advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

back against seat when doing incline presses?

weight

Banned
was wondering who all tens to arch there backs some when doing presses and particulary the inclines? i can t seem to keep it flat and was wondering how bad this could end up long term? if i try to keep it flat i cant seem to do half as much weight

pounds

are you concerned with how much weight you can lift with poor technique or do you want to work the target muscle you are training?

def trying to target the muscle, so are ya saying when ya arch your not targeting that muscle at all?

example

as an example i used to do flat bench presses like a powerlifter with an arch in my back and my butt barely touching the bench. i could definately handle more weight but my pecs improved drastically when i started benching with my feet up and totally flat against the bench. i don't bench at all now due to years of shoulder problems but my goal even on compound movements is to isolate the target muscle by eliminating momentum and leverage from support muscles. i hope this helps.

Your back should naturally arch if you have your shoulders in the lowest position to achieve maximum pectoral involvement; as in shoulder blades clenched together and your shoulders pulled down towards your body. Now, if you mean your back arches because your driving with your feet and turning it into a powerlifting movement, then that's more of a technique to lift more weight rather than focusing on the targeted muscle.

Last edited:
as an example i used to do flat bench presses like a powerlifter with an arch in my back and my butt barely touching the bench. i could definately handle more weight but my pecs improved drastically when i started benching with my feet up and totally flat against the bench. i don't bench at all now due to years of shoulder problems but my goal even on compound movements is to isolate the target muscle by eliminating momentum and leverage from support muscles. i hope this helps.

That is exactly what I said over at OLM and I got so much shit for it because some of the guys over there believe that you HAVE to bench the dave tate way. :rolleyes:

Your back should naturally arch if you have your shoulders in the lowest position to achieve maximum pectoral involvement; as in shoulder blades clenched together and your shoulders pulled down towards your body. Now, if you mean your back arches because your driving with your feet and turning it into a powerlifting movement, then that's more of a technique to lift more weight rather than focusing on the targeted muscle.

Yes, yes Chrysler. This is how I have always done all of my chest pressing. My butt is firmly on the bench and never comes up. My shoulder blades are clenched together and flat on the bench and never come off. My feet are planted firmly on the floor and I will have a slight arch in my back at the lower area. Mind you, the rest of me is firmly planted on the bench and floor.

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear