over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Are carbs REALLY needed on REST days?

I think he meant he wouldn't have the same kind of intensity and wouldn't have as good of a workout. I doubt he meant the workout was useless, unless he chimes in and tells me I am wrong.

If you decide to go ketogenic, and get past the adaptation phase, your workouts will be every bit as intense as a carbohydrate fueled workout.

This is one of my points. A lot of people decide to go low carb. Why? Everyone's doing it. So they start limiting carbs pretty aggressively, don't adjust their fat or protein intake. About three days into it they feel like ass and their workout sucks. They then determine the only way to have an intense workout is to be on carbs.

This is much like a heroin addict that feels like the only way to get through the day is to be high. Sure, while you're body is still hooked on it, you will. Once your body gets past the withdrawal phase you'll want to get out of bed. People try to quit and then before the switch has really occurred they say screw it.

Ketones can be a powerfully effective energy source, and with much less oxidative damage, but you gotta convince your body to surrender and shift over.

I won't go catabolic and on training days I follow john meadows on pre..intra and post workout nutrition so I should be pretty well covered?

You will not go catabolic simply because you're not consuming carbohydrate. Especially if you're using AAS, that pretty much seals the deal. Are you in a super-anabolic state? Meh, not as much because your insulin will be quiet. But you've already stated your goal is to recomp.

Going "catabolic" is a misnomer.

1) You really have to work hard to deplete all glycogen stores to the point where denovo glucogenesis has to occur. If you're refilling them pre, intra and post workout then you're sparing glycogen and then even saving some up. So the next day, and even the rest of that training day, you'll be just fine.

2) Going catabolic is just as much a caloric deprivation induced state, and doesn't have anything to do with one particular macro like carbs. I don't know why people have a hard time believing fat can be used for energy. Even if you're not in a ketogenic state, your body will burn fat for energy all the time, provided you don't have some horrible metabolic disease that affects your kreb's cycle. MCT oil is an even better choice. Next preworkout, use MCT or coconut milk instead of carbs, throw in some BCAA or whey isolate and watch how well your workout will go.

3) But if you do low carb, know your brain is going to play tricks on you. It's like trying to cut down on cigarettes versus just quitting and getting past the hump. So just let go of the anxiety around it and know you're stubborn little brain is gonna fuck with you for a while.

So..you'd have glycerol around your workouts?

Sent from my PMP5580C using Tapatalk 4

Glycerol will provide you energy no matter when you consume it.
It does not cause an insulin response on its own and DOES NOT spare glycogen.

Consuming it around your workout will not cause you to burn less stored glycogen, but it will still give you calories to burn.

I don't use it at all, there are calories I would rather take in from other sources besides glycerol.

carbs=glucose, if carbs are not essential why body converts protein to glocose? Carbs as a food source is not essential because of glucogenesis, eliminate glucogenesis - bodies ability convert protein to glucose and carbs would be essential. Body needs protein, fats and carbs-glucose, they all are essential.

The body converts protein to glucose because it wants to follow the path of least resistance. It's easier to convert protein into glucose than it is to start making ketones, which your body and brain can live on. But once the body makes the switch to ketones, then glucose is no longer essential.

Besides, "essential" is being used incorrectly in this conversation. When we refer to something being nutritionally essential, it simply means that the body must receive it from an outside source. Certain amino acids are essential because we cannot convert other aminos in those aminos. Certain fats are essential as well, because while the body can make triglycerides from glucose, they can't make omega-3's for instance. Essential simply means our body must get it from external food sources. Even if our body makes glucose from protein, while you might not think it is optimal that doesn't mean it makes carbohydrate essential. And as I've already said, even glucose is not essential when the body has switched over to ketones as its fuel source.

Glycerol will provide you energy no matter when you consume it.
It does not cause an insulin response on its own and DOES NOT spare glycogen.

Consuming it around your workout will not cause you to burn less stored glycogen, but it will still give you calories to burn.

I don't use it at all, there are calories I would rather take in from other sources besides glycerol.

thanks for pointing out the conversion to glucose from glycogen. When I mentioned it, I was simply interested in giving people a way to increase cellular hydration without causing a major influx of carbs. But you're right, I failed to realize it converts to glucose.

I actually believe I have put a little mass on. Not a lot, but enough that I have noticed. I definitely have not lost as much weight as I 'should' have given the change in body fat % over these past 12 - 14 weeks.

10-4

Do you think better progress could've been achieved by going the "traditional" route opposed to IF?

10-4

Do you think better progress could've been achieved by going the "traditional" route opposed to IF?

It'd be hard to tell unless I went back to a normal eating routine for a couple months and compared directly. I will be honest however, I haven't really noticed a huge difference.

I definitely don't want to give anybody the impression that I think IF is an optimal way of dieting. There is some evidence that periods of fasting can have positive effects on the body, but there really hasn't been any research that's shown IF or any other form of fasted diet works better than a traditional eating routine.

I've been trying it for the past 3 months because I was curious and wanted to test it out myself, and I'm lazy and don't like getting up early to cook breakfast in the morning. I will say without a doubt that IF is not any worse than a traditional eating schedule. I eat lunch around 1 pm, have a shake post workout, and then eat a big meal around 8 pm. I haven't noticed any difference in energy or performance in the gym after cutting out breakfast.

The other thing that I am enjoying about IF, is the fact that I am able to eat bigger meals when I do eat, which are more satiating. Those calories I would have normally eaten at breakfast I can now add to lunch or dinner. I'm the type where if I'm going to eat, I'd rather eat a large meal that leaves me feeling full. Eating multiple smaller meals just pisses my stomach off and leaves me hungry a few hours later.

Last edited:
This is just my personal observation, but I see hundreds of people online claim they train just as hard or even better, "fasted" or damn near it, yet in my entire life have never seen a single human being ever train remotely close to what I would consider intense in that state. Absolutely never.

The more meals/calories/water I have in me, the more productive I feel my training is. That's just me. And while I know a lot of people say otherwise, I have never in my life actually witnessed, except on the magical land of the internet.

This is just my personal observation, but I see hundreds of people online claim they train just as hard or even better, "fasted" or damn near it, yet in my entire life have never seen a single human being ever train remotely close to what I would consider intense in that state. Absolutely never.

The more meals/calories/water I have in me, the more productive I feel my training is. That's just me. And while I know a lot of people say otherwise, I have never in my life actually witnessed, except on the magical land of the internet.

so this is probably 10-20 people....considering most people you see training you would have no idea whether or not theyre fasted

have you ever tried training fasted?....for atleast a month

I see this whole discussion as two different camps. One is bodybuilders after absolute maximum gains, the other is casual weight lifters after getting leaner and building a some muscle to look good. One is pushing the envelope regardless of the work involved, the other is after results that can be gained with the least discomfort/difficulty. There is only ONE path to absolute maximum gains (per individual) as it is impossible for any two things to be absolutely equal. I'm not saying I know what this path is, but I'm saying I know it exists. There are hundreds of paths to recomp and look good.

Recovery processes starts soon after training, maybe even during training, but I can make you sure these processes does not endbup with your post workout meal. When you are recovering from hard training every macronutrient is essential not enough carbs=waste of protein because some of your protein will turn to glucose,this leaves less protein for building myscle new tissue. And you get very little from your prew carbs,it is more important what you ate day(night) before your workout. Everyone is different but if I would go no carbs day before my workouts, I would waste my workout next day, maybe it could be needed to get ultra shredded, but I can not imagine someone doing that just to stay lean

Remember, training creates a very catabolic state. Proper nutrition is essential to pulling the body OUT of this catabolic state as soon as possible after training stops. (for maximum anabolism) Yes you can still grow/lean without this.

It takes days of not eating before your body goes into a starvation state.

Cortisol does not completely stop protein synthesis.

Fasting for short periods of time (12 - 18 hours) is not even remotely close to the state your body is in during starvation mode.

Your body is always in a balance of anabolism/catabolism. Not eating for several hours does not magically stop all anabolism and cause your body to start eating away at skeletal muscle.

My body goes into a starvation state about 3-4 hours after a large meal. It all depends on my metabolism (also reflected in thyroid levels). When I have my metabolism really cranked up (naturally) I can go into a starvation state in 2 hours after a large meal.

By "starvation state" I just mean being in a negative nitrogen balance.

This is EXTREMELY important, and counters what you said directly:

The body is ALWAYS either building up, or breaking down. There is no in between. Of course you don't have to always be in building mode to make gains, but again, if you after absolute maximum gains, you have to pay attention to this. If you are after recomp and looking great, gaining some muscle, this point is irrelevant.

I actually believe I have put a little mass on. Not a lot, but enough that I have noticed. I definitely have not lost as much weight as I 'should' have given the change in body fat % over these past 12 - 14 weeks.

You have no control (as you admit) but I'm glad it's working for you. Remember your methods are relative to your goals. When you preach your methods to other people, remember their goals might be different.

You will not go catabolic simply because you're not consuming carbohydrate. Especially if you're using AAS, that pretty much seals the deal. Are you in a super-anabolic state? Meh, not as much because your insulin will be quiet. But you've already stated your goal is to recomp.

Going "catabolic" is a misnomer.

1) You really have to work hard to deplete all glycogen stores to the point where denovo glucogenesis has to occur. If you're refilling them pre, intra and post workout then you're sparing glycogen and then even saving some up. So the next day, and even the rest of that training day, you'll be just fine.

2) Going catabolic is just as much a caloric deprivation induced state, and doesn't have anything to do with one particular macro like carbs. I don't know why people have a hard time believing fat can be used for energy. Even if you're not in a ketogenic state, your body will burn fat for energy all the time, provided you don't have some horrible metabolic disease that affects your kreb's cycle. MCT oil is an even better choice. Next preworkout, use MCT or coconut milk instead of carbs, throw in some BCAA or whey isolate and watch how well your workout will go.

3) But if you do low carb, know your brain is going to play tricks on you. It's like trying to cut down on cigarettes versus just quitting and getting past the hump. So just let go of the anxiety around it and know you're stubborn little brain is gonna fuck with you for a while.

I really don't think we are talking about the same type of people or people with similar goals. I would be carb depleted in the morning if I didn't eat carbs for me last two meals. Having a sense of your "fuel level" or how much stored carbohydrate you have isn't that hard if you have done a lot of dieting. Glycogen stores are very limited and came become depleted VERY quickly if you have a high metabolism and a lot of mass.

I'm not arguing against ketosis at all. To me this whole discussion has nothing to do with ketosis, that is an entirely different subject. We are talking high carbs vs low carbs. Ketosis is a whole different animal.

You are correct, and I agree, catabolic has nothing to do with carb intake, it's all calorie based. But EVERYONE is going catabolic if they don't eat for extend periods of time. Once you run out of digesting food, glycogen stores become depleted, no protein is digesting. The body has ONE choice, release cortisol and begin metabolizing muscle into glucose. Of course eventually you get to ketosis and this isn't necessary, but that is another story, as ketosis isn't reached that quickly.

The real question is, are you comfortable with kidneys processing all that nitrogenous waste? Sure you could point to studies that show it's fine, but these are on people who have zero additional kidney stress, NOT bodybuilders.

The body converts protein to glucose because it wants to follow the path of least resistance. It's easier to convert protein into glucose than it is to start making ketones, which your body and brain can live on. But once the body makes the switch to ketones, then glucose is no longer essential.

Besides, "essential" is being used incorrectly in this conversation. When we refer to something being nutritionally essential, it simply means that the body must receive it from an outside source. Certain amino acids are essential because we cannot convert other aminos in those aminos. Certain fats are essential as well, because while the body can make triglycerides from glucose, they can't make omega-3's for instance. Essential simply means our body must get it from external food sources. Even if our body makes glucose from protein, while you might not think it is optimal that doesn't mean it makes carbohydrate essential. And as I've already said, even glucose is not essential when the body has switched over to ketones as its fuel source.

By this logic, essential amino acids are not "essential" either. You can always catabolize them from other tissues. And of course carbs are essential as ketones do not effectively pass the blood brain barrier.

Again, I don't think ketosis belongs in this discussion.

I see this whole discussion as two different camps. One is bodybuilders after absolute maximum gains, the other is casual weight lifters after getting leaner and building a some muscle to look good. One is pushing the envelope regardless of the work involved, the other is after results that can be gained with the least discomfort/difficulty. There is only ONE path to absolute maximum gains (per individual) as it is impossible for any two things to be absolutely equal. I'm not saying I know what this path is, but I'm saying I know it exists. There are hundreds of paths to recomp and look good.

Remember, training creates a very catabolic state. Proper nutrition is essential to pulling the body OUT of this catabolic state as soon as possible after training stops. (for maximum anabolism) Yes you can still grow/lean without this.

My body goes into a starvation state about 3-4 hours after a large meal. It all depends on my metabolism (also reflected in thyroid levels). When I have my metabolism really cranked up (naturally) I can go into a starvation state in 2 hours after a large meal.

By "starvation state" I just mean being in a negative nitrogen balance.

This is EXTREMELY important, and counters what you said directly:

The body is ALWAYS either building up, or breaking down. There is no in between. Of course you don't have to always be in building mode to make gains, but again, if you after absolute maximum gains, you have to pay attention to this. If you are after recomp and looking great, gaining some muscle, this point is irrelevant.

You have no control (as you admit) but I'm glad it's working for you. Remember your methods are relative to your goals. When you preach your methods to other people, remember their goals might be different.

I really don't think we are talking about the same type of people or people with similar goals. I would be carb depleted in the morning if I didn't eat carbs for me last two meals. Having a sense of your "fuel level" or how much stored carbohydrate you have isn't that hard if you have done a lot of dieting. Glycogen stores are very limited and came become depleted VERY quickly if you have a high metabolism and a lot of mass.

I'm not arguing against ketosis at all. To me this whole discussion has nothing to do with ketosis, that is an entirely different subject. We are talking high carbs vs low carbs. Ketosis is a whole different animal.

You are correct, and I agree, catabolic has nothing to do with carb intake, it's all calorie based. But EVERYONE is going catabolic if they don't eat for extend periods of time. Once you run out of digesting food, glycogen stores become depleted, no protein is digesting. The body has ONE choice, release cortisol and begin metabolizing muscle into glucose. Of course eventually you get to ketosis and this isn't necessary, but that is another story, as ketosis isn't reached that quickly.

The real question is, are you comfortable with kidneys processing all that nitrogenous waste? Sure you could point to studies that show it's fine, but these are on people who have zero additional kidney stress, NOT bodybuilders.

By this logic, essential amino acids are not "essential" either. You can always catabolize them from other tissues. And of course carbs are essential as ketones do not effectively pass the blood brain barrier.

Again, I don't think ketosis belongs in this discussion.

My body goes into a starvation state about 3-4 hours after a large meal. It all depends on my metabolism (also reflected in thyroid levels). When I have my metabolism really cranked up (naturally) I can go into a starvation state in 2 hours after a large meal.. Could explain how you know and determine this? 2hrs after a large meal your stomach won't even be 1/2 emptied and the food will barely be part way through your small intestines.

Also catabolism isn't inherently bad or at least I thought. If you never catabolize anything you can never use fat in your body since catabolism is the process that also breaks down fat for energy

No control? Over what? I'm sorry but you do not know who I am or what my "goals" are. I know you you are a veteran on this board and think you know everything, but you do not.

I'm not preaching anything. I'm stating facts.

I'm not even going to touch your statements about 'starvation' and nitrogen balance. All I can do is shake my head. People will lap up everything you say because you have a great physique, and that's fine.

Last edited:
Kaladryn had to backpedal on several things before so maybe you shouldn't complain but discuss, invain ...then others might learn something.

No control? Over what? I'm sorry but you do not know who I am or what my "goals" are. I know you you are a veteran on this board and think you know everything, but you do not.

You are misunderstanding him. He wasn't referring to your self-control, he meant it in the research sense, i.e. you know what IF did for your body, but don't have another version of yourself consuming the same macros and doing the same training with a different meal frequency to see what actual difference the IF protocol made.

I tend to agree with Kaladryn on the big picture. IF and a lot of protocols will work for a guy wanting to be 190lbs and 9% bf; I tend to doubt these things will work nearly as well for someone who wants to be 230lbs in contest shape.

I think sometimes…some people…just make this shit way more complicated than it really has to be….

You wanna add “size” and have the BEST possible environment for muscle growth? HIGH CARB !

You wanna peel fat off as EFFICIENTLY as possible? ZERO CARB !

Its extremely simple.

Eat lots of carbohydrate meals spread throughout….That means constant glucose in the blood, keeps insulin elevated for basically the entire day….

Carbohydrate + Protein + Training = Protein synthesis AKA muscle

Now…on the other end of the spectrum…..

Eat NO carbohydrates….strictly protein and fat….and you keep much lowered levels of glucose in the blood, Insulin shuts the fuck up and what happens when you add cardio? Fat loss.

Yes, of course its possible to lose fat on high carb….but it is NOT the most efficient way…..

Yes, of COURSE you can grow lots of muscle on high protein and high fat….but on most bodies….its NOT the most efficient way…

Science proves that the largest protein synthesis spike comes from a protein containing minimum 5 grams of leucine combo'd with carbohydrate…

Science proves that by having very low levels of glucose in the blood, the body will utilize any stored energy it has….and that is body fat….

Diet macro’s are unique to every one of us. Some people NEED 800grams of carbs or MORE to grow…. Some only need 300….
Some people need 400 grams of protein to grow….Some people only need 200…. Everyone of us are 100% absolutely different….

Just because the fucker next to you can metabolize and churn his way through 3 pounds of pasta, doesn’t fucking mean YOU can….

The key is KNOWING your current level of energy within your body. You know damn fucking well what you ate 3 hours ago and what you ate 8 hours ago….
If you ate 2 wnole pies of pizza 3 hours ago, what makes u fucking think it’s a good idea to eat another 2 pies? No….wait your fat ass and allow your body to metabolize through 2 pies for the next 10-12 hours and then feed yourself again.

The body is like a gas tank. Theres an Empty….and theres a Full…

If you stop eating carbs for 5 days or more….fully depleteing…..youre gonna be running on fumes….those fumes we can consider as body fat. The longer and longer and longer you run on fumes…the more and more body fat you will lose….
If you pump tons and tons of “Gas” into your tank….talking 750 grams + per day for 5 days or more…youre gonna be FULL….Keep pumping “Gas” and the shit will start SPILLING OUT! At the end of the day…your genetics determine wether that SPILL OUT is all out body fat gain, all out muscle gain, or all out waste coming out of your ass.

I'm not looking to be a mass monster....aesthetics but big is my aim

Okay so a lot of stuff here is way to advanced and gone over my head. Haha

It's a complex question that you asked...with a lot of possible answers that vary from person to person. Lots of research and trial and error will tell you what works best for you. I suggest not putting too much stock in other's experiences, but do your research and whatever you try be sure to be strict for a while so you can get a real answer for you. Lack of precision in your nutrition is really the only way to go wrong because you'll never be able to figure out what works or doesn't.

There are so many tangential conversations in this thread it's hard to address the topic so I'll just throw some info out there that came up as I was reading.

- Your brain can run on ketones instead of glucose, but ketones will only supply up to about 75% required energy requirements, so some glucose is still needed for the cells that are too small (or have small tendrils) to use ketones. (1)

- While there may be more strain on the liver to produce glucose through gluconeogenesis on a low carb diet, the converse is that it is actually much more efficient to make ATP from ketone bodies than glucose which means there is less garbage left in the mitochondria of your cells.

- While most ketones are generated in the liver and may not be able to pass the blood brain barrier, astrocytes in the brain can actually generate ketones for use by the neurons. (2)

- On a low carb diet for people who train, it is important to know the brain can also run on lactate. And actually the brain not only runs more efficiently, but given the choice lactate is preferred over glucose. (3)

- When glucose isn't present, as was alluded to earlier, gluconeogenesis is not the only pathway to create it. Glycerol can also be used to create glucose, albeit only 21.6%. Regardless it doesn't all have to come from your muscels. And since glycerol is a byproduct of fat metabolism, it can come from either dietary fat, or adipose tissue. (4)

So as far as physiological minimums requirements for glucose to function for a day, it is probably around 30g. IMHO if you have proper periworkout nutrition and eat enough carbs to fuel your workout and recovery then rest days don't need many carbs. Just my thoughts...

(1) **broken link removed**

(2) Ketone body synthes... [Prostaglandins Leukot Essent Fatty Acids. 2004] - PubMed - NCBI

(3) In Vivo Evidence for Lactate as a Neuronal Energy Source

(4) Glycerol gluconeogenesis in fasting humans. [Nutrition. 1995 Mar-Apr] - PubMed - NCBI

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws