over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Coconut Oil-Miracle Good Fat or.....

Massive G

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Thoughts on this oil I have been researching essential oils a bit and turned up a lot of good info on this oil. I say oil cause it's solid like LARD at cooler room temps.
I have been dispelling myths with myself on fats and carbs and fruits for some time now.
I am not so pseudo scientific about separating them totally from meals Although I still eat pro/fat pro carb for the most part my favorite meal right now is Chicken breast fried in OO. and then putting that over rice, mushrooms, onions, spices etc.

My plan for the coconut oil is to add it to my protein shakes or cook proteins with it use it as a salad dressing etc....and finally give warm hot sensual coconut oil massages to hot fitness chics! (OK I am stretching it a bit there.) :D :rolleyes: ;) :eek:

Here's a few exerpts from the web, some hype but a lotta truth....

"If there was an oil you could use for your daily cooking needs that helped protect you from heart disease, cancer, and other degenerative conditions, improved your digestion, strengthened your immune system, and helped you lose excess weight, would you be interested?

No such oils exists you say? Not so! There is an oil that can do all this and more. No, it's not olive oil, it's not canola oil, or safflower oil or any of the oils commonly used for culinary purposes. It's not flaxseed oil, evening primrose oil, or any of the oils sold as dietary supplements. It's not rare or exotic. It's ordinary coconut oil.

But wait, isn't coconut oil a saturated fat? And isn't saturated fat bad (?) because coconut oil is primarily a saturated oil, it has been blindly labeled as bad. It is lumped right along with beef fat and lard with the assumption that they all carry the same health risks. However, researchers have clearly shown that the oil from coconuts, a plant source, acts differently than the saturated fat from animal sources. The oil from coconuts is unique in nature and provides many health benefits obtainable from no other source.

What Coconut Oil DOES NOT Do: * Does not contain cholesterol. * Does not increase blood cholesterol level. * Does not promote platelet stickiness which leads to blood clot formation. * Does not contribute to atherosclerosis or heart disease. * Does not promote cancer or any other degenerative disease. * Does not contribute to weight problems.

What Coconut Oil DOES Do: * Reduces risk of atherosclerosis and related illnesses. * Reduces risk of cancer and other degenerative conditions. * Helps prevent bacterial, viral, and fungal (including yeast) infections. * Supports immune system function. * Helps prevent osteoporosis. * Helps control diabetes. * Promotes weight loss. * Supports healthy metabolic function. * Provides an immediate source of energy. * Supplies fewer calories than other fats. * Supplies important nutrients necessary for good health. * Improves digestion and nutrient absorption. * Has a mild delicate flavor. * Is highly resistant to spoilage (long shelf life). * Is heat resistant (the healthiest oil for cooking). * Helps keep skin soft and smooth. * Helps prevent premature aging and wrinkling of the skin. * Helps protect against skin cancer and other blemishes.

As unbelievable as it sounds, the oil in coconuts has been found to aid the body in destroying dozens of harmful viruses including hepatitis C, herpes, and HIV. Coconut oil has been called the healthiest dietary oil on earth. If you're not using coconut oil for your daily cooking and body care needs you're missing out on one of nature's most amazing health products. In this book you will discover the many healing miracles of coconut oil. Each health benefit is explained and fully documented by scientific research.

"Dr. Bruce Fife should be commended for bringing together in this very readable book the positive health benefits of coconut oil. The inquiring reader will have a new and more balanced view of the role of fat and especially saturated fats in our diet."--Jon Kabara, Ph.D., Professor Emeritus, Michigan State University"

AND..........

"Coconut Oil: Why it is Good For You
by Lita Lee
12/14/2001

In this article, fats and oils are used interchangeably but in a strict sense, oil usually means liquid at room temperature and fat usually means solid at room temperature. However, coconut oil is solid at temperatures under 76 degrees F. So if you live at temperatures of 76 degrees F or more, coconut oil is liquid; if less than 76 degrees F, coconut oil is a fat.

Saturated fat - one that has a small degree of unsaturation or double bonds and tends to be more solid at room temperatures lower than 76 degrees F. Example: butter, coconut oil.

Monounsaturated oil - Contains some saturated fat but is largely oleic acid, a mono-unsaturated oil, which contains only one double bond. Example: Olive oil.

Polyunsaturated oils - poly means many, so this means that the fat has more than one double bond. Example: linoleic (omega-6) acid has two double bonds; alpha-linolenic (omega-3) acid has three double bonds; arachidonic acid has four double bonds.

The following information comes from the research of Ray Peat, Ph.D. and Mary G. Enig, Ph.D. References are given where applicable.

I recommend only three types of fats to my clients: extra virgin olive oil, organic or, preferably raw butter, and organic coconut oil. Most people understand the first two but cringe at the thought of eating coconut oil. Here's why I recommend coconut oil to everyone.

Coconut oil has been used as cooking oil for thousands of years. Popular cookbooks advertised it at the end of the 19th century. Then came the anti-saturated fat campaign and the promotion of polyunsaturated fats, such as flaxseed, canola, soybean, safflower, corn, and other seed and nut oils plus their partially hydrogenated counterparts (margarine, "I can't believe it's not butter", etc.) as the way to go. Indeed, saturated fats have been supposedly causally linked to high cholesterol and heart disease, multiple sclerosis and other bad health conditions. I don't know how anyone came to this conclusion, since it would be hard to find a person in America who has a high saturated fat diet. Why? Because nearly all commercial foods, including bread, crackers, chips, dips, many candies, zero cholesterol coffee creamers, all mayonnaise and all salad dressings, many pastries and ice creams, most dietetic (for weight loss or diabetes) "foods", many cereals, and nearly all crunchy snacks contain either polyunsaturated or partially hydrogenated fats (which contain some margarine and some of the unsaturated fat mixed together). These foods are often advertised as healthy "all vegetarian," "no-cholesterol" foods. Even the so-called saturated fat in commercial meat is partly unsaturated because most cows are fed corn and soybeans, both of which contain unsaturated oils.

Are there any people who live on saturated fats who are healthy? Yes! People who live in tropical climates and who have a diet high in coconut oil are healthier, have less heart disease, cancer, colon problems and so on, than unsaturated fat eaters. Two such groups of people include those from Melanesia and the Yucatan. These people are slightly hyperthyroid because of the thyroid stimulating effects of coconut oil plus a diet which includes protein (fish) and adequate fruit (stimulates thyroid function).

Can you eat unsaturated fats and get away with it? It all depends. The Eskimos ate cold-water fish, high in unsaturated oils BUT they also ate the whole animal, including the animal head, brain, thyroid glands, etc. and got the hormones from these glandulars. This caused them to become hyperthyroid, 25% higher than Americans, and they were classified as "pathologically hyperthyroid" by standard medical definition.

However, this so-called pathological condition allowed them to burn the unsaturated fats in the foods they ate. If you are not an Eskimo and eat mainly an unsaturated fat diet, you may be in trouble.

Now you know why I wonder how anyone can associate high cholesterol or saturated fats with heart disease, multiple sclerosis or any disease. Over the past 40 years, Americans have increased their consumption of unsaturated fats and partially hydrogenated fats and have decreased their consumption of saturated fatty acids and butter. Lauric acid, the major fatty acid in coconut oil and breast milk, is rarely present in the American diet. Yet saturated fats are still being called the health culprits while grocery stores abound with many kinds of seed and nut oils. Many have been told that if the unsaturated oil is unprocessed, it is safe. This is untrue. The harmful effects of unsaturated oil lie in their unsaturation, or the presence of many double bonds, which are very labile and easily peroxidized (become rancid inside the body). Details of this are given in the report on unsaturated oils.

Here is a summary of the health benefits of coconut oil. In general, coconut oil stimulates thyroid function and has wonderful antiseptic properties.

The Stability of Coconut Oil
Unsaturated oils in cooked foods become rancid in just a few hours, even in the refrigerator, one reason for the "stale" taste of leftovers. However, according to Peat, eating fresh unsaturated fats is even worse, because once inside the body, they will oxidize (turn rancid) very rapidly due to being heated and mixed with oxygen. Not so with coconut oil. Even after one year at room temperature, coconut oil shows no evidence of rancidity even though it contains 9% linoleic (omega - 6) polyunsaturated acid. Peat theorizes that coconut oil may have antioxidant properties, since the oil doesn't turn rancid and since it reduces our need for vitamin E, whereas unsaturated oils deplete vitamin E.

Thyroid-Stimulating, Anti-Aging Effects of Coconut Oil
Many researchers have reported that coconut oil lowers cholesterol (Blackburn et al 1988, Ahrens and colleagues, 1957). In 1981, Prior et al. showed that islanders with a diet high in coconut oil showed no harmful health effects. When these groups migrated to New Zealand and lowered their daily coconut oil intake, their total cholesterol and especially their LDL cholesterol - the so-called evil one - increased. The cholesterol-lowering properties of coconut oil are a direct result of its ability to stimulate thyroid function. In the presence of adequate thyroid hormone, cholesterol (specifically LDL-cholesterol) is converted by enzymatic processes to the vitally necessary anti-aging steroids, pregnenolone, progesterone and DHEA. These substances are required to help prevent heart disease, senility, obesity, cancer and other diseases associated with aging and chronic degenerative diseases.

Weight Loss Stimulating Properties of Coconut Oil - a Direct Result of Thyroid Stimulation
In the 1940's farmers tried coconut oil to fatten their animals but discovered that it made them lean and active and increased their appetite. Whoops! Then they tried an anti-thyroid drug. It made the livestock fat with less food but was found to be a carcinogen (cancer causing drug). In the late 1940's, it was found that the same anti-thyroid effect could be achieved by simply feeding animals soybeans and corn.

Anti-Cancer Effects of Coconut Oil
In 1987 Lim-Sylianco published a 50-year literature review showing the anti-cancer effects of coconut oil. In chemically induced cancers of the colon and breast, coconut oil was by far more protective than unsaturated oils. For example 32% of corn oil eaters got colon cancer whereas only 3% of coconut oil eaters got the cancer. Animals fed unsaturated oils had more tumors. This shows the thyroid-suppressive and hence, immuno-suppressive effect of unsaturated oils. (Cohen et al. 1986).

When Albert Schweitzer operated his clinic in tropical Africa, he said that it was many years before he saw a single case of cancer. He believed that the appearance of cancer was caused by introduction of the European diet to the Africans. Many studies since the 1920's have shown an association between consumption of unsaturated oils and the incidence of cancer.

Antimicrobial (Antiseptic) Effects of Coconut Oil
Coconut oil contains medium chain fatty acids such as lauric (C-12), caprylic (C-10) and myristic (C-14) acids. Of these three, coconut oil contains 40% lauric acid, which has the greater anti-viral activity of these three fatty acids. Lauric acid is so disease fighting that it is present in breast milk. The body converts lauric acid to a fatty acid derivative (monolaurin), which is the substance that protects infants from viral, bacterial or protozoal infections. This was recognized and reported in 1966 (Jon Kabara). Work by Hierholzer and Kabara (1982) showed that monolaurin has virucidal effects on RNA and DNA viruses, which are surrounded by a lipid membrane. In addition to these RNA and DNA viruses, in 1978, Kabara and others reported that certain medium chain fatty acids, such as lauric acid have adverse effects on other pathogenic microorganisms, including bacteria, yeast and fungi. These fatty acids and their derivatives actually disrupt the lipid membranes of the organisms and thus inactivate them (Isaacs and Thormar 1991; Isaacs et al. 1992). This deactivation process also occurs in human and bovine milk when fatty acids are added to them (Isaacs et al. 1991).

Here are two of my coconut oil salad dressing recipes:

Lita's Ranch Salad Dressing
One egg
4 tbsp cider vinegar (try 2 tbsp of apple cider vinegar plus 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar or 4 tbsp of rice vinegar)
1/2-tsp salt
1/2-tsp dry mustard
Spike or other seasoning to taste

Add the above ingredients to your blender. Then very slowly dribble into blender one cup of oil consisting of about 3/4-cup coconut oil (melted and cooled) plus 1/4-cup extra virgin olive oil to the blender and blend till smooth. (The more coconut oil, the thicker the dressing). (If oil added too fast, or oil is too hot, mixture will curdle).

Then add the following ingredients to the mayonnaise you just made to make a thick and creamy Ranch dressing that can be uses as a substitute for mayonnaise:

1-1/4 cup buttermilk
4-6 tbsp or so sour cream, cream cheese or honey yogurt
Onion flakes to taste
Garlic powder to taste
Salt
Juice of one lemon
Spike to taste or other seasoning
Black pepper
Parsley flakes

Blend until smooth. Refrigerate. This dressing will thicken as it cools. You can use it instead of mayonnaise and can dilute it with more buttermilk if you want a thinner Ranch dressing. If this tastes too tart, add a little honey.

Other suggestions for using coconut oil in your diet:

1) When you make pastries, substitute 50% coconut oil for whatever fat is recommended, hopefully butter.

2) When you fry or sauté eggs, fish, veggies or whatever, toss in some coconut oil. Add butter or olive oil you wish, for flavor.

To come: coconut oil ice cream!

These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. Not intended to diagnose, prescribe for, treat or claim to prevent, mitigate or cure any human disease. The third party information referred to herein is neither adopted nor endorsed by this web site but is provided for general informational purposes."

Thoughts? Curious to Phil, Big A's and other experienced guys opinion on this oil.

Phil knows I like my pop corn at night and I plan on adding a little melted coconut oil to it... :rolleyes: ;) for taste!!! ya know...

Isn't CAP Tri Fractionated coconut oil?

Anyway I picked up 500 mls of this stuff for $5 in the natural food section of Kroger last night.

Attachments

• coconut oil.jpg
    coconut oil.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,708
I've been using Coconut oil for a while, mostly for my protein shakes. I've never cooked with it though.

I believe the Parillo CapTri oil is derived from it as well.

I have a question; does putting butter or coconut oil on a carb (potato?) bring down it's glycemic index?

Another question

Does heating or cooking with various oils effect the properties of the oils/fats? I have been led to believe that it does.
KH

Who will like Coconut Oil?

Great post on coconut oil. There is alot of research into its health benefits ,immune boosting properties , excellent skin and all. As compared to most of the other oils, its most stable to thermal decomposition. In the Caribbean the older folks knew their sutff. they will trhow a bit of the oil over all their foods and I guess its synonymous to Italians and olive oil. Coconut Oil doesnt smell as fruity as olive oil. At one point in time alot said stay away from it because it was very high in cholesterol. The problem was , the oil in question was actually adulterated.
I know you guys get coconut oil and its costly , sometimes the coconut cream is what they have in the US . In the Uk boy was MCT's costly.
Virgin Coconut oil is vastly sold in all supermarkets where I am so if anyone needs , DROP ME A LINE. :cool: Can get half gallon or gallon size bottles and very reasonably priced and am willing to establish an ''oil line'' for you guys :D . I have sent to a pal in Canada with no problem.
BULKING_N

Coconut oil is good stuff; I use it for cooking all the time.

Coconut oil is good

What are the benefits of coconut milk?

Also Duck Fat is believeable good and good for you. Its the same basically as olive oil. If anyone wants any links to that, let me know.

I have been using for about 6mo now. Replaced the flax i was using. Cant beet the price. I get 2 quarts of the extra virgin for $12! I usually just cover 2 or 3 pcs wheat toast with a tablespoon and go.

And if you want very good skin apply some coconut oil lightly over your body.
Thats what babies in the early days had rubbed on and then bask in the sun a bit and you're good to go. Now most people forgot about this and use plain old baby oil.
The benefits of coconut oil far surpasses that of baby oil. The only thing is, if you are taking coconut oil, take with food, it can cause slight upset tummy if taken on its own.

In fact, I knew some bodybuilders who used coconut oil base to oil up for comps. As for prices, a half gallon cost me approx $5 US here.

BULKING_N

I saw someone mentioned coconut oil ice cream. It already exist and its COCONUT ICE CREAM. Its made from the flesh its self and not the oil. Very good stuff! If you ever come down here for vacation, you cant leave without having some.

coconut oil

look at the islanders big mother fockers and they are naturally big brick shit houses with big jaws dominating contact sports key ingrediant coconut and taro

nickname

COCONUTS!!

minority race alsoIEsonny shmidt.

I've been using it daily for over 2 years now......awesome stuff. Any negativity surrounding it was based on flawed studies and an attempt by groups of other interests to squash the vast benefits of non-hydrogenated coconut oil and palm oils. I've tried over 7 brands before I have settled on what I believe to be the best tasting and most reasonably priced which is Nutiva. If you buy the wrong brand the taste can really turn you off. As an example I believe Spectrum takes like garbage compared to Nutiva. If you get the right stuff it should be very pleasant tasting and smelling. It's excellent to use in cooking eggs. If you haven't tried it you must. Experiment with it in other foods and you'll be surprised how easy it is to incorporate into your diet.

No doubt it's great for skin as well and can be applied topically. Also an excellent source of MCT's and a great anti-bacterial/antiviral/antifungal. It also doesn't readily oxidize thus it will not go rancid like many other oils. It can last upwards of 2 years without special storage. The benefits are too numerous to mention in my opinion.

Massive G said:
As unbelievable as it sounds, the oil in coconuts has been found to aid the body in destroying dozens of harmful viruses including hepatitis C, herpes, and HIV.

:eek: :confused: :rolleyes:

Who can seriously believe this statement?

Everything written before or after such a dumb comment is now questionable ... sad cause it sounded good. Too good indeed :eek:

Phidias said:

Everything written before or after such a dumb comment is now questionable ... sad cause it sounded good. Too good indeed :eek:
Hey I didn't write it!:D When one reads an article they must make up their own minds and decide for themselves.
I definitely didn't try it to cure AIDS or the common cold but have used it to add good cals to my diet and enhance the taste of my foods..
It's a bitch to add to shakes cause it's solid and you have to heat it up....
BTW for those that remember the infamous CAP TRI it was fractionated coconut oil.

any tips from anyone

Phidias said:

I have been told this is true by a number of alternative doctors. here an article, most of the docs told me 3-6 tablespoons a days will be enuf to kill the hiv virus

http://www.coconut-info.com/aids.htm

I've been using it for over a year, just as a supplement before training, My wife uses it every day in capsules and oil form she's a low carb freak and uses it for energy, her abs stay in year round and the women has a ton of energy and maybe eats 60 grams a of carbs a day!
There's allot of science out there on it's cardio vascular benefits, and it's cheap, it doesn't taste bad at all by itself or in a drink!

Z, what type of capsules does your wife use.
I searched a bit and found a few.
Some interesting products:
**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

vanilla gorilla said:
Coconut oil is good

What are the benefits of coconut milk?

Also Duck Fat is believeable good and good for you. Its the same basically as olive oil. If anyone wants any links to that, let me know.

I would like to view those links.

Also on your question about coconut milk. It is great timing for me to have this discussion because one of my naturopathic drs just got me on coconut "water". The liquid that comes out is clear and is actually a water not milk. Another hot debate i had with friends. People get angry when you tell them their is not milk in a coconut,,,LOL.

Back to the subject. Check out this book...The Ecology Diet by Donna Gates

She disusses the dynamic nutrition in coconut water and has a recipe for kiefer coconut water,,,Hate to use this word cause I know almost everyone will stick their nose in the air and say "yuck". But it is fermented coconut water. And seriously it is good, like a probiotic champagne. All my stomach problems subsided when on this drink in less than 3 weeks. I sleep better, eat better, lost weight, have more energy. If you give it a whirl, I know you will be glad you did. It is absolutely worth your time to look into it!

Peace,
RM

I've been studying this and taking it awhile now. I see you have "refined" conconut oil though. It is best to use unrefined virgin coconut oil.

Difference between Virgin Coconut Oil and Regular Refined Coconut Oil
is that the Refined, is refined, bleached, and deodorized. Ordinary coconut oil usually comes from copra - coconut meat that is dried by either smoke, kiln or placing under the sun. Because the process itself is not sanitized, the oil must be further refined. To get more oil from copra, chemicals are usually used. This process is required to make the oil clear, odor free and tasteless. This procedure also removes the anti-oxidant and other properties of the oil. Some coconut oils are also hydrogenated which increases the serum cholesterol levels and thus is bad for the heart.

While virgin coconut oil, being pure, unadulterated and unhydrogenated retains it's pleasant coconut taste, smell and all the health benefits of coconut oil.

And absolutely it CAN kill HIV, Hepatitis along with Herpes and a list of other ailments. It is now commercially available in a drug called Lauicidin which is currently being tested in clinical trials with great success.

At one point the tropical oils were used universally until the soybean industry stepped up with their propaganda to replace these "deadly fats". And we have since seen a massive increase in obestity and disease. If you look at the Polynesian cultures who stick to the cultural diets which are high in tropical oils and coconut for one they are virtually disease free. It is not until they convert to western diets that they begin to have obesity and disease. Just something to ponder.

Knucklehead-a quick answer...yes. however coconut oil is much slower to oxidize.

Last edited:
i started using it a few months ago, but dont really like how it makes food taste when cooking with it. I going to have to find another way to use it.

dragon I am gonna give the coconut flour a shot...
**broken link removed**

My problem is getting it to dissolve and I could spoon the flour into shakes.

I try not to mix carbs and fats for the most part, so there is not much I can cook with it.

I'll keep you guys updated.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity