can be fixed. It was two things: a place where the banned could explain their side and 2) the crying and whining was a endless source of entertainment. I used to have a thread called Tales from the Isle of the Damned here where I'd post excerpts so the whole board could laugh at their fury.

I'll check on that tonight or this weekend. It might have gotten broken in the upgrade.

Reactions: Bio
It still shows up on my list of forums but nobody posts there. At least last time I checked. I'll see if that can be fixed. It was two things: a place where the banned could explain their side and 2) the crying and whining was a endless source of entertainment. I used to have a thread called Tales from the Isle of the Damned here where I'd post excerpts so the whole board could laugh at their fury.

I'll check on that tonight or this weekend. It might have gotten broken in the upgrade.
Haha, I'm going to have to search for your thread.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekomodo_ifbbpro
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
yourdailyvitamins