over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

30 years of gear use-I'm starting to regret

Thank guys for all the good wishes and information, I was surprised my story generated so much interest, but I am grateful. Someone mentioned "would I do it again, what would I do different", I have to admit I never did massive amounts that I see today, nor did I do crazy cycles. My regret is I did not take more time off and I thought I was indestructable and ignored signs. My BP was high, I did get on BP meds and remain on a small dose, but ignored the renal doc because my ultrasound came back ok so I thought it was "just the latest cycle" causing my numbers to be off. When I went to the heart doc before my last surgery, they were not too concerned about the leaky valve and told me to come back in 6 months, I did not. This year I took out the best of my companies health insurance to get myself well, I have been making appointments to try to follow up and take care of my myself and hopefully remove some of stupid younger decisions I hope some of the younger member will learn from me. As you can see I do not post much, I do read and respect many of you, your knowledge is impressive. I did not post for the sympathy, I posted for two reasons, I am a little scared at what is next and also in reading many other posts, I see some crazy posts and comments with alot of ignorance that reads as if these people are young and "indescructable" like me. I am just hoping to help someone to not look back after 30 years with regrets.
I will post as I progress in this journey, I hope you will be interested.
Mike

****I will take into consderation of taking trt, right now I feel good in the gym being off, but will maybe add 100mgs shortly.

About the leaky valve, I've had mild MR/PR forever. Ever since my first echo cardiogram in 2012, it showed that. Just to let you know I did some heavy stuff for long periods of time and it didn't get worse. My surgeon even told me he has had it all his life and it's fine as long as it stays mild. I don't know if your's is mild or not but I wouldn't stress over it if it is. As long as ejection fraction is good, it's not too concerning from what I have heard.

Thank guys for all the good wishes and information, I was surprised my story generated so much interest, but I am grateful. Someone mentioned "would I do it again, what would I do different", I have to admit I never did massive amounts that I see today, nor did I do crazy cycles. My regret is I did not take more time off and I thought I was indestructable and ignored signs. My BP was high, I did get on BP meds and remain on a small dose, but ignored the renal doc because my ultrasound came back ok so I thought it was "just the latest cycle" causing my numbers to be off. When I went to the heart doc before my last surgery, they were not too concerned about the leaky valve and told me to come back in 6 months, I did not. This year I took out the best of my companies health insurance to get myself well, I have been making appointments to try to follow up and take care of my myself and hopefully remove some of stupid younger decisions I hope some of the younger member will learn from me. As you can see I do not post much, I do read and respect many of you, your knowledge is impressive. I did not post for the sympathy, I posted for two reasons, I am a little scared at what is next and also in reading many other posts, I see some crazy posts and comments with alot of ignorance that reads as if these people are young and "indescructable" like me. I am just hoping to help someone to not look back after 30 years with regrets.
Mike

****I will take into consderation of taking trt, right now I feel good in the gym being off, but will maybe add 100mgs shortly.

Your posts can help many others. I'm sure many appreciate you sharing your story.

You are doing the right thing taking care of yourself.

Let us know what the renal doctor says as well as the cardiologist. Leaky valves are common like others have stated though depending on what valve it is and the severity of it, it might or might not need surgical procedure.

Stay healthy.

Thanks for your sharing. The post would help many new guys who just start aas. It would remind me of being carefully about taking these thing.
Hope stay healthy.

I am 28 and have been using for years. This post is eye opening, Thank you for being brave enough to share.

sometimes I think about when I will stop.

As mike arnold was awesome enough to share with us, I try to implement as many holistic combatives to negate side as much as possible

but it is still scary. I think breaks are imperative. and Cleansing , I have seen bloodwork drastically increase from certain cleanses

Last edited:
I am 28 and have been using for years. This post is eye opening, Thank you for being brave enough to share.

As mike arnold was awesome enough to share with us, I try to implement as many holistic combatives to negate side as much as possible

but it is still scary. I think breaks are imperative. and Cleansing , I have seen bloodwork drastically increase from certain cleanses

What kind of cleansing do you do?

Any holistic options are always welcome if you feel like sharing ;-)

I dont know the numbers off the top of my head but i can give you a few estimates and some commentary on it.

Lets say someone had an MI. so we know they have some unstable plaques somewhere that ruptured and caused it ( most likely). There has been considerable adavances over the years on the management. in the late 90's there was debate on stents, vs cabg, or lima/rima, or medical therapy. All along with lifestyle changes but whether or not the patients did that isnt the point of discussion.

multiple studies were done looking at plaque and outcomes of patients from a variety of trials. let me say that what is currently considered optimal medical therapy ( OMT) post MI is ASA, betablocker, statin, and either acei or ARB. only like 30% of patients though in a poll of NYC cardiologist actualy had there patients on that. So those studies that DID have that was first done in mice of course and i believe ( but dont quote me) that the effects on the plaque stability and changing of the lipid content begins within a year and continued to show prolonged stability at at least 5 years in most trials. Some of the early trials were of course done on animals but in humans the outcomes ( not having a plaque rupture) is a pretty good indicator of plaque stability.

There was a good trial called the COURAGE trial that i was only loosely associated with looked at medical therapy vs intervention and OMT had some pretty darn good outcomes with plaque stabilization at 5 years. Those patients have now been followed out 15 year with excellent results on the OMT. So much so that im now going to actively involved in a new trial called the ISCHEMIA trial looking to expand upon those results.

So to answer your question, we are working on understanding what is optimal. with what is currently considered OMT we see changes in plaque normally within the first year ( could be sooner i dont remember the data) and via animal models and then human outcome models very good data at 5 years and then with at least one cohort of patients from the COURAGE trial out 15 years. of course we arent crackin open the patients to see the coronaries but if they werent still stable its much more likely they would have an MI.

For me i personally partially manage my own fathers post MI care and I also add in 4grams of EPA daily ( vascepa) and have him on a what i consider to be an optimal diet and exercise regimine.

Thanks--very interesting.

Find an integrated doctor in your area..most medical doc's aren't
Knowledgeable in alternative methods that could help you...check out www.vitamincoach.com

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Mike

Staying off of everything and suffering from low testosterone is also pretty damaging to health itself.

I'm not saying 'don't take time off' but certainly don't go an extended period cold turkey and with low testosterone levels.

Low testosterone in males is linked to CHD.

I think all long-term steroids users think about when they will stop. Unfortunately, it seems many of us don't "stop" until we have to (due to concerning medical issues), which is often somewhere between ages 40-50.

I have heard a lot of guys tell me they are going to stop when they turn 40, sometimes even 35, but then when they get there, they don't want to...because it's hard living one's entire life being big & strong and then just letting it go. For all of us, it has become part of our identity and this is not something that's easily changed. We don't hit age 35-40 and suddenly stop caring about being & strong, so when the prospect of quitting becomes a reality, many guys say "screw that" and stay on.

But the thing is--no one can use gear for 20-30 years and not suffer cardiovascular side effects. It is inevitable, so if someone is going to stay on that long, the best thing they can do for themselves is take steps NOW to minimize the damage they are doing to their body, so when they do finally come off, they aren't a complete mess.

The problem is many young guys don't necessarily think they are still going to be using drugs at age 40-50, so they don't take their health as seriously as they should when they are younger. They think to themselves that they will be off in 5-10 years and not have anything to worry about (note: even 5-10 years of chronic PED use can potentially do considerable damage), but the years slowly creep by and they don't go off. Then, before they know it, they are 40 something years old and the damage is extensive.

This is not meant to be discouraging to the guys who are now older and didn't take steps to protect their health, as even people in these situations can do a LOT to stop/undo the damage that was done, but it is FAR better to stop the damage from happening in the first place.

You mentioned that breaks were "imperative" and I couldn't agree with you more. The problem today is that way too many guys think that if they go off for even a short amount of time (even when TRT is in the picture), that they are going to lose a ton of their hard-earned muscle in just a few weeks. Or, they think that "all the pros" never go off and that they have to stay on perpetually if they want to maximize progress.

These people are wrong on both counts, as they are neither going to lose a ton of muscle fiber, nor are they going to hinder progress by taking some time off (depending on how "much" time is taken off, of course). I can understand why some bodybuilders might be convinced of the former, as going off a cycle of something like test, nandrolone, Anadrol, GH, and insulin is certainly going to result in a substantial loss in "size", but the majority of this initial size loss is NOT muscle fiber. It is muscle fullness.

While some drugs work better for this purpose than other, many steroids cause dramatic increases in muscle fullness due to an increase in intramuscular water levels and to a lesser degree, increased blood volume. Some drugs can cause the user to put on 10-15 lbs in just 2-3 weeks (Anadrol, SD, or M1T would be good examples), even though they might already be using fairly large doses of testosterone.

Most people here have experienced this--they go on Anadrol for a few weeks, blow up 10-15 lbs, then lose all of it within 7-10 days after going off, despite continuing to use testosterone at doses sufficient for muscle fiber maintenance. This is because all of that initial weight was not muscle fiber, even though it may look like it (I.M water is indistinguishable from muscle fiber).

This effect is even more dramatic when the individual adds things like GH and insulin on top of it, each of which can cause substantial increases in muscle size through non-muscle growth mechanisms. It is not unrealistic for someone already using testosterone to gain 20-25 lbs of bodyweight in just a few weeks when adding something like Anadrol, insulin, and GH into his program. While some of this weight will be sub-q water, much of it will be located inside the muscle, making the individual look "much" bigger than he was beforehand.

When you ask these people to go off those drugs and just run a low dose of test for a few weeks, they drop a quick 20 lbs and then start freaking out because they think they just lost 20 lbs of muscle tissue. This makes them want to stay on continually because they see time off as going backwards, and not just a little bit, but a lot. Even when you explain to these people what is going on--that all that lost size was not muscle fiber and will come right back on as soon as they start back up on the drugs, they often still have a hard time dealing with it because it messes with their head. They have to not only understand what is going on, but be mentally prepared to look smaller for a few weeks.

Taking time off is also essential for making maximum gains, as the body begins to adapt to the effect of AAS over time. I can't tell you how many people I have spoken to who have been on drugs for months and in some cases years, without making any progress at all. They have been stuck at virtually the same weight and strength levels for a long time, yet they think the answer to their problems is to either A) Stay on longer or B) Increase their doses even further, even though they are already using a ton of drugs.

When people reach this point, taking some time off is the best thing they can do to kick-start gains. Just 6 weeks can make a world of difference. Often, this 6 weeks off is more like 4 weeks off because it normally takes a couple weeks just for the drugs to leave the system, and no one is going to be losing a ton of muscle because they stopped blasting gear for 4 weeks, especially if they keep a few hundred mg of test in there program and continue eating and training properly. In these cases, as soon as the person goes back on, they are right back where they were in just 2-3 weeks--with a partially re-sensitized body.

Last edited:
I think all long-term steroids users think about when they will stop. Unfortunately, it seems many of us don't "stop" until we have to (due to concerning medical issues), which is often somewhere between ages 40-50.

I have heard a lot of guys tell me they are going to stop when they turn 40, sometimes even 35, but then when they get there, they don't want to...because it's hard living one's entire life being big & strong and then just letting it go. For all of us, it has become part of our identity and this is not something that's easily changed. We don't hit age 35-40 and suddenly stop caring about being & strong, so when the prospect of quitting becomes a reality, many guys say "screw that" and stay on.

But the thing is--no one can use gear for 20-30 years and not suffer cardiovascular side effects. It is inevitable, so if someone is going to stay on that long, the best thing they can do for themselves is take steps NOW to minimize the damage they are doing to their body, so when they do finally come off, they aren't a complete mess.

The problem is many young guys don't necessarily think they are still going to be using drugs at age 40-50, so they don't take their health as seriously as they should when they are younger. They think to themselves that they will be off in 5-10 years and not have anything to worry about (note: even 5-10 years of chronic PED use can potentially do considerable damage), but the years slowly creep by and they don't go off. Then, before they know it, they are 40 something years old and the damage is extensive.

This is not meant to be discouraging to the guys who are now older and didn't take steps to protect their health, as even people in these situations can do a LOT to stop/undo the damage that was done, but it is FAR better to stop the damage from happening in the first place.

You mentioned that breaks were "imperative" and I couldn't agree with you more. The problem today is that way too many guys think that if they go off for even a short amount of time (even when TRT is in the picture), that they are going to lose a ton of their hard-earned muscle in just a few weeks. Or, they think that "all the pros" never go off and that they have to stay on perpetually if they want to maximize progress.

These people are wrong on both counts, as they are neither going to lose a ton of muscle fiber, nor are they going to hinder progress by taking some time off (depending on how "much" time is taken off, of course). I can understand why some bodybuilders might be convinced of the former, as going off a cycle of something like test, nandrolone, Anadrol, GH, and insulin is certainly going to result in a substantial loss in "size", but the majority of this initial size loss is NOT muscle fiber. It is muscle fullness.

While some drugs work better for this purpose than other, many steroids cause dramatic increases in muscle fullness due to an increase in intramuscular water levels and to a lesser degree, increased blood volume. Some drugs can cause the user to put on 10-15 lbs in just 2-3 weeks (Anadrol, SD, or M1T would be good examples), even though they might already be using fairly large doses of testosterone.

Most people here have experienced this--they go on Anadrol for a few weeks, blow up 10-15 lbs, then lose all of it within 7-10 days after going off, despite continuing to use testosterone at doses sufficient for muscle fiber maintenance. This is because all of that initial weight was not muscle fiber, even though it may look like it (I.M water is indistinguishable from muscle fiber).

This effect is even more dramatic when the individual adds things like GH and insulin on top of it, each of which can cause substantial increases in muscle size through non-muscle growth mechanisms. It is not unrealistic for someone already using testosterone to gain 20-25 lbs of bodyweight in just a few weeks when adding something like Anadrol, insulin, and GH into his program. While some of this weight will be sub-q water, much of it will be located inside the muscle, making the individual look "much" bigger than he was beforehand.

When you ask these people to go off those drugs and just run a low dose of test for a few weeks, they drop a quick 20 lbs and then start freaking out because they think they just lost 20 lbs of muscle tissue. This makes them want to stay on continually because they see time off as going backwards, and not just a little bit, but a lot. Even when you explain to these people what is going on--that all that lost size was not muscle fiber and will come right back on as soon as they start back up on the drugs, they often still have a hard time dealing with it because it messes with their head. They have to not only understand what is going on, but be mentally prepared to look smaller for a few weeks.

Taking time off is also essential for making maximum gains, as the body begins to adapt to the effect of AAS over time. I can't tell you how many people I have spoken to who have been on drugs for months and in some cases years, without making any progress at all. They have been stuck at virtually the same weight and strength levels for a long time, yet they think the answer to their problems is to either A) Stay on longer or B) Increase their doses even further, even though they are already using a ton of drugs.

When people reach this point, taking some time off is the best thing they can do to kick-start gains. Just 6 weeks can make a world of difference. Often, this 6 weeks off is more like 4 weeks off because it normally takes a couple weeks just for the drugs to leave the system, and no one is going to be losing a ton of muscle because they stopped blasting gear for 4 weeks, especially if they keep a few hundred mg of test in there program and continue eating and training properly. In these cases, as soon as the person goes back on, they are right back where they were in just 2-3 weeks--with a partially re-sensitized body.

Great post Mike, I don't have nearly the size as some of the monsters on here but I was surprised when I ultimately stopped cycling that I was able to maintain my size on 160mg/week of TRT. It's been a few years now and I still make slow progress in my lifts but I believe the health of my joints are a bigger limiting factor than my hormone profile in terms of further progress.

Great post Mike, I don't have nearly the size as some of the monsters on here but I was surprised when I ultimately stopped cycling that I was able to maintain my size on 160mg/week of TRT. It's been a few years now and I still make slow progress in my lifts but I believe the health of my joints are a bigger limiting factor than my hormone profile in terms of further progress.

The only people who don't think you can't maintain on TRT are the ones who have never tried it

Something that everyone should keep in mind when talking about supplements and plaques is a lot of what we do in medicine for atherosclerosis isnt about reversing its about stabilizing. now to most people this may sound like half assed or suboptimal because we like to think of our bodies as damaged and we can undo it. While that might be great and MAYBE we can ( see other thread) when you have plaque the big old calcified ones that so many studies refernence for reversal IS NOT what we actually care about. We care about the smaller onces, non calcified with a small thin fibrotic cap.

Why is that important? Well before the OP forgoes certain medical therapies for some supplements he needs to understand that the goal of many medical therapies is to "stabilize" those plaques. the medical word stabilize isnt what you think it means...what it means is actually change the composition so it wont rupture.

hope all is well with you bud!

just outa curiosity...
have you looked at or have experience with IV Phosphatidylcholine ?
water based with pp and Deoxycholate?

in EU they use for treatment....

just not too much info out there on it.

not suggesting it in any way.

thanks!

hope all is well with you bud!

just outa curiosity...
have you looked at or have experience with IV Phosphatidylcholine ?
water based with pp and Deoxycholate?

in EU they use for treatment....

just not too much info out there on it.

not suggesting it in any way.

thanks!

LK! its been a while, hope your doing well.

absolutely no knowledge on that at all lol

im always open to learning more.

LK! its been a while, hope your doing well.

absolutely no knowledge on that at all lol

im always open to learning more.

all good here bro!

good to see you around!

thanks!

I do not think it is approved for treatment in the US...
interesting stuff though...

I don't want to say more as ill be bombarded with requests. lol
;)

A very accurate post Mike, sounds like me unfortunately.

I do have an appointment with the heart specialist on the 9th to followup with the leaky valve and the cholesterol issues and do another echo. My EKG at the doctors office last week didn't seem to cause any concern. I have an appointment for a Ortho/Neurosurgeon for a second opinion on my back on Thursday and on Monday I go to the Hospital for Special Surgery to talk to a doc on my delayed quad tear that every other doc said there is nothing we can do after so long, this one is somewhat optimistic. My big concern is my kidneys, I need to call tomorrow to get in to see a renal doctor about the proteinuria I am emitting,
Mike, you mentioned several natural sups for the heart, would you have a plan for bringing the kidneys back from this leakage?
I have been off now since Nov 15th and still have a pretty good sex drive (for 49) so I assume my test levels aren't too bad right now. I do hope to go back on a trt dose eventually to avoid issues that low test can bring.
Thanks to all, really appreciated.

A very accurate post Mike, sounds like me unfortunately.

I do have an appointment with the heart specialist on the 9th to followup with the leaky valve and the cholesterol issues and do another echo. My EKG at the doctors office last week didn't seem to cause any concern. I have an appointment for a Ortho/Neurosurgeon for a second opinion on my back on Thursday and on Monday I go to the Hospital for Special Surgery to talk to a doc on my delayed quad tear that every other doc said there is nothing we can do after so long, this one is somewhat optimistic. My big concern is my kidneys, I need to call tomorrow to get in to see a renal doctor about the proteinuria I am emitting,
Mike, you mentioned several natural sups for the heart, would you have a plan for bringing the kidneys back from this leakage?
I have been off now since Nov 15th and still have a pretty good sex drive (for 49) so I assume my test levels aren't too bad right now. I do hope to go back on a trt dose eventually to avoid issues that low test can bring.
Thanks to all, really appreciated.

Ask the cardiologist about getting a cardiac CTA.

HSS on monday...hmm ill see who is working. They might just do a quick ultrasound to take a look at it. I know the girl fellow who i think is on service next week and shes loves doing a lot of ultrasound stuff. If its a 5'9 thin black doctor ask her about her jumpshot lol

I got some good news today that may help others out there that I would like to share. About 10 years ago, I fell at the gym and was told I partially tore my Quad tendon, well a few years ago after a new MRI I was told it was actually a complete tear and over the years was told from every ortho that there was nothing they could do at this point. With my back issues and nerve damage, that leg has been buckling and I have been falling, I needed to do something. I went to the Hospital for Special Surgery today and was told they they can do surgery and use cadaver tendon to reattach the quad tendon after all this time. I know several gym guys that have torn their pec and didn't have insurance to have it fixed and now regret doing nothing, now there is possibly hope. He did want me to get my back fusion surgery first though.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
jd08
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws