over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

1 set X 100 reps

Showy0023

Registered
I was reading an article about how Terrell Owens trains. His trainer has him doing 1 set of very light weight for 100 reps! Multiple exercises per body part. Anyone ever try this? I guess its supposed to build muscle and burn fat at the same time.

It will build endurance and burn calories but it's not going to build muscle.

Would it built a small amount of strength? I picture boxers who throw 1000 punches with 16 oz gloves as weights. Overtime they develop strength as well as endurance specific to that body movement. I know it inst the optimum way and many other exercise can come in to play. But wouldn't 1 set x 100 reps still have some strengthening affect on the body parts composition.

You can reach failure with very light weights if you do the movement enough times

I could definitely see an increase in neural efficiency. A small amount of hypertrophy, but not much. Boxers box all the time and they don't bigger.

T. Owens

It certainly works for that physical freak.

Exactly, that genetic specimen...he has some great things going for him with his structure...freaking gifted talent.

Would it built a small amount of strength?

Not really. There are different kinds of strength (i.e. limit strength thats acquired by lifting heavy loads for low reps, strength-speed such as o-lifts, speed strength such as jumping squats, etc.) but 100 reps just builds up some endurance for very light weight.

I picture boxers who throw 1000 punches with 16 oz gloves as weights. Overtime they develop strength as well as endurance specific to that body movement.

But you have to be careful about that because force generated (i.e. power) also needs speed, and using implements that slow you down will result in technique changes and a slower movement. This is why heavier baseball bats fell out of favor as a training tool in baseball.

I know it inst the optimum way and many other exercise can come in to play. But wouldn't 1 set x 100 reps still have some strengthening affect on the body parts composition.

What does this mean? It will only burn calories as Shelby said. Its not going to partition or spot reduce a certain area.

You can reach failure with very light weights if you do the movement enough times

So? You dont need to (and oftentimes should not) go to failure to develop athletic capabilities such as speed, power, strength, etc. By your statement, why not go grab a 1lb pink DB and curl it 10,000 times, see what happens.

Btw, theres also repetitive stress and overuse issues from doing high reps like that too often.

He was a freak before doing 100 reps. This just shows that the genetically gifted will excel no matter how retarded their training program is.

"By your statement, why not go grab a 1lb pink DB and curl it 10,000 times, see what happens."

No thx. But I'm sure if you can manage to do 10,000 reps with even a pink 1 lb DB you would still be stronger then someone who did not do anything

ive done it but only for pump and as a way to get lots of good blood flow into a muscle to help it recover

is it possible that doing very high rep sets could cause the body to adapt by growing more capillaries? in essence its forcing adaptation to the need for increased blood flow. this would go along with more endurance, i wonder what other positive effects this would have?

"By your statement, why not go grab a 1lb pink DB and curl it 10,000 times, see what happens."

No thx. But I'm sure if you can manage to do 10,000 reps with even a pink 1 lb DB you would still be stronger then someone who did not do anything

Thats not what you were contending originally. You said "You can reach failure with very light weights if you do the movement enough times" and said nothing about people who dont lift (which is irrelevant since we're talking about training).

Alot of athletes train extreme rep schemes like that....Hershal Walker(I know I spelled that wrong)didn't even lift weights, he used to do 1000's of pushups, situps, crunches etc. daily

I was reading an article about how Terrell Owens trains. His trainer has him doing 1 set of very light weight for 100 reps! Multiple exercises per body part. Anyone ever try this? I guess its supposed to build muscle and burn fat at the same time.

You could always try it for a few weeks and see if it works for you.

Parillo recomends adding 100's to your training scheme occasionally to target the slow twitch fibers.

I do them twice a year and hate every minute of the workout. Nothing quite as embarrassing as having everyone wonder why the big guy is whining and crying about lifting a tiny 25 lb dumbell.

Thats not what you were contending originally. You said "You can reach failure with very light weights if you do the movement enough times" and said nothing about people who dont lift (which is irrelevant since we're talking about training).

Nah. I asked If doing 1 set of 100 reps would build a small amount of strength as well as endurance. I didn't ask if it was the best method of gaining strength... only if it did. You need to read more carefully. Never did I compare it to another training regiment. I gave the example of boxers since they can get stronger from doing continuous repetitions of very light weights. The topic thread is 1 set x 100 reps. I dont understand how it jumped to you suggesting I go do 10 000 curls with a 1 lb pink dumbbell (maybe you like thinking of me holding pink dumbbells?), but that is irrelevant.

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws