over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

22 year old crushed to death by barbell

Very sad. May God bless him and his family. Actually sometimes when I'm doing different exercises I think of these things, so I try to be careful. Especially now that I'm older. When I was younger, not so much.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Professional Muscle mobile app

I wish more gyms had this type of bench. The lever arm pops forward so you don't have to deal with the rotator cuff strain and bar spin from a lift-off. Anthony Clark (the reverse grip presser) designed it.

**broken link removed**

bar spin.....this is why gyms need to get rid of BENT BARS!!!

ill also put money on the bar this kid used was bent...:lightbulb:

people would look at me like i was crazy.....i would walk around
spinning all the bars for the straightest one....

now i use nothing but smith.

:cool:

Other than the fact that, for many people, the bench presses (both flat and incline) are the best overall mass-builders in existence! :)

depends how youre built. For shorter guys with shorter, moderate arms barbell bench ,works for their structure. For Tall guys with long arms it doesnt do much and hits front delts more. Its also the number one exercise Ive personally seen people get injured on. My trainer partner tore his pec doing 315b or 340 or something many many years ago.

read or watch some Dorian Yates Videos on the bench press , he explains why youve got to find what works for your structure, limb length, range of motion , etc do what works best for you but just bc it works for you doesnt mean itll work for everyone

will a beginner build up their chest? sure

but when youve been bodybuilder 5,10,15 years, and competitively over seven years now, you find out what works for yourself

Last edited:
Other than the fact that, for many people, the bench presses (both flat and incline) are the best overall mass-builders in existence! :)

Thats arguable. For most..flat bench tends to blow up peoples Shoulder and Tricep growth if anything .

Its terrible when anyone passes away, but 22 damn that is young. I never once crossed my mind that something like this could happen benching.

The bench press is like any other lift, there are inherent risks involved in doing them. I put on powerlifting meets for 12 years with adults and 20 years with high school kids. I have seen some pretty bad accidents with the bench press, broken arms, blown triceps and pecs, broken ribs, broken jaws, broken teeth and and chunks of scalp taken off. Good spotters could not have prevented any of them either. These things happen very quickly. Never seen anyone die but accidents do happen. I had to appear as an expert witness in a law suit from a guy who used a false grip, denim shirt and the bar on the way up shot back and right out of his hands. The law suit was dismissed because it was determined that we all know of the inherent risks involved in lifting weight and accept that when we get involved.

Seen a lot of biceps blow on the deadlift, and squats.....if I had a dime for all the 600-1000+ squats dumped in my arms as a back spotter. I saw my friend Anthony Clark go forward with 1000lbs and almost decapitated at the edge of the stage. Hell, I blew out my patella and all three quadriceps with 900 and went to the floor like a limp wash rag. We had 5 spotters. Just have to respect the weight room at all time and hope things don't go bad.

Any form of bench press is undoubtedly great for building power in ones upper body but for bodybuilders I would respectfully disagree with this. The statement may be valid for power athletes but does not hold true for bodybuilders. The barbell bench press at any angle will incorporate several stabilizing and assisting muscle groups and has the tendency to pull/push shoulder and elbow joints out of their productive ranges of motion. The result of this is a lack of maximal pectoral muscle activation and an increased risk of joint injury. True pectoral strength and activation occurs best trough isolation and free motion movements with dumbbells.

Any form of bench press is undoubtedly great for building power in ones upper body but for bodybuilders I would respectfully disagree with this. The statement may be valid for power athletes but does not hold true for bodybuilders. The barbell bench press at any angle will incorporate several stabilizing and assisting muscle groups and has the tendency to pull/push shoulder and elbow joints out of their productive ranges of motion. The result of this is a lack of maximal pectoral muscle activation and an increased risk of joint injury. True pectoral strength and activation occurs best trough isolation and free motion movements with dumbbells.

if only I had read this 11 years ago...

I remember having this discussion with Dr. Sal Aira. He says that the biggest problem with the bench press occurs during the transitional phase when the bar hits the chest and presses upward. During that period the shoulder joint is put under tremendous strain as are the connective tissue in the shoulder. He said particular work has to be done on the rotators using dumbbells at as many different angles as possible. How true is this......almost every elite powerlifter I knew has shoulder issues most all of them did little if any shoulder work as I described.

Another thing that helps is avoid touching the bar to the chest. The keeps the joint from separating and avoids this trauma and stress to the rotators. 2" off the chest still activates the pectoralis majors without adding unnecessary stress to the shoulder.

Now Eddie Robinson told me a few years back that the flat bench press is the best for overall chest development. Robinson and Jay Cutler both told me they feel most bodybuilders lack development in the clavicular head of the pect (upper pecs) therefore the incline bench press is much more effective. But more that 30 degrees inclination is needed as the higher you go the more front delts are activated.

Joe Weider had the variation of exercise principle. Very important to remember. Why? Because it helps to keep the muscle from adapting to stress. Once the muscle adapts to a stress it quits growing. You can change reps and change weight to add stress but why not vary exercises, and angles as well. Hammer Strength makes some good plate loaded machines, dumbbells, barbells and all can be done in the flat, incline, decline positions. Switch these out every week along with progressively increasing weight and you will see much better growth. Vary your exercise, rep ranges, and weight as much as you can to further growth.

Last edited:
I've personally seen this happen. I was looking right at a guy in the gym when the bar rolled off his palms and fell right on his chest. 315lbs and could have done some serious damage. The guy was lucky in my opinion.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

I watched a guy die at a powerlifting meet about 30 years ago dropped 405 on his neck during a bench press.
It wasn't long after that I dropped 505 from arms length cracked my sternum and broke three ribs on my right side.
I used a normal grip but I did not have my wrists wrapped both wrists rolled forward and the bar came right out of my grip.
I had 3 really good spotters at the time it happened so quickly no one had time to react.
It's unfortunate but accidents are going to happen especially when you're pushing big weights.

Last edited:
I watched a guy die at a powerlifting meet about 30 years ago dropped 405 on his neck during a bench press.
It wasn't long after that I dropped 505 from arms length cracked my sternum and broke three ribs on my right side.
I used a normal grip but I did not have my wrists wrapped both wrists rolled forward and the bar came right out of my grip.
I had 3 really good spotters at the time it happened so quickly no one had time to react.
It's unfortunate but accidents are going to happen especially when you're pushing big weights.

do you remember if the bar was bent..??? ive seen bad "lift offs" go
VERY BAD also....ive recieved a few where i almost went sideways off the
bench before correcting myself....most people don't realize how important
a good lift off is...

is how quick this shit happens...

no false grip either on this guy.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgYDfporX00"]400LB Powerlifter Accident in Russia - Later Dies - YouTube[/ame]

Thats how my crash happened just like the video I had just completed my 5th rep
The bar was not bent and the lift off was perfect I was preparing to rack it when my wrists gave out.

Always roll the emty bar to see if it's bent I learned that a long time ago.

Last edited:
you think wrist wraps would have saved him...???

Terrible, terrible, terrible.

This is one reason I like to lift late at night. The gym is always almost empty, so for bench I can just use a power rack and set it so it could hit my chest, but never pin me if something like a pec tear or the bar slipped out of my hands.

not the spotters fault.....its these kids using a false or thumbless grip
and not knowing wtf they are doing....

spotters have no time to react to a tenth of a second, which is
probably all it took...

ill put money on he was using a thumbless grip.

regardless....its just a sad thing to happen,
and never should have happen....

:(

I have seen this happen at my gym. A guy was using a false grip with 405 and the bar slipped and fractured his sternum. The spotter had no time to react as the guy benching told the spotter to only touch the bar if he needed help.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131