over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

22 year old crushed to death by barbell

Other than the fact that, for many people, the bench presses (both flat and incline) are the best overall mass-builders in existence! :)

Heavy dumbbells always built more muscle depth thickness for many plus u can just drop them wihen in trouble.

depends how youre built. For shorter guys with shorter, moderate arms barbell bench ,works for their structure. For Tall guys with long arms it doesnt do much and hits front delts more.
I don't agree with this at all, as I've seen numerous instances of tall guys with long arms getting great results from the bench press, myself included (not to mention guys like Arnold, Ronnie, Haney, etc, who have built some of the best chests of all-time, and they are all taller guys with long arms). 99% of the time, a lack of results on the bench press is attributable to improper mechanics...not structure. Unfortunately, there are a LOT of guys who don't know how to properly engage their chest while pressing.

Its also the number one exercise Ive personally seen people get injured on. My trainer partner tore his pec doing 315b or 340 or something many many years ago.
Yes..this happens for two reasons. One, improper mechanics (I've seen plenty of advanced bodybuilders, and even some pros, who don't know how to bench press properly). Two, because it places more STRESS on the chest--and therefore provides potentially better results.

read or watch some Dorian Yates Videos on the bench press , he explains why youve got to find what works for your structure, limb length, range of motion , etc do what works best for you but just bc it works for you doesnt mean itll work for everyone
I may have read, listened, and watched more about/from Dorian than anyone on this board, including his thoughts on the bench press, but the fact is...Dorian DID bench press. His "decline" barbell presses were done at such a slight decline that for all intents and purposes, it basically was a flat bench. Still, the point is that he pressed with a barbell...at both an incline and at a decline that was almost flat. Furthermore, most of the guys who experience great results from bench presses get a great arch in their lower back when pressing, which pretty much turns the movement into a slight decline anyway. So, whether someone does shallow declines (like Dorian) or gets a good arch while laying on a flat bench, the movement is very, very similar. The difference in pec activation is negligible. Aside from all that, the point is that barbell pressing (regardless of whether the angle varies by a few degrees or not) as been responsible for building the best chests of all-time and I believe the flat and incline barbell presses are the two most effective movements, in general, for building the chest. By the way, this includes pressing done on the smith, as it is basically the same movements on a guided track.

I would also say that weighted dips performed properly can be equally effective for building overall mass.

will a beginner build up their chest? sure

but when youve been bodybuilder 5,10,15 years, and competitively over seven years now, you find out what works for yourself
Of course, other exercises will provide benefits (I love hammer strength inclines for the upper-inner pecs). I never said flat and incline presses were the only chest exercises one should do. But...chances are that if someone doesn't do flat presses/shallow declines (on either a bench or smith), they probably don't have the greatest chest. In fact, I have seen very few bodybuilders with world class chests that haven't done those two exercises religiously...at least while building up their overall mass. I would also say that the BEST chests ever built (probably the entire top 10) were all built by men who religiously performed those exercises in their training. I don't think that is coincidence. Lastly, all this is stated "generally", as not all people are alike, but like I said above, I do believe they are the most effective mass-builders for the largest number of people.

Thats arguable. For most..flat bench tends to blow up peoples Shoulder and Tricep growth if anything .

By "most", you must mean those people who perform the movement improperly (poor mechanics). In that case, I would agree with you...because there are a LOT of people out there who don't know how to properly engage their chest while pressing.

Last edited:
I've been working out on machines or smith exclusively (aside for very light barbell squats) for a few years now, and believe me that's the best choice I ever made training wise. :)

As a bodybuilder, gotta leave your ego at the gym door... ;)

Last edited:
Seen it happen to a friend .It cracked his sternum as well. He was out of work for a few weeks. It scared him so bad he never returned to lifting.

Poor guy.

RIP and condolences to his family.

I've been working out on machines or smith exclusively (aside for very light barbell squats) for a few years now, and believe me that's the best choice I ever made training wise. :)

its different once you accumulate the muscle quality and caliber you have. mantaining or making small growth spurts here and there is lot easier with machines than the overall growth most people need.

Yes, I have done all my pressing on a Smith for many years now. I can't stand when people say you "must" press with a barbell in order to build maximum mass, while bashing the Smith for chest growth simply because it does not involve the "stabilizers" as much as free-weight presses. I don't care about stabilization--I care about activating the pecs, and a smith can do it every bit as well as a barbell. In fact, I think that for a lot of people, the Smith tends to make pec activation easier, particularly on incline presses, as it makes it easier to take the front delts out of the movement. I love the Smith for pressing (chest and delts). In my opinion, the Smith is the single most valuable piece of equipment in the gym.

Last edited:
I watched a guy drop 315 on his face 25 years back but all he lost was a bunch of teeth. The guy was feeling cocky since he had used to bench 500 in competition then took a few years off. And was his 2nd workout in years. And his spotter was busy checking out a girl at the time.

Yes, I have done all my pressing on a Smith for many years now. I can't stand when people say you "must" press with a barbell in order to build maximum mass, while bashing the Smith for chest growth simply because it does not involve the "stabilizers" as much as free-weight presses. I don't care about stabilization--I care about activating the pecs, and a smith can do it every bit as well as a barbell. In fact, I think that for a lot of people, the Smith tends to make pec activation easier, particularly on incline presses, as it makes it easier to take the front delts out of the movement. I love the Smith for pressing (chest and delts). In my opinion, the Smith is the single most valuable piece of equipment in the gym.

I absolutely agree brother. Although I typically prefer barbell over smith, there should definitely be a place for smith in most programs.

Absolutely love smith shoulder press (much much more shoulder activation for me). I also prefer high incline smith presses vs high incline barbell.

I've personally seen this happen. I was looking right at a guy in the gym when the bar rolled off his palms and fell right on his chest. 315lbs and could have done some serious damage. The guy was lucky in my opinion.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

How about this? Garry Frank drops 825lbs on himself and then turns around and successfully locks out 908lbs. I can find the video of him dropping 700+lb and it bounced about 3 times on his chest. He got up and lifted again.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scq76FNvNJo"]Gary Frank Bench Incident - YouTube[/ame]

That's impressive, when I had my accident I was back benching the empty bar the following week, had to sleep sitting in a chair for a month DMSO on my cracked sternum helped tremendously. And I was back benching over 500 in a few months.
I still believe in the basics and nothing replaces flat heavy barbell bench press.
Same goes for squats ya it hurts its uncomfortable your gonna get hurt deal with it.

On the dorian yates thing. Here is a video of him doing incline bench. I can't find the one with flat or decline but have seen them. He also used as many different forms of the press as he had available at the time. Again, variation of exercise....

https://youtu.be/IQS8C5C-DfQ

I agree the smith machine is a great tool. Its just too bad so many cross trainer types take all the small dumbbells and ez curl bars and stack them up around it while they occupy the whole area for 2-3 hours at a time. I have to go in at weird hours to even use it. I did have to do incline barbell press for the first time in a while and got especially sore afterwards. Which is why it is so important to use everything you can find in the gym that hits the chest. Same with decline.....totally different feeling doing barbell declines, Hammer decline and dumbbell declines. There is not one piece of equipment in the gym that I do not use at one time or another.

If you also watch Branch Warren train, he varies the exercises he does. DoggCrapp also preaches the importance of varying exercises.

This is just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt, to much variation and your loosing focus from the basics.
Do your flat barbell bench press followed by incline barbell bench press then go do whatever you want cables, some weird machine etc..
But you can't replace the basics!

This is just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt, to much variation and your loosing focus from the basics.
Do your flat barbell bench press followed by incline barbell bench press then go do whatever you want cables, some weird machine etc..

On chest day I do 5 different exercise:

1. some type of flat bench (hammer, barbell/smith, db, machine)
2. some type of incline bench (hammer, barbell, db, machine)
3. some type of decline bench (hammer, barbell, db, machine)
4. heavy dips bent forward (weight belt, chains, bands)
5. some type of flys to finish (pec dec, db, cables)

Each week I change one of the exercises and always go 2 warm ups + 3-5 work sets with at least 1-2 going to complete failure. Usually 6-12 reps. If I start out with flat Hammer press. I will go smith or barbell incline (what ever is available) and then DB decline. Most of the exercises I do are partial ROM. I never lock out because most of the work done about about 1/2 way up is triceps and front deltoids. Plus locking out takes the tension off the muscle being worked. In hypertrophy, time under tension is just about as important as the mechanical stress induced on the muscle causing IGF-1 to be released splicing to form MGF. I also do not believe in training fast and put at least 2 minutes in between each work set in order to fully reload the atp/pc system before the next set.

So I will actually do a barbell flat bench 1 time every 4 weeks. I have never lost strength when I go back and am always able to add 5lbs a week. I also never take time off and have never been over trained as I feel changing exercises help avoid this issue.

Last edited:
On the dorian yates thing. Here is a video of him doing incline bench. I can't find the one with flat or decline but have seen them. He also used as many different forms of the press as he had available at the time. Again, variation of exercise....

https://youtu.be/IQS8C5C-DfQ

I agree the smith machine is a great tool. Its just too bad so many cross trainer types take all the small dumbbells and ez curl bars and stack them up around it while they occupy the whole area for 2-3 hours at a time. I have to go in at weird hours to even use it. I did have to do incline barbell press for the first time in a while and got especially sore afterwards. Which is why it is so important to use everything you can find in the gym that hits the chest. Same with decline.....totally different feeling doing barbell declines, Hammer decline and dumbbell declines. There is not one piece of equipment in the gym that I do not use at one time or another.

If you also watch Branch Warren train, he varies the exercises he does. DoggCrapp also preaches the importance of varying exercises.

I 100% agree that it is important to vary one's exercise selection, especially when training heavy, or else CNS burnout will ensue--that is the main issue. However, some exercises are CERTAINLY better than others for building mass (in general), as they activate a greater amount of muscle fibers. That is the key. So, when attempting to build maximum mass, it is important to select exercises which require your body to call upon the largest number of muscle fibers possible. For example, if someone wanted to maximize back mass, they would experience profoundly better results switching between barbell rows, T-bar rows, chest-supported rows (plate loaded), deadlifts, and chins...compared to cable pullovers, one-arm cable pulldowns, and other exercises that don't allow maximum poundages to be used. Or, if training triceps, much better results will be had relying on heavy extensions and dips...compared to rope pressdowns, kickbacks, etc.

So yes, we need to switch out exercises to avoid CNS burnout, but switching to just anything isn't wise--if we want to maximize growth. When we switch, the goal should be to use whatever exercises enable us to activate the greatest number of muscle fibers in that muscle...which are usually those exercises that allow us to handle the most weight (barbell curls vs. cable concentration curls, for example).

This is what part of what I was getting at, which is that when we switch exercises, it should be to another basic exercise, or to a variation of it. By basic, I am referring to those exercises which activate the greatest number of muscle fibers.

I hate hearing about terrible accidents like this young man. His family and friends must all be devastated.

I workout at home alone. I have two metal saw horses that I use when benching. Worst case scenario the bar resting on the saw horses just touches my chest.

And yes, I've had a couple times where that last rep couldn't lock so I had to slide out from under it. Without those saw horses, well I'd probably be a very sad statistic.

Safety first

I dropped 340 lbs on my neck when I was 19, and crushed my throat lost my voice for about 3 weeks and had a strange lump when I swallowed for about a year after, I was very lucky as I never use the clamps on the bar and slid the weights off one side.

Still I learned an important lesson, not to take risks in the gym.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws