over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

egg yolk heating advice

comedycentral

Registered
i have always used free range eggs but have always cooked them through however since reading various posts cooking negatively affects this.

can someone explain exactly what the issue is?

is it any heat to the yolk will damage or is it cooking until the yolk is firm??

for example if you boil your eggs but your yolk is still very runny is this still damaged??

ill be honest i used to always add eggs to protein powder to make pancakes but im not sure what to do now.

Your overthinking this way too much.

i have always used free range eggs but have always cooked them through however since reading various posts cooking negatively affects this.

can someone explain exactly what the issue is?

is it any heat to the yolk will damage or is it cooking until the yolk is firm??

for example if you boil your eggs but your yolk is still very runny is this still damaged??

ill be honest i used to always add eggs to protein powder to make pancakes but im not sure what to do now.

You are not overthinking this. Heating the yolk to high level and exposing it to oxygen oxidizes the cholesterol in the yolk. So in a nutshell the cholesterol that was good for you, just turned bad. That is why u cook on low heat, and cook with an oil that is saturated like coconut oil...oils go rancid easy to if you pick the wrong on. Boiling, soft poaching etc are fine...just dont cook on high, and leave them sit out like at a buffet..personally I scramble mine with coconut oil on low heat.

It is also good to rotate the way u r cooking them as eating them over and over the same way can lead to allergies...

JM

Here is how i cook mine. I heat up my coconut oil on medium low. I crack all my eggs into a bowl and wait for the oil to get warm. Then i dump all the eggs in the pan and slowly cook them until the whites are turning white. You will have to stir the whites a little to get the ones on top cooked as well (Keeping your yolks whole). Then when your whites are done i turn the burner off (Leaving the pan on the burner) and stir everything together. Scoop out and the yolks will be running all over. YUMMY!!!

BTW-Since John brought free range eggs to our attention (Thanks John) i have tried to do as much research as i could on finding the best eggs available. As we all know the local mom and pop that sell eggs out of their house is the best option. But for those that cant find the local hook up dont think that eveything in your grocery store labeled FREE RANGE OR FREE NESTING OR CAGE FREE are what we want. If you read the Omega 3 content on most of them they are all around 100 to a max or 200mg. These eggs are NOT FREE RANGE EGGS. Its a labeling misconception. They tell you they are cage free but what they dont tell you is that instead of keeping them in small cages they are kept in a huge barn and not out in the open where they can peck at bugs and seeds.

But i have found the BEST store bought eggs. They are CHRISTOPHERS EGGS and i found them at Kroger grocery store. They are sold at different grocery stores throughout the country but are a little hard to find. They are only about $2.50 a dozen and have 660mg of omega 3's. Here is a link to the company.

Christopher Eggs

Here is how i cook mine. I heat up my coconut oil on medium low. I crack all my eggs into a bowl and wait for the oil to get warm. Then i dump all the eggs in the pan and slowly cook them until the whites are turning white. You will have to stir the whites a little to get the ones on top cooked as well (Keeping your yolks whole). Then when your whites are done i turn the burner off (Leaving the pan on the burner) and stir everything together. Scoop out and the yolks will be running all over. YUMMY!!!

EXCELLENT way of cooking them!

Thank you!

JM

I get my supplements where all the top bodybuilders do - www.trueprotein.com

Last edited:
thanks guys really appreciate this.

i have started cooking them in a tiny amount of grass fed butter after reading mountain dogs post.

will get myself some coconut oil.

my eggs are from costco in the UK and they state omega 3 free range eggs which i assumed meant free range outdoors however i wonder if they are now?

thanks guys really appreciate this.

i have started cooking them in a tiny amount of grass fed butter after reading mountain dogs post.

will get myself some coconut oil.

my eggs are from costco in the UK and they state omega 3 free range eggs which i assumed meant free range outdoors however i wonder if they are now?

You are welcome. Cooking with grass fed butter is a great option too...nothing wrong with that.

JM

how much coconut oil do you use per egg? i dont want to throw off my macros too much, but i want to get the benefits of coconut oil. also, is the coconut oil in walmart a good brand to use? i think it might be spring valley but i will check today to make sure when i run in.

Just about a tbsp per pan (5 or 6 eggs). I dont count the coconut oil or the gf butter for my macros when i cook with it .

Best advice, don't cook them at all. Nothing wrong with raw eggs. They have been very beneficial to my training results. Probably the best whole food protein there is.

I don't like to cook with raw butter either. It tends to kill the enzymes if your not very careful with temp and duration of exposure. Use the stuff that's already been pasteurized. Just my opinion anyway.

Best advice, don't cook them at all. Nothing wrong with raw eggs. They have been very beneficial to my training results. Probably the best whole food protein there is.

I don't like to cook with raw butter either. It tends to kill the enzymes if your not very careful with temp and duration of exposure. Use the stuff that's already been pasteurized. Just my opinion anyway.

Raw eggs is fine..agreed. But get pasteurized butter instead of raw organic grass fed butter..can't agree on that :)

JM

Yeah, you're right regular pasteurized butter is inferior. I wouldn't want to oxidize the fatty acids in the GF raw butter, though. Warmed up yes, cooked with no. Same goes with olive oil but that's just me.

Last edited:
Yeah, you're right regular pasteurized butter is inferior. I wouldn't want to oxidize the fatty acids in the GF raw butter, though. Warmed up yes, cooked with no. Same goes with olive oil but that's just me.

Butter is a saturated fat though my friend, and VERY stable under heat. Olive oil, you are correct you have to be careful...I like to rotate in Avocado Oil (smoke point 500 freakin degrees), and macadamia nut oil (over 400 degres)too...they are monosaturate heavy..well actually butter has a good deal of monos too which most don't know (oleic Acid)..

Dr Serrano and I turned some butter on high heat years ago and waited for it to oxidize (turn brown)..took a looong time, I can't even remember how long.

JM

Last edited:
You are not overthinking this. Heating the yolk to high level and exposing it to oxygen oxidizes the cholesterol in the yolk. So in a nutshell the cholesterol that was good for you, just turned bad. That is why u cook on low heat, and cook with an oil that is saturated like coconut oil...oils go rancid easy to if you pick the wrong on. Boiling, soft poaching etc are fine...just dont cook on high, and leave them sit out like at a buffet..personally I scramble mine with coconut oil on low heat.

JM

John, I always heat up my pan really hot so it dont stick. Just curious, is there any evidence that heating yolk to high level expose to oxygen oxidizes?
The way you cook your egg, what is the temperature of your egg when you cooked it? Just curious.

It is also good to rotate the way u r cooking them as eating them over and over the same way can lead to allergies...

If I cook my eggs in the same oil, can it lead to allergies? Meaning I would have to cook my egg in different oil? such as coconut oil, flaxseed oil etc??

Butter is a saturated fat though my friend, and VERY stable under heat. Olive oil, you are correct you have to be careful...I like to rotate in Avocado Oil (smoke point 500 freakin degrees), and macadamia nut oil (over 400 degres)too...they are monosaturate heavy..well actually butter has a good deal of monos too which most don't know (Palmitoleic Acid)..

Dr Serrano and I turned some butter on high heat years ago and waited for it to oxidize (turn brown)..took a looong time, I can't even remember how long.

JM

I don't understand how. I make pancakes on the weekends in a preheated ( 3.5 on an electric stove ) iron skillet. Once I used GF raw butter and as soon as it hit the pan it sizzled and popped and put off an odor not unlike burning hair and flesh. I shit you not. It was like butter instant death.

Pasteurized butter turns brown quickly when I do the same with it. There is no "butterdeath" though.

John, I always heat up my pan really hot so it dont stick. Just curious, is there any evidence that heating yolk to high level expose to oxygen oxidizes?
The way you cook your egg, what is the temperature of your egg when you cooked it? Just curious.

If I cook my eggs in the same oil, can it lead to allergies? Meaning I would have to cook my egg in different oil? such as coconut oil, flaxseed oil etc??

Hey Big Chef, Happy New Year. Great questions..

I am not sure what temp of egg is when I cook...?

As far as the yolk goes..man I looked and looked and found every opinion ranging from you should only eat raw to eat them howevr at whatever temperature. We do know that at some point, the yolk does oxidize, and most would agree that is from cooking beyond medium heat, the oxygen part to me applies more to like eggs sitting out exposed to air all day at a buffet...I don't think u have to worry there.

I havent heard to much about oils causing allergies, but definitely alot with protein drinks and protein foods, especially eggs. Serrano is always on my ass to change the way I am cooking my eggs and to change the type of protein drinks so this doesnt happen. I run into people in his office on occasion that have developed some allergies. For protein drinks I get a couple different kinds from trueprotein - whey isolate CSM, pea protein, and whey isolate cold micro.

I rotate the cooking oils just to get benefits of saturates and monos. Hey Def DO NOT cook in flaxseed oil...very unstable poly under heat..any poly is bad to cook with..that is a big part of what is causing heart disease and cancer these days..all the crappy rancid corn oil that gos into food...

Stick with saturates like palm, coconut, and butter and monos like avocado and macadamia nut oil for your cooking!

JM

I don't understand how. I make pancakes on the weekends in a preheated ( 3.5 on an electric stove ) iron skillet. Once I used GF raw butter and as soon as it hit the pan it sizzled and popped and put off an odor not unlike burning hair and flesh. I shit you not. It was like butter instant death.

Pasteurized butter turns brown quickly when I do the same with it. There is no "butterdeath" though.

I am not sure what happened but I can tell you with 100% certainty that butter is primarily a saturatd fat, and that saturated fats hold up best under high heat due to all the carbons being occupied by hydrogens - basic lipid biochemistry.

JM

What about the avidin/biotin deficiency and the lower bioavailability of the protein?

Egg yolks are loaded with biotin, some of the highest found in nature. This will offset the avidin effect. If your hydrochloric acid levels are high and your gall bladder is functioning properly, over 90% of the raw egg will be digested. I take over a dozen a day and have zero gas and am gaining muscle very easily, and I'm natural.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Spinaltap88
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity