over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Are BP meds bad?

JCain

Registered
My blood pressure has been 130/80 to 140/90 for some time now, and if I gain any weight it tends to stay more towards the upper end of things. I've been looking into getting some BP meds and was thinking about something.

If your body is trying to raise its blood pressure, perhaps it is necessary for optimal blood flow (or another necessary reason?). While taking BP meds can bring your BP down to a safe level (for kidneys and lowered arterial stress), would this simultaneously hinder proper blood flow?

I know this comes to the whole point of treating the symptom and not the cause. My diet is good and I do regular cardio, and have never had a problem until gaining a significant amount of weight. This decision is more of an artificial solution while I gain more weight--sort of a give and take sort of deal. I do take AAS, but have never had a problem with BP until my weight hit about 230. If I go above 245 or so it really becomes a problem.

Anyway, I am asking if there is any inherent danger in taking BP meds to counteract a bodily process that is meant to bring proper functioning (proper blood flow?). I'd appreciate any input and a point in the right direction for literature.

Your BP going up is never a good thing. Med's can safely bring them back down and keep them leveled. I am assuming when you say "should i try bp med's?" you are doing this with your doctors approval?

Your number do not seem to be that far off. Are you going to jump over the eat right, get plenty of sleep, drink lots of water, take a good fish oil supplement advice and go straight for the meds? I hope not. Your systolic number(top number) is ok so far, The 140 is stage 1 of hypertension and can be controlled for now with what I said above. The bottom number (diastolic) 80-90 is pretty good so far. It's prehypertension but can be controlled without meds.

Yes, I'm sure professionalmuscle.com is the best place for a medical diagnosis.
:confused:

I see your point, but a lot of people on here that "use" don't have that open of a relationship with their doctor.

I don't see anything wrong with asking to see if anyone else has any experience in those issues as there are quite a bit of professionals on these boards, but I would still consult my doctor before making a final deciscion about anything.

My blood pressure has been 130/80 to 140/90 for some time now, and if I gain any weight it tends to stay more towards the upper end of things. I've been looking into getting some BP meds and was thinking about something.

If your body is trying to raise its blood pressure, perhaps it is necessary for optimal blood flow (or another necessary reason?). While taking BP meds can bring your BP down to a safe level (for kidneys and lowered arterial stress), would this simultaneously hinder proper blood flow?

I know this comes to the whole point of treating the symptom and not the cause. My diet is good and I do regular cardio, and have never had a problem until gaining a significant amount of weight. This decision is more of an artificial solution while I gain more weight--sort of a give and take sort of deal. I do take AAS, but have never had a problem with BP until my weight hit about 230. If I go above 245 or so it really becomes a problem.

Anyway, I am asking if there is any inherent danger in taking BP meds to counteract a bodily process that is meant to bring proper functioning (proper blood flow?). I'd appreciate any input and a point in the right direction for literature.

The top numbers you posted are still pre-hypertensive. I think you are well advised to see your family Dr., but suspect they will give you a lecture about diet ( fat's and sodium ) before putting you on any meds.

With respect to taking BP meds . . . my Dr ( as recently as last week ) said there is no evidence that longterm use will have any negative effects on the body what so ever.

Do see your doctor however.

Boo

I see your point, but a lot of people on here that "use" don't have that open of a relationship with their doctor.

I don't see anything wrong with asking to see if anyone else has any experience in those issues as there are quite a bit of professionals on these boards, but I would still consult my doctor before making a final deciscion about anything.

I think that's incredibly scary, that people try to diagnosis and prescribe medications for themselves.
It's one thing to research, but then to prescribe? :(

Just shows the huge difference between the medical systems in the US and Canada.

I can openly and honestly talk to my doctor about anything/everything and it doesn't 1 effect.my health insurance rates or acceptability or 2. end up on any 'see all' record, as everything is kept fully confidential and private.

:(

I think that's incredibly scary, that people try to diagnosis and prescribe medications for themselves.
It's one thing to research, but then to prescribe? :(

Just shows the huge difference between the medical systems in the US and Canada.

I can openly and honestly talk to my doctor about anything/everything and it doesn't 1 effect.my health insurance rates or acceptability or 2. end up on any 'see all' record, as everything is kept fully confidential and private.

:(

Oh...I would definately not prescribe myself anything :) . But I wouldn't have a problem asking a question on here about something to get a general answer that I could then ask my doctor about.

I figure the more options I could present to him, the better chance I would have at any treatment if I need it.

It's the bodyweight blowing your BP up if everything else is normal.
Mine got out of control when I hit in the 280's and have been on meds since 1999. I can't imagine if I left it untreated it got pretty high 165/110 at it's highest, it runs 120/80 now but can be 130/90 when stressed.

I would see your doc, and get his diagnosis. they usually make you get it measured 3x, 3 different visits, and if its high each time they will prescribe something. I am personally similar to you in that my BP was higher when I got heavy and while on cycle. I finally got on an ACE inhibitor, Benicar 40mg, and it has been a very mild way to treat the high bp. Its well controlled now with no sides. The standard the medical community uses now for desireable BP is below 120/80. They have set the standard even lower now.

Thanks for the input

I should have made it clear that I am currently discussing this issue with my doc. I have had my BP measured every other day or so the past week, and intermittently before that, so he knows it's chronic. It's not hypertensive just yet, but he also knows I want to gain more weight and that with everything else in check (diet, cardio, etc.) it is a viable way to be healthy about gaining weight. I do regular cardio, eat my veggies, tons of water, and 20-50g of fish oil every day (I eat a ton of MUFA, so it all balances out).

My main question was "are BP meds bad?" If the body is trying to raise blood pressure to compensate for something (in my case it is likely bodyweight), would decreasing the BP artificially though meds cause a problem (such as impaired blood flow?). I'm sure it's not that big of a deal as many, many overweight people take BP meds, but most are also not muscular to any significant degree. I'm asking to education myself and start a conversation to get various opinions on this question (provided I've overlooked a simple answer).

Some of the high blood pressure can be due to water retention, and by increasing the diameter of your blood vessles the medicines will actually increase blood flow. You would only worry about bad effects from lower your bp when your blood pressure becomes hypotensive, and thats rather low. I dont know the numbers where they worry, but my wife walks around with a BP of 105/60 or so and there has never been a concern.

Okay But if you are going to talk to your doctor about

your BP than talk to your doctor about the steroids you are on. massive is potentially correct that it is body weight. although i would say it is weight caused by water retention on cycle. Your top number will go up with anxiety. Somepeople have mild increases in blood pressure of the lower number to 90 whenever a doctor or nurse comes up and puts a blood pressure cuff on them. It's the "whitecoat syndrome". and if you go into your doctor peaking on a cycle for another unrelated issue and you are anxious about your obvious steroid use when they go to put the cuff on you you maybe elevated. doctors will have you take the blood pressure throughout the day at the pharmacy or at home where there won't be the addition anxiety.

The problem is that people who are full of water tend to have higher pressure in their pipes. Armidex may limit this and there may be better drugs available to assure you don't have excessive bloat. I suspect if you take one of those noe stimulating diet aides and offload fluid for 24-36 hours and then take your BP you will know whether it is something unrelated to your cycle. It just has to be non stimulating.

But heres the problem significant elevations of the lower number for long periods of time is dangerous and should be brought down. It is only a physician who has the knowledge to properly treat your blood pressure.

I would love to have blood pressures for every guy in muscledevelopment magazine and also know what guys are controlled with BP meds. Todays BP meds should have much less side effects then 20 years ago and so I am under the impression that their use is almost unoticable as far as negative side effects.

But if it is steroid induced, do you want to be on them when you are off cycle or do you go on them when on cycle and off them when off cycle? I have no idea what the answer is.

And do you go into your doctor for BP problems without admitting you are cycling. I have no idea what the answer is.

When one injects for the first time, one changes everything. One opens themselves up to the best of times, but also times of confusion on many medical issues. The dosages don't go down until you are ready to say I will quit altogether or go on HRT. You can never go back and no what it would have been like if you had never started. I am not sure you would want to.

As someone said "doctors are not LE "

Allbeef

I can say from my personal experience that beta blockers suck. The doc originally had me go on these even though I urged him not to try it on me.I have asthma and knew that they could aggrevate that but he thought it was rare. I reluctantly tried. They made me lethargic to the point where I wanted to sleep all the time. As far as the asthma they aggrevated that too. It was a terrible choice for me.

Somepeople have mild increases in blood pressure of the lower number to 90 whenever a doctor or nurse comes up and puts a blood pressure cuff on them. It's the "whitecoat syndrome".

The problem is that people who are full of water tend to have higher pressure in their pipes. I suspect if you take one of those noe stimulating diet aides and offload fluid for 24-36 hours and then take your BP you will know whether it is something unrelated to your cycle. It just has to be non stimulating.

But if it is steroid induced, do you want to be on them when you are off cycle or do you go on them when on cycle and off them when off cycle? I have no idea what the answer is.

And do you go into your doctor for BP problems without admitting you are cycling. I have no idea what the answer is.

When one injects for the first time, one changes everything. One opens themselves up to the best of times, but also times of confusion on many medical issues. The dosages don't go down until you are ready to say I will quit altogether or go on HRT. You can never go back and no what it would have been like if you had never started. I am not sure you would want to.

Allbeef

To answer your questions, and give some background info on myself:

I don't have any anxiety in the doc office. I've been to the doctor way to many times, and I know my doc well enough, to care if I'm going to have whitecoat syndrome.

I am currently on a low-carb diet (in fact I'm almost always on a low-carb diet due to food allergies). If I have water-retention from carbs or AAS I definitely have an increase in BP and the doc knows this.

I am currently ending a mild cycle of test e and masteron e, though AAS don't significantly affect my BP unless I take orals (which I tend not to do anymore) or very high amounts. In the past six months my BP has remained about the same regardless of AAS, but I have also been at the same weight for the past six months.

I'm assuming AAS are not a huge factor at this point. I have also considered the different in dosing between on and off cycle. My doctor knows I work out and am on HRT (I have been since I was about 20, before steroid use began. It is also the reason I decided to finally juice). He knows I want to gain weight and am very active and lift heavy things multiple times per week. I never mentioned my AAS use beyond HRT, but we talk as though it's a given.

Thanks for the feedback!

When you buy shoes, do you not ask a girlfriend where she gets her shoes from and whats the best deal out there?

When you go to eat at a resturaunt do you not ask your friends "where a good place to eat"?

When you go get your hair done do you not ask someone who has a nice hair style "hey where did you get that hairstyle at"?

YES YOU DO!

So then why knock a guy for coming on a board and ask about BP meds? IF you haven't been here that long you would see that many folks on here have many medical issues. We have all been there and done that. I can't see a better place to ask about BP meds then right here! (besides his doctor)

I want this printed at the top of Pro Muscle on EVERY Forum!

Dad I agree

But there is still a need to share our experience in hopes that the guy can make the best choice. The best choice may not be to run to the doctor about your high blood pressure if you want to have low life ensurance rates.
My absess thread was just what someone who had cystic acne for ten years and had plenty of evperience draining absesses. Again being in the medical profession i have access to the information I need to weigh the pros and cons of seeing the doctor. Everybodys need are different and we should be able to share our experience.

Thank you for being a necessarry reminder of the limits of these discussions.

Allbeef

I would stay away from the beta blockers, they have a reputation of making you tired and lethargic, in addition to killing your sex drive.

Most of the ACE inhibitors and ARBs are a good candidate for high BP and don't kill your sex life. The ARBs are more expensive because they haven't been around very long. My insurance company won't pay for them unless something else has been tried first.

Your numbers don't look that high. 140/90 is borderline, and your AAS usage is probably causing it. At this point keep a close eye on it. If it gets worse, see your doc and cut back on the AAS.

You definitely need to keep in touch with your doc on this.

WHY???

I want this printed at the top of Pro Muscle on EVERY Forum!

DO YOU PUT ABSOLUTE FAITH IN A DOCTOR'S HANDS?

IS THERE NO SUCH THING AS A SECOND OPINION, PARTICULARLY FROM THOSE WHO HAVE LIVED WITH/DEALT WITH SIMILAR/THE EXACT SAME ISSUES?

HOW WELL DO YOU THINK MOST MD'S ACTUALLY UNDERSTAND ANYTHING, ESPECIALLY AS IT RELATES TO OUR SPORT/HOBBY/LIFESTYLE?

WAS IT NOT AN MD THAT KILLED MOMO BENANZIA WITH HIS HORRIBLE/NEGLIGENT MIS-DIAGNOSIS?

I WOULD THINK IT WOULD BE MORE DANGEROUS NOT TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS HEALTH RELATED ISSUES AMONG OTHER MEMBERS ON THIS BOARD.

I AGREE THAT THIS BOARD SHOULD NOT BE THE SOLE PLACE THAT MEMBERS SEEK MEDICAL ADVICE, BUT I FEEL BEING ABLE TO COME HERE AND DISCUSS THESE ISSUES IS AN INVALUABLE TOOL IN MAINTAINING OUR HEALTH.

Last edited:

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner