over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Cardio

Big Bapper

Moderator - R.I.P.
After exchanging a few emails with featured member JT. He has convinced me the importance of off season cardio. Until recently the only off season cardio I have done was the odd martial arts class here and there or hit the bag but never kept it regular. What type of cardio do you do and how much impact do you think it has on your gains.

I have been doing the treadmill 5 days a week and really think it helps me recover faster between sets. What does everyone else do and more important what intensity and for how long.

Thanks in advance.

low intensity cardio 3 days a week after workout is what im doing. trying not to let my bodyweight get over 230 this offseason. was too hard to come down from a fat assed 255 last year :eek:

I am a leaner 230 this year by far though, so def. offseason cardio is for me :D

Increased mitochondria = faster recuperation

I'm at work right now in the ICU so I can't go into as much as I would like, but long story short, low intensity cardio helps to develop more mitochondria's in the cell. The mitochondria is typically called the "powerhouse" of the cell. This is where many waste products are delivered and recycled and also the production of ATP, our energy source for life.

When you exerise, ATP --> ADP, then must be "recycled" with another phosphate "P". So, ATP --> exercise --> ADP --> mitochondria --> P + ADP = ATP, and the cycle begins again.

As far as how much to do is another part to deal with so you don't cause more catabolism than anabolism of muscle.

So "BP" it makes sense you are noticing better recovery between sets as you are probably replenishing your ATP stores more quickly.

I too notice a difference in just a "general well-being" when I do low intensity (even moderate) cardio.

Right now I am doing my cardio on non-training days in the morning on an empty stomach for 20-30 minutes. I use low-intensity cardio on either the treadmill or stationary bike....or a combo of both. I posted a study here a few months back that showed cardio on an empty stomach 1st thing in the morning will help increase appetite for the entire day, and it did this a lot better than later in the day after a few meals...in regards to stimulating hunger.

I am training 1 day on and 1 day off right now, so EOD split.

Cardio will help with appetite, and it will keep the metabolic pathways for fat loss open (and/or for fat gain prevention), and it will also help with recovery, and well.....it's just healthy. Everybody should do some form of cardio a few times per week for health purposes specifically. A measely 20-30 minutes of cardio is not gonna ever come close to inhibiting muscle gains unless one is severely in a calorie debit, not sleeping, and already overtraining.

IMO....cardio is one of the biggest "secrets" for off-season prep....it's part of the package;)

BMJ

First time I started doing cardio off season last year, and noticed less fat gain. I would do 3-4 sessions/week. Mainly treadmill, walking at incline for 2- mins only. On leg days it would be stepper, to work glutes and hams tie ins.
No cardio day after leg days.

Cardio will help with appetite, and it will keep the metabolic pathways for fat loss open (and/or for fat gain prevention), and it will also help with recovery, and well.....it's just healthy. Everybody should do some form of cardio a few times per week for health purposes specifically. A measely 20-30 minutes of cardio is not gonna ever come close to inhibiting muscle gains unless one is severely in a calorie debit, not sleeping, and already overtraining.

IMO....cardio is one of the biggest "secrets" for off-season prep....it's part of the package;)

BMJ[/QUOTE]

Awesome post bro and very true.

First time I started doing cardio off season last year, and noticed less fat gain. I would do 3-4 sessions/week. Mainly treadmill, walking at incline for 2- mins only. On leg days it would be stepper, to work glutes and hams tie ins.
No cardio day after leg days.

I agree not a good idea to do cardio after legs or even any other body part. I think PWO is time for nutrition. I would never do cardio on leg day.

heavy bag and swimming in short explosive sprints is all i do but its not routine. i hate running with a passion! ive found that swimming really helps with appetite.

Thats it

Right now I am doing my cardio on non-training days in the morning on an empty stomach for 20-30 minutes. I use low-intensity cardio on either the treadmill or stationary bike....or a combo of both. I posted a study here a few months back that showed cardio on an empty stomach 1st thing in the morning will help increase appetite for the entire day, and it did this a lot better than later in the day after a few meals...in regards to stimulating hunger.

I am training 1 day on and 1 day off right now, so EOD split.

BMJ

This is what I do most of the time, first thing in a.m. with 5 grams BCAA and coffee.

I hate it too

heavy bag and swimming in short explosive sprints is all i do but its not routine. i hate running with a passion! ive found that swimming really helps with appetite.

Running is stupid IMO, all the boxers even the younger ones at my gym have bad knees.

After exchanging a few emails with featured member JT. He has convinced me the importance of off season cardio. Until recently the only off season cardio I have done was the odd martial arts class here and there or hit the bag but never kept it regular. What type of cardio do you do and how much impact do you think it has on your gains.

I have been doing the treadmill 5 days a week and really think it helps me recover faster between sets. What does everyone else do and more important what intensity and for how long.

Thanks in advance.
I was in the same shoes myself never did any cardio durining when I was bulking but now do it and cuz of my job in EMS I have to take test called c-pat test which is a cardio overhaul.

But getting back to it.........if u can look up LL Cool J's cardio he does now from his book. He tells how he starts out and at what speed and what incline and it is a like a 15-30 min thing he does. And from what I read he is in great shape for 40yr old. Also I think but anyone can correct me if I am wrong..........anything over 137 and you are not burning fat but doing cardio! Hope this helps!!

respect
Spartan

I was in the same shoes myself never did any cardio durining when I was bulking but now do it and cuz of my job in EMS I have to take test called c-pat test which is a cardio overhaul.

But getting back to it.........if u can look up LL Cool J's cardio he does now from his book. He tells how he starts out and at what speed and what incline and it is a like a 15-30 min thing he does. And from what I read he is in great shape for 40yr old. Also I think but anyone can correct me if I am wrong..........anything over 137 and you are not burning fat but doing cardio! Hope this helps!!

respect
Spartan

LL Cool J the rap guy has a cardio DVD, awesome I will have to see this. Thanks buddy.:)

LL Cool J the rap guy has a cardio DVD, awesome I will have to see this. Thanks buddy.:)
No No...........he is the only rapper or start to be featured 3 times on the cover of "Mens health&fitness" He has a best seller book that he put out in 06 or 07 that how him and his personal trainner transformed his body into what it is today. The guy is ripped to shredds! But thecardio routine he has is something that is very cool! He starts out with slow brisk walk and then inclides and declines through the whole thing and gives you the speeds and times when he changes. Very good book as well as artest in my opinion!

much respect
spartan

i now at the ripe ol age of 29, feel i actually GROW better when doin light cardio... 25-40mins of a brisk walk or cross trainer..

biggest advantages:

enhanced recovery - ( my blasts last longer)
more reps on widowmakers - (better circulation/lactic acid buffering)
increased hunger/less fat accumulation..

i prob just repeated others comments but i feel so strongly bout cardio.. wish i did this at 20y/o!!!

i now at the ripe ol age of 29, feel i actually GROW better when doin light cardio... 25-40mins of a brisk walk or cross trainer..

biggest advantages:

increased hunger/less fat accumulation..

i prob just repeated others comments but i feel so strongly bout cardio.. wish i did this at 20y/o!!!

I agree with everything you say I am experenceing the same with my training also more energy during the day. Most nights I dont need my cpap anymore, however will try to use it as much as I can. I also wish I had started doing cardio younger. Like how will walking loose muscle. Its funny somethimes the way we think as bodybuilders.

I do cardio 5x week in the AM on empty stomach and that helps me to loose the stomach fat pretty easy but kills my strength for weight training. Its good for the heart so thats why I do it. Healthy muscles need a healthy heart. Plus I feel better during the day and sleep better at night.

I do my cardio after I eat as fat loss is not priority off season. Feel allot better for sure and can still lift heavy.

Like how will walking loose muscle. Its funny somethimes the way we think as bodybuilders.

lol you said it brother!!!! how the hell is 200-300cals burnt walking going to affect my 2g/lb protein 5-7000cal diet:)

Wow, i learned a lot from this thread.

feel i actually GROW better when doin light cardio... 25-40mins of a brisk walk or cross trainer..

biggest advantages:

increased hunger/less fat accumulation

same here. it's my secret weapon too.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinFinch
NapsGear