over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

High or low volume training?

I've been doing 5 days so long thinking i should give 4 days a try

Push heavy
Pull heavy
Off
Legs
Volume day (hit parts I want to bring up with pump work)
Off
Off

Off days get 35 minutes cardio. Volume day would be concentrated on Tris and rear delts. Probably take a weight I can get for 25 then crank out 100, with 5-10 second rests as needed. So volume but still intense.
I walk about 8-10,000 steps in four hours at my retirement gig. That's my cardio. LOL I'm also contemplating going back to Fortitude but sticking with it for at least three months. Just for fun.

Reactions: D2
Time is essentially the most critical aspect for me and I feel like I'm solving a 1,000 piece puzzle. I have a newborn at home (which is getting easier) but I am an executive at a large medical device company and work 60 hours a week with a sky high stress job, have a 10 year old and 11 week old, and just super busy all around. Just quick caveat. I'm nothing special and the above isn't intended to sound like I am...we all have our own crap going on.

I have a home gym when I'm not traveling and I can only get to the gym 3 days a week and that is hard. Every 3-4 weeks I'll have a week I can do 4 workouts...that is not common though.

For me I go back and forth between full body and PPL. I can do full body in an hour but I really have to limit it to 1 set to failure and only about 6 total movements. Squats/deadlift/bench/bbrow/leg press/dips and that's it...so I'm missing a lot but at least get 3x a week frequency.

I'm back to PPL because although frequency is lower, I can do more volume and each workout is only about 40 minutes.

I don't want to turn the thread but I'm really interested in what some of you do with families, high intensity work (don't care if it's blue or white collar), and just insanely busy lives.

I'm to the point I plan my entire day from 7am to 9pm in 15 minute increments...

Why not split the middle and do Push/Pull ?

Bench/OHP/squat

Pull-ups, chest support row/deadlifts….

Obviously sprinkle in isolation moves

Bench/OHP/squat

you know, that's an interesting idea there!

For the bro split guys, do you feel strongly one way is better or worse..

5 on 2 off
3 on, 1 off , 2 on 1 off

Reactions: D2
Depends on time of the year, how much food I'm taking , hormone dose, calorie restriction or calorie above maintenance,and many other factors.

High volume for me. When I was 22 low volume worked great when I was working full time and going to college full time. I lifted heavy then. Heavy lifting isn’t an option for my body now. I go for pump pump pump.
I have no idea idea how to go for a pump nowadays..... I do low volume since forever that mentally i think that going for a pump will lead me to nowhere.... 😭

Can you post an example of your workouts?

For the bro split guys, do you feel strongly one way is better or worse..

5 on 2 off
3 on, 1 off , 2 on 1 off
I like to have a day off, typically after legs so do the second option on your list. 1 day off suits me better as 2 days off feels too long for me personally

I feel like the science guys contradict themselves.

They say longer rest is better, makes sense

Then they say rest pause is equal to straight sets, also makes sense

Then they say if you do shorter rest, you need to compensate by adding more volume.

This now doesn't add up. How do we differentiate between normal short rest and rest pause? If I'm using rest pause, and this is equal to straight sets, I shouldn't need more volume. Possibly less because I'm taxing my CNS more.

Thoughts?
These types (Carter,etc.) are such clowns. They claim with great conviction to have the keys to hypertrophy, and get extremely butthurt and defensive if anyone so much as questions their interpretation of the literature. Carter in particular gets really caught-up in his feelings. Overall, these "science guys" tend to have massive egos and interestingly not massive muscles. Can't believe how many people take their word as gospel.

These types (Carter,etc.) are such clowns. They claim with great conviction to have the keys to hypertrophy, and get extremely butthurt and defensive if anyone so much as questions their interpretation of the literature. Carter in particular gets really caught-up in his feelings. Overall, these "science guys" tend to have massive egos and interestingly not massive muscles. Can't believe how many people take their word as gospel.
I stopped following him when he complained about not having enough "Likes" on a post so if people didn't care about his posts enough to like them he was going to post less or not at all.........lol

I stopped following him when he complained about not having enough "Likes" on a post so if people didn't care about his posts enough to like them he was going to post less or not at all.........lol
Hahaha dude he actually monitors his competitions IG pages with burner accounts and deletes people who interact with his adversaries. Guy's a tool.

Carter just seems angry in general at the world like a miserable person. Simply guys asking a question triggers him. Sad because he does put out some good content I just wonder if he realizes how " I'm mad at the world I hate life" he comes off.

you know, that's an interesting idea there!

You may like this. Can be done 3 or 4 or 5 a week. Basically torso/limbs/legs. Anyone ever ran such a split?

Could be good for someone lagging arms aka a chest/back guy.

Torso (chest/back/Rd/traps)
Limbs (arms, FD)
Off
Legs
Limbs
Off
Off

Carter just seems angry in general at the world like a miserable person. Simply guys asking a question triggers him. Sad because he does put out some good content I just wonder if he realizes how " I'm mad at the world I hate life" he comes off.
I generally liked most of his actual content but like you and others have said: it gets lost in translation because of his mean demeanor. (Which is why I stopped following him, I'm not going to support a grade a asshole)

Others that were repeatedly attacked by Carter handle it with so much more class, like Coach Kassem for instance. Or even Israetel even though I don't agree with his "volume builds muscle" school of thought.

This is what sometimes annoys me to no end on all social media (including this board), the tough guy acts and verbal and personal warfare by and between people that actually have solid stuff to contribute...

Thank God this place is moderated very well and the shit shows don't last too long here 👍

I have no idea idea how to go for a pump nowadays..... I do low volume since forever that mentally i think that going for a pump will lead me to nowhere.... 😭

Can you post an example of your workouts?
This was yesterday’s arm workout. I workout at home and do lots of giant sets.
BICEPS/TRICEPS:
SUPERSET #1:
- 3 sets alternating dumbbell hammer curls supersetted with 3 sets one arm dumbbell kick backs.
GIANT SET #2:
- 3 sets alternating dumbbell curls supersetted with 3 sets one arm reverse grip band pushdowns supersetted with 3 sets one arm overhand grip pushdowns supersetted with 3 sets one arm hammer grip band pushdowns supersetted with 3 sets one arm rope pushdowns torquing outward at the bottom supersetted with more reverse grip pushdowns and more overhand pushdowns.
SUPERSET #3:
- 3 sets dumbbell curls across the body and torquing the wrists outward at the top of the movement supersetted with 3 sets lying one arm dumbbell tricep extensions.
GIANT SET #4:
- 3 sets barbell drag curls supersetted with 3 sets skull crushers supersetted with 3 sets narrow grip barbell press supersetted with 3 sets reverse grip barbell press.
GIANT SET #5:
- 3 sets band curls performed like 21’s doing full range of motion, upper range of motion, and lower range of motion followed by single arm band curls followed by reverse grip band curls supersetted with 3 sets seated one arm dumbbell extensions.

I generally liked most of his actual content but like you and others have said: it gets lost in translation because of his mean demeanor. (Which is why I stopped following him, I'm not going to support a grade a asshole)

Others that were repeatedly attacked by Carter handle it with so much more class, like Coach Kassem for instance. Or even Israetel even though I don't agree with his "volume builds muscle" school of thought.

This is what sometimes annoys me to no end on all social media (including this board), the tough guy acts and verbal and personal warfare by and between people that actually have solid stuff to contribute...

Thank God this place is moderated very well and the shit shows don't last too long here 👍
Agree I don't like Israetel protocols and think they are nothing more than overcomplicated training to sell a secret $$ but he is a class guy.

What do people think about the Israetel method to start low volume and keep adding until your forced to deload? I know it's periodization but don't think it's ideal for a bodybuilder. Jacking up volume over 5 week so you need to take week 6 off seems silly. I'd rather do appropriate volume then deload at 8 or 9 weeks when needed, not force the need to deload.

I also think they have people do way too much during a deload. Same workout at 70 percent or whatever. Just take a damn week off get in a couple full body with high reps. The worst thing someone can do during a deload is too much and risk not reducing fatigue.

Agree I don't like Israetel protocols and think they are nothing more than overcomplicated training to sell a secret $$ but he is a class guy.

What do people think about the Israetel method to start low volume and keep adding until your forced to deload? I know it's periodization but don't think it's ideal for a bodybuilder. Jacking up volume over 5 week so you need to take week 6 off seems silly. I'd rather do appropriate volume then deload at 8 or 9 weeks when needed, not force the need to deload.

I also think they have people do way too much during a deload. Same workout at 70 percent or whatever. Just take a damn week off get in a couple full body with high reps. The worst thing someone can do during a deload is too much and risk not reducing fatigue.
How long does it take to build up to intense training which will stimulate muscle on his programs? Aren’t the build up weeks a case of wasted time? Time that could be spent pushing harder imo

How long does it take to build up to intense training which will stimulate muscle on his programs? Aren’t the build up weeks a case of wasted time? Time that could be spent pushing harder imo
I think he has you start at what he calls minimum effective volume and has you add untill you reach basically too much volume then back off. Number of sets are individual but he gives guidelines.

I agree it's a waste an attempt to over periodize training just for the hell of it. If 8 sets of arms is ideal for me I want to do 8 sets until I need a break or want to try a new program or feel like I need more.

Not go 6,8,10,12 oh shit I need a deload. One week I did less than I needed 2 weeks more, but heck I can say "I periodized" lol

Every workout I do 2 movements per body part..one for reps..one for weight.

Today I did chest..I started on flat bench for reps..started with the bar for 100 reps..10 or so sets later I finished with 315 for 6

I waited a few minutes then went to the hammer incline machine where I just threw on as many plates as I could move correctly and did that until I couldn’t anymore
you would serve yourself better if you reversed that.
do heavy stuff first, then lighter.
by doing high reps first you are gonna burn out glycogen in the muscle which is EXACTLY what fast twitch intense lifting uses for energy.
so when you get to the heavy lifting there is no glycogen for ATP if i remember right... so your canabolizing muscle tissue during those heavy intense sets. cuz there is no glycogen to get energy from and not enough oxygen (anaerobic) so..... not good imo.

Bench/OHP/squat

I usually do this.
Back bi quad
Chest tri shoulder hams
Twice a week. Usually Mon Tues Thur Fri

It's my favorite split. Next would be a fortitude style.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
LoneWolf22
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131