over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

5-htp experiences

Shelby

IFBB PRO / Double Featured Member/Kilo Klub
IFBB PROS
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
If anyone would care to share any current or past experiences with 5-htp, please post here or send them to me via PM.

What did you take it for, how much did you take (and for how long), what were the results, etc.

Thanks

My experience

I tried 5HTP @ 200mg a dose (usaully once a day)- I was a little depressed and wanted to see if it helped. Not really, but everyone is different. I also tried St. Johns Wart and it didn't do much. Honestly, I think a good HRT is the best thing for making me feel happy.

It's so cheap you should just see what it does for you.

Please forgive my stupidity but i dont know what this is. What is 5htp?

Please forgive my stupidity but i dont know what this is. What is 5htp?

google it bro this thread is for experiences

my only question is how does 5HTP compare to VALERIAN root and PHENIBUT?

st johns wort works good.........

KAVA KAVA is very hepatoxic i spoke with my endo about it

Yeah sorry i am wanting to get educated. Thought i would ask the question here and get some REAL info instead of all the crap you get off of google.

Maybe you should google the question you just asked!!!

I tried 5HTP @ 200mg a dose (usaully once a day)- I was a little depressed and wanted to see if it helped. Not really, but everyone is different. I also tried St. Johns Wart and it didn't do much. Honestly, I think a good HRT is the best thing for making me feel happy.

It's so cheap you should just see what it does for you.

200mg is a pretty high dose - you didn't have any negative experiences with that?

phenibut for me was better right away....5htp i gave up on and went to buspar(med)...
so for me it didnt work,sorry

I usually take 100-200mg about an hour before bed to help with deep restfull sleep. it works great for sleep and is suppossed to help with anxiety or depression but im not sure how that works I dont have either. Also suppossed to be good for appetite and serotonin regulation. i I love the stuff

hope this helps

I take it before bed with valerian root extract. The combo actually does seem to help me sleep. I used to use a nice big dose of melatonin and benedryl, but I started getting seasonal deppresion- not much sun here in winter. The melatonin wasn't helping. So, I switched over to 5-htp and valerian and have been happy with that. I've been taking st. john's wort to help with the seasonal depression. Does it work? Idk. But, it does make you more "sensitive" to sun light, so I thought that might be a good sign.

my only question is how does 5HTP compare to VALERIAN root and PHENIBUT?

5-HTP is for serotonin of course, and Valerian and Phenibut modulate the GABA system. Valerian being weak and Phenibut ultra potent (for a supp). Phenibut is like Xanax, only with faster habituation and worse withdrawal after short term use.

200mg is a pretty high dose - you didn't have any negative experiences with that?

nah- nothing much, a little "feeling wierd" I guess- hard to describe, but not a "good feeling". BTW that was 2 pills from NOW foods brand.

As others have said, I take it in a cocktail of sleep enhancers now- TP's sleep formula.

5-HTP is for serotonin of course, and Valerian and Phenibut modulate the GABA system. Valerian being weak and Phenibut ultra potent (for a supp). Phenibut is like Xanax, only with faster habituation and worse withdrawal after short term use.

damn bro, 1800mg st johns wort is like xanax too

so phenibut and valerian more for sleeping REM and STJWort and 5HTP for seritonin?
i gotta try the phenibut, sucks u have to cycle it, oh well, who wants to depend on something anyways!

im taking melanotanin and saint johns wort at night working well

whats next step for SERITONIN????

5htp is also considered a precursor to melatonin, via serotonin production.

so phenibut and valerian more for sleeping REM and STJWort and 5HTP for seritonin?

Pretty much, though I'm not sure the mechanism behind SJW for depression is completely mapped out and agreed on.

Some good articles on a few of these here:
**broken link removed**

I have used it off and on for a long time. This winter I have used it in combo with my St. Johns and high intake of D. It does make a difference vs not having it. I also take a low .25mg of prami. I wish phenibut did not have the tolerance issues because the day after Phenibut I feel so good.

I also get very good sleep with the 5htp. I will take 200-300mg pre bed.

I have used 50mg 3x/day for appetite suppression and the results were subtle but noticeable.

I used 5-htp after coming off Celexa. Wanted something that didn't have side effects. Sexual side effects anyway. I have used it for anxiety and depression. Doesn't really seem to help with either for me. The one thing it seems to help with is sleep. So I take 200mg at bedtime. Probably won't use it again after I use up the bottle.

People have summed it up. I manage a supplementation shop so gain regular feedback for most products mentioned above. 5-HTP gets excellent reviews from most people. Best to be used to promote relaxation (mood enhancer) and to help with sleep. Got to say though I tried it and it just made me feel alittle weird and affected my sleep in a bad way. Whoever is using 300mg is using too high a dose imo. 100mg is plenty. I only used it a few times (so didn't test it properly) but had the same negative effects each time so haven't bothered trying again. I would say for most it is a very useful product. If your taking for stress/feeling low I would rec 50mg in the day and 50mg before bed and see how that goes.

The others mentioned can all be useful. St John's Wort is prescribed more than anti-depressants in Germany. That because of it's effectiveness and of course cost (compared to the likes of prozac etc). I would say though it is best used for mild/moderate depression. Side effects are minimal and effect about 10% of users. Although it may potentially reduce the effectiveness of several pharmaceutical drugs so I imagine many of us would have to be careful :)

My fav bedtime supplement (besides zinc) is GABA. That is excellent at putting you in stage 5 of sleep for sustained periods (REM). Powdered forms are best as you need to take a decent amount (1-3g imo).

Last edited:
so for DEPRESSION and ANXIETY which is the best

STJOHNS WORT IS good i can vouch..

kava is to hepatoxic

whats the next best thing???

5htp is also considered a precursor to melatonin, via serotonin production.

ok well melanotonnin makes me sleepy its a deriv of tryptophane *spelling

which is best to increase seritonin in daytime? i have anxiety/depression

Did nothing for me:(

I was taking it for insomnia..

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads