over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Can your body digest raw eggs whites?

The Real Mako

Registered
I have access to pasterized eggs whites and i heard that your body had a tough time breaking raw eggs whites down.. is that true?

i was thinking of drinking 2-3 glasses of 6oz egg whites along with 1/2 oatmeal for extra calories...

I don't think that it would be a problem, but might as well bump it up for anyone else to anwser..........

I've heard from all-natural bodybuilder Layne Norton that up to 50% of the protein in an uncooked egg is wasted b/c the body cannot digest it. You can also develop a biotin deficiency if the whites are uncooked (a chemical in the white called avidin soaks up biotin like a sponge).

The best way to eat eggs is to cook them without breaking the yolk - hard boiled, poached, etc. This way you destroy the avidin without oxidizing the cholesterol in the yolk (it's not the cholesterol that is so bad for the body, it's the oxidized cholesterol that results from the cooking while in cantact with the air).

I wish I could give you a legit answer, though I would like to hear input on it. I have hard boiled eggs before bedtime.. 6-7 without yolks..

It would be nice to see science behind what we hear. In my mind, if its nature, it'll work. I can't imagine why the body could not break down a raw egg white. It is the most basic protein, why would nature make it undigestable?

I wish I had some study or something like it to quote. But all I can say is about two years ago I was eating 30 yeah 30 raw egg whites a day in my shakes, and let me say I had the best gains all the way up to the pointe I got semolina:mad: Oh well all good things have to come to an end some time right:D

TRAINHD said:
I wish I had some study or something like it to quote. But all I can say is about two years ago I was eating 30 yeah 30 raw egg whites a day in my shakes, and let me say I had the best gains all the way up to the pointe I got semolina:mad: Oh well all good things have to come to an end some time right:D

:eek:SEMOLINA. I thought the reason we cooked our eggs is to kill the bacteria.

it's just easier

for us to process the eggs if they're cooked. This is biochemistry, and not real exciting, but I'll look it up if I've got some time later. Raw eggs can still be used by the body, just not as efficiently. There have been studies done with this in mind (raw eggs vs. cooked eggs and protein absorption).
Personally, due to the risk of salmonella, and possibly other bacteria, I would steer clear of eating eggs raw.
but I could just be a little wussy.:D

Just search "avidin and biotin" on Google or something. You'll get thousands of hits on the ability of avidin to bind biotin irreversibly. This is an undisputed fact in biochemistry.

As for my digestability of the protein citation, this was just word of mouth, albiet from a VERY reputable source.

Eat them and if you don't throw them up, they got digested.

avidin and biotin

I'm aware of that issue, although it would probably be hard to mess with the enzymes that much to make it an issue, wouldn't it? I'm not a biochemist, and it sounds like you might be, so I'm just listening, not trying to dispute! :D
As for digesting and not throwing up, Magnum, I don't know....I've seen lots of one eyed poop in toilets...the eye being and undigested and un-thrown-up peanut! :eek:

violentmessiah said:
I'm aware of that issue, although it would probably be hard to mess with the enzymes that much to make it an issue, wouldn't it? I'm not a biochemist, and it sounds like you might be, so I'm just listening, not trying to dispute! :D
As for digesting and not throwing up, Magnum, I don't know....I've seen lots of one eyed poop in toilets...the eye being and undigested and un-thrown-up peanut! :eek:

Thanks for the mental pic. I just thu up my eggs, yolks and all. :eek:

I have been eating 10 raw egg wts and 3 whole eggs for breakfast for the last 3 yrs, I buy egglands best eggs because they are higher quality, I have never had a problem with any bacteria or disease in them.

I used to eat raw egg whites that were in those 500ml tetra pacs. They were pasturized and contained no samonella. I would get the Hershey squirts within 2 days of eating them. I don't know if it was just me or if the body just can't degest them properly.

I do know that the enzymes in egg white will dissolve the paint on your car. So I can't imagin what they do in your stomach and intestine.

violentmessiah said:

Thanks for the mental pic. I just thu up my eggs, yolks and all. :eek:

i read about it somewhere as i was wondering about this as well . it was saying , that the raw whites ,straight from the egg ,won't be as beneficial (you wouldn't get as much protein from it) as if you would heat them up .
but if you are getting the liquid whites in the box from the store , they were saying there is no difference and they wouldn't have to be heated up

wake

The Real Mako said:
I have access to pasterized eggs whites and i heard that your body had a tough time breaking raw eggs whites down.. is that true?

i was thinking of drinking 2-3 glasses of 6oz egg whites along with 1/2 oatmeal for extra calories...

EGGs give me terrible gas,,, I dont digest them well.

digestive enzymes

aka probiotics might be useful for some here....

As for the great one eyed monster, hehehe....I tested the mental picture out on my wife first, it seemed to work.....
She thought I was talking about something else at first though! :rolleyes:

Alin said:
EGGs give me terrible gas,,, I dont digest them well.

Me to,

last week in class I let one out and everybody: oh my god what is this awfull smell ::ction-sm

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws