over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Anxiety?

marbalizer99

Registered
I'm guessing I'm not along here and hoping someone can help me figure out what is up.

I've always been nervous in large groups of people I didn't know, speaking in front of people, approaching women, etc (everything most people are nervous about).

However in middle school I started blushing a lot, I mean my face will turn red from the slightest thing that makes me nervous or makes me the center of attention. It was like a double-edged sword through h.s. I started to enjoy public speaking but my face would get beat-red so I wouldn't do it unless I had to. I liked making jokes in groups, but again same thing.

I'm graduating college now and it has gotten worse lately. Now my face gets red, and I start sweating (body gets very hot). The sweating subsides but my face stays red and my body quickly cools down but not before sweating enough that it is dripping down my face. Same thing started happening around women I don't know, or when I get in situations that make me the center of attention (doing something stupid...or funny...even around friends which is unusual). I'm a very outgoing person but this is starting to make me shy again like I was in h.s. for the same reason. Most of college I said f' it, its just a red face, but now I'm sweating too which is going to hurt me in the workplace and my personal life.

Is something like Zoloft something I should look into? I would really like to get this under control so that I can stand infront of a group of clients or friends and not sweat and turn red (I don't mind being nervous...everyone gets that way).

I've tried controlling it, i've tried ignoring it. Now I'm 23 and have been dealing with it since I was 14 probably. I'm ready to get rid of it.

I appreciate any help.

Hey man, those kind of drugs (zoloft etc) aint gonna help you, thats only running from the problem.

You have unintentionally "programmed" your mind to tell your body to flush etc when you are nervous etc...

Your brain feels your nervousity and "responds" exactly like it has done hundreds times before. It flushes. It think it is supposed to respond that way.
Your mind>body think the proper way of dealing with nervousity is to Flush etc... and now you have start sweatin too, thats because you have fear and anxiety for flushing in public so your body responds like its a threat sort of n you get all messed up.

You can reprogram your mind out of this...

Look up Paul Mckenna he is an expert on reprogramming.

But i bet there is many more, search around the net for reprogramming your brain mind etc...

I promise you, you can change this easy man. You may not think that now but beleive me!

If you take zoloft and the like you will just get addicted to them and not function without em, and eventually you will be a mental wreck. Forget zoloft etc PLS.

Like i said, its about reprogrammin the mind, and everyone can do it!

Good luck man!

Anxiety

I was on the marketing launch team of a major SSRI. (Zoloft, Paxil, Prozac etc)

You should go down to student health and speak to a health care provider. Do not listen to people who say you are weak or running away from your problems. Reprogramming may work for a lot of people, but it's certainly not accepted science. But to be honest I don't know much about it other than dianetics. But just like any chronic disease like diabetes, arthritis, ect, mental illness very often has a physical cause (chemical imbalances - too little seratonin - you are born that way, not weak.) Go talk to a doc. The drugs can really make a positive difference in how you interact with the world. Millions and millions of people's lives have been dramatically improved. And staying on a Zoloft like product long term has not led to people becoming mental wrecks.

I'd be careful asking for advice. My advice as well. Go talk to a doc.

Last edited:
I appreciate both of your responses more than you know.

I've been dealing with this and just kinda trying to ignore it for so long and its to the point that it's pissing me off. I can run a project team very well, but my face is red and now I start sweating. I'm a very outgoing person and enjoy being a project leader, public speaker, approaching girls my friends won't and dare me to :D but these things are just getting out of control and a red face will work in middle school, high school, and college, but its going to hurt me in the workplace.

I'm actually out of school now, will graduate in a week and am spending some time at home just hanging with the gf and some friends so going to the student health won't be an option. I'm willing to pay for therapy and my parents might be willing to too (its just difficult explaining this to them, they've seen it happen to me at family events and such, but they don't understand it but will listen).

Is there any type of therapist/counselor I should look-up ?

suggestion

First, talk to a health care professional- psychiatrist or psychologist (my preference). A particular counselor? A psychologist who has relationships with medication providers or a family care/internist/nurse-practitioner/physician assistant who knows a psychologist!!

Happens to me too! It is likely a (mild) panic attack, not the disabling "I think I am dying or going to go crazy" kind. Flushing, sweating, heart palpitations, etc.
Very common and can be managed, but rarely entirely eliminated. Its annoying as hell and seems to surface randomly?

It sounds like your concern now is fear of another "attack" and the social and interpersonal consequences (not full criteria for panic disorder without agoraphobia). Incredibly annoying and inconsistent emergence of symptoms? No particular triggers? Totally unexpected or spontaneous? Recurrent?

I am familiar with the treatment modalities (evidenced-based) for panic attacks/disorder. I can direct you to some information is you so desire. Psychotherapy (cognitive strategies and behavioral experiments) produce effective results and provide easily accessible skills. These require WORK!! You sound motivated so maybe a good match...

Medications can be helpful; however, avoid the use of benzos (unless the attacks markedly interfere with your academic/occupational/social functioning). Propranolol can be helpful at 10 to 20mg 45 min before activity. However, this provides temporary relief. Some SSRI's work well, likely better when combined with psychotherapy.

I am a fan of a combined approach, depending on your personality, lifestyle, etc. If relaxation or cognitive restructuring/rehersal are ineffective (in one particular situation), then having access to propranolol (in your pocket) may provide a sense of security and real relief if needed.

Good work asking for help...very rare.

Graduation?? From where and what degree? NICE!

Last edited:
My responses are all in bold below. Thank you for taking the time to make your post!

First, talk to a health care professional- psychiatrist or psychologist (my preference). A particular counselor? A psychologist who has relationships with medication providers or a family care/internist/nurse-practitioner/physician assistant who knows a psychologist!!

I'll look into this tomorrow!

Happens to me too! It is likely a (mild) panic attack, not the disabling "I think I am dying or going to go crazy" kind. Flushing, sweating, heart palpitations, etc.
Very common and can be managed, but rarely entirely eliminated. Its annoying as hell and seems to surface randomly?

It's sometimes random, but usually its whenever I do something that will make me the center of attention whether it be a joke, approach, meeting a new person, public speaking, etc

It sounds like your concern now is fear of another "attack" and the social and interpersonal consequences (not full criteria for panic disorder without agoraphobia). Incredibly annoying and inconsistent emergence of symptoms? No particular triggers? Totally unexpected or spontaneous? Recurrent?

Correct, except the trigger is very obvious for me...center of attention, knowing that I will be it, or it happening. I mean my last presentation I didn't even have to speak and all the sudden it started.

I am familiar with the treatment modalities (evidenced-based) for panic attacks/disorder. I can direct you to some information is you so desire. Psychotherapy (cognitive strategies and behavioral experiments) produce effective results and provide easily accessible skills. These require WORK!! You sound motivated so maybe a good match...

I'm ready to try anything, I've already downloaded some stuff by Paul Mckenna that wostok mentioned and will listen to it tomorrow.

Medications can be helpful; however, avoid the use of benzos (unless the attacks markedly interfere with your academic/occupational/social functioning). Propranolol can be helpful at 10 to 20mg 45 min before activity. However, this provides temporary relief. Some SSRI's work well, likely better when combined with psychotherapy.

Doesn't really hurt social functioning because I have a gf so I don't NEED to approach girls and I can deal with "wow your face is red." However, the occupational thing really worries me. I'm very business minded and very good at leading groups, but I feel speaking publically and sweating and having a red face will really hurt my chances at progressing in the workplace.

I am a fan of a combined approach, depending on your personality, lifestyle, etc. If relaxation or cognitive restructuring/rehersal are ineffective (in one particular situation), then having access to propranolol (in your pocket) may provide a sense of security and real relief if needed.

I'll look into propranolol tomorrow too, THANK YOU for recommending it. Sounds like something to at least start with and hopefully not need to move onto other daily medications.

Good work asking for help...very rare.

I think I'm just fed up with it at this point. I was going to make a new screen name but decided that everyone who knows me already knows this anyway, its not a condition you can really hide :rolleyes:

Graduation?? From where and what degree? NICE!

Thank you....Virginia Tech, Mechanical Engineering

No of course "reprogramming the mind" with simple brain exercises isnt proved by "science"* (*the scientist who decides whats legit or not works for the medical industry, they wont prove anything they cant make money of).

But there is lots of famous pscychologists that use this method, just that the media and the medical companys convince people the answer is in their pills (that you buy from them).

At least i tried... its up to you to be smart about it...

Advice

Wostak makes very compelling points with his constructive advise. As does everyone else. My strong advice is not to treat this on your own, like many of us do here with our DVDs. This really is different. Don't just order things on line. Your primary care physician is a great place to start.

Marbalizer, I have been a mobile dj for many years now. Almost every single friday and saturday I deal with anywhere between 150 to 300 people at a wedding. I have never seen these people before. EVER! But I have to walk in to the reception hall and get to know these people in a matter of seconds. And within the first hour I have to take charge of the wedding reception in order to make the next 4 or 5 hours go smoothly. Believe me it is a nerve wrecking thing. No matter how many times or how many countless jobs I have done. Every single wedding makes me nervous as heck!

What I find that works for me is finding one or two people before the affair starts and talking with them. Find out their names and what they do for a living. SCHMOOOZE with them. This helps me now when I am starting to talk on the microphone to focus more on the one or two people I have schmoozed with and direct my eyes towards them. It makes me feel like I have a few friends in the crowd and I am talking directly to them. And not the other 200 people in the room.

And I myself was taking Zoloft too. But I was taking it for other reasons.

Try this out, find a local church in your area. See if they have a childrens center where they are talked and read to during service. Volunteer to talk to these children and read to these children. If you can keep their focus and get them interested in you, talking to adults no mater what the size or situation is will be a piece of cake. Good luck bro.

From someone with severe panic disorder, DON'T turn to drugs... your situation is really mild and you seem like a good candidate for Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy. Sure you are sweating and turning red but you can still function normally, you just seem to have a tad of social anxiety..... I can barely leave the house at times from my panic disorder, it's at this point that you need strong drugs just to cope with day to day necessities, in your case, don't waste the time or money.... because if you go to a doc, I can almost guarantee they will just throw a random SSRI at you which you don't need and they are hell to come off of without proper tapering (which most doctors seem oblivious to).

I would say find a good therapist if possible, if not one of the good programs like Luncinda Basset's the Linden Method might also be of good help. Like you said, you will always feel nervous, that is normal, you just want to minimize your reaction to it and keep it from getting worse. You will likely always have the blushing/sweating reaction though, that's just your response to being nervous, everyone has their own. In the meantime don't feel too embarrassed, sure blushing might be a bit more noticeable and embarrassing than sweaty palms and twitching hands but EVERYONE feels self-conscious about their little habits when nervous. Good Luck.

Thanks for everyone's reply's. I'm certainly not going to "self-diagnose" and order medications online.

I really liked what I read about Propranolol but what worries me about that is I feel like I would become dependent on it and anytime I don't have a pill an hr before an event that will trigger the anxiety...I'm going to have twice as much anxiety.

I'm going to listen to the Paul McKenna stuff today and try to find a therapist to see what they say. I've tried constantly putting myself in situations that make this occur (project leader, public speaking, etc) to make it go away, but it doesn't. I can't even raise my hand in class sitting amongst my friends and ask a question without my face getting red and god forbid the teacher ask me a follow-up question...here comes the sweat

It's just annoying b/c of how outgoing I am. I let it take over me in h.s. and was the "shy" kid. Once I really started eating and putting on size, I started getting more attention (which is nice) but that's what triggers everything.

My biggest question now is HOW do I pick a psychologist? I searched and there are A LOT of them but I don't know how to pick which one to see.

Last edited:
Thanks for everyone's reply's. I'm certainly not going to "self-diagnose" and order medications online.

I really liked what I read about Propranolol but what worries me about that is I feel like I would become dependent on it and anytime I don't have a pill an hr before an event that will trigger the anxiety...I'm going to have twice as much anxiety.

I'm going to listen to the Paul McKenna stuff today and try to find a therapist to see what they say. I've tried constantly putting myself in situations that make this occur (project leader, public speaking, etc) to make it go away, but it doesn't. I can't even raise my hand in class sitting amongst my friends and ask a question without my face getting red and god forbid the teacher ask me a follow-up question...here comes the sweat

It's just annoying b/c of how outgoing I am. I let it take over me in h.s. and was the "shy" kid. Once I really started eating and putting on size, I started getting more attention (which is nice) but that's what triggers everything.

My biggest question now is HOW do I pick a psychologist? I searched and there are A LOT of them but I don't know how to pick which one to see.

Word of mouth reputation, same way you know the sponsors here are legit. You can probably find reviews online for a lot of the more well known doctors in the area.

If you are in college and have a psych. department I'm sure a few of the professors would know of a few good therapists, you can just shoot them an email and ask.

Word of mouth reputation, same way you know the sponsors here are legit. You can probably find reviews online for a lot of the more well known doctors in the area.

If you are in college and have a psych. department I'm sure a few of the professors would know of a few good therapists, you can just shoot them an email and ask.

I'm done college so not so much of an option. Also, being 23 I don't really know anyone that goes to a therapist (or anyone that admits to it) so word-of-mouth is kinda hard. I know it's expensive and am willing to shell out a little money, but I don't have the money to be jumping around from therapist to therapist.

Also, anyone know what a "normal" hourly rate is on the East Coast?

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Deecrume
NapsGear