advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Getting Better With Age or Just Regressing?

Alex A

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Who here actually thinks they are getting better with age or just going through the motions and their best days are behind them...I.e. ( I remember back when I used to....).

Im not trying to come off as some vein egomaniac but i truly believe i have gotten better in age and my best days are still yet to come. Im in my thirties but 40 is around the corner.

It seems like there are a ton of really good bodybuilders who would be described as older, but they are just mature and experience.
And im not talking about just in the gym and on stage but in LIFE.

Bodybuilding grows on you and makes you a better person all the way around. Better at work, at keeping relationships, builds confidence and self esteem. People under estimate body buildings benefits beyond looking good.

Discipline is key to success in life.. I truly believe that without discipline your accomplishments will be limited. The longer you body build, the more you can accomplish in your life.

Last edited:
I say look at Toney Freeman..he gets better EVERY TIME I see him and he just keeps getting better as he gets older!

Well i dont know about it helping to keep relationships, as the gym in one way or another has cost me at least 2 girlfriends, although it might be more just me :p And theres always that old saying 'bodybuilders age like fine wine'.

But yea i agree in my humble opinion. Eventually the weights will take a toll on your body (ronnie) but theres no substitute for muscle maturity.

Btw i was just watchin an interview of you with Dave P. Not to sound like an ass kisser but youre my favorite BB competing right now. Seem to be a classy guy. keep up the good work bro.

I believe I look better at close to 50 than 40. I gave up in my early 30's thinking I was pretty much done with BB, BIG MISTAKE! You can look great at 50 or beyond, the choice is yours. ;)

Better...physically...financially...morally etc.

Well i dont know about it helping to keep relationships, as the gym in one way or another has cost me at least 2 girlfriends, although it might be more just me :p And theres always that old saying 'bodybuilders age like fine wine'.

But yea i agree in my humble opinion. Eventually the weights will take a toll on your body (ronnie) but theres no substitute for muscle maturity.

Btw i was just watchin an interview of you with Dave P. Not to sound like an ass kisser but youre my favorite BB competing right now. Seem to be a classy guy. keep up the good work bro.

Thanks for saying that, I liked that interview. I appreciate all of you guys contributing to this forums success. it is an awesome place to share info.

Pesty is more motivated than ever at 49, And that is pretty cool. You will be seeing his drive and committment real soon.

As for relationships, it has helped me with confidence. If you are involved with someone who shares the passion with you, that will make the relationship stronger.

I know many on here have spouses that either compete or are very supportive.
My wife and i shared that passion for many years. Im lucky she has good genetics and has stayed in shape despite being a devoted mom to our young daughter and currently pregnant and due soon.

She continues to be supportive to me and she cant wait to get back in the gym.

BBing has changed my life for the better in so many ways..Im turning 30 this year and i'm in the best shape of my life..

It has made me spiritually stronger, emotionally stronger, and of course physically stronger which helps being a massage therapist

it lead me to meeting the love of my life 2 years ago..we met in the gym..He's my training partner..best friend..side kick in everything..

Ive battled my weight my whole life..and many people have been inspired by my transformation...and that is the biggest payment of them all..to be a positive roll model for others...GIVING THEM HOPE FOR THEMSELVES

I amGetting better with age. I have become more discipline, smarter, and patient with age. I have found more balance with bodybuilding and life. I enjoy it more now and have been reaping the benefits. I accept who I am and expect to progress at my pace.

Training is better than ever, eating is better than ever, and I am understanding my recovery time frame better everyday. Most of all I have grown more quality muscle and hope that keeps happening with age...that is if I do not eat the whole jar of peanut butter in the kitchen (Damn I must be hungry:D )

I am not a mass monster, so I figured my goal is to grow bits at at time and appear like I weigh more than I really appear. I read, ask more questions, and trial & error more than ever.

So, yes I have become better with age with regards to bodybuilding (physique is more complete, leaner, more muscle, etc....). But, again I do not live and die by it.

I don't know, Alex.

Who here actually thinks they are getting better with age or just going through the motions and their best days are behind them...I.e. ( I remember back when I used to....).

Im not trying to come off as some vein egomaniac but i truly believe i have gotten better in age and my best days are still yet to come. Im in my thirties but 40 is around the corner.

It seems like there are a ton of really good bodybuilders who would be described as older, but they are just mature and experience.
And im not talking about just in the gym and on stage but in LIFE.

Bodybuilding grows on you and makes you a better person all the way around. Better at work, at keeping relationships, builds confidence and self esteem. People under estimate body buildings benefits beyond looking good.

Discipline is key to success in life.. I truly believe that without discipline your accomplishments will be limited. The longer you body build, the more you can accomplish in your life.

I am not trying to get heavier at this point. I tend to get lean for summer and have eaten much cleaner that I did in the past due to the fact that I want to avoid high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc....

So in that sense I'd say I am better than I was when I was younger. I tend to stay fairly lean and I think if you look at my pictures since I joined the board you'll agree that even at my fattest I never had a gut or anything.

However, when I look at your pictures I realize it's possible to remain in super, super condition if I desire to do so. I may set my goals to achieve just that situation.

If I were to get really lean, as you are, and maintain it for one year...at least a year of continuous super condition would prove to ME that I wasn't full of shit and kidding myself. If I could do that I would say that I was improving in my physical appearance as well as my current goal of health etc.

I may just do that. :)

I am 44.....

Everytime I look in the mirror, I think how truly blessed I have been to maintain the physique a lot of guys half my age don't possess. I think I look better now and I don't train as much..... how sick is that. I also attribute a lot to my late use of AS, I was 37 years old although I had been training since I was 20 years old.

I am not trying to get heavier at this point. I tend to get lean for summer and have eaten much cleaner that I did in the past due to the fact that I want to avoid high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc....

So in that sense I'd say I am better than I was when I was younger. I tend to stay fairly lean and I think if you look at my pictures since I joined the board you'll agree that even at my fattest I never had a gut or anything.

However, when I look at your pictures I realize it's possible to remain in super, super condition if I desire to do so. I may set my goals to achieve just that situation.

If I were to get really lean, as you are, and maintain it for one year...at least a year of continuous super condition would prove to ME that I wasn't full of shit and kidding myself. If I could do that I would say that I was improving in my physical appearance as well as my current goal of health etc.

I may just do that. :)

We all support you here on your efforts bro. I would love to see you accomplish this.

It would be priceless, no doubt and you would be so proud. There is no better feeling knowing that you not only look and feel amazing but are healthy as can be.

People would respect that, and especially when your a little older than most. You will always have plenty of muscle to go with it.

Its a great feeling when you go to your doctor in the off season for blood work and find out that everything is right were it should be. Makes you feel that your not only are you bbing to look good and feel good but your healthy too.

If people do everything in moderation. i.e dont abuse the stuff, you will be healthy and live a long happy life. My advise.. do it, get freaky lean. everyone would be proud.

A.J: You are obviously strong mentally and physically. You have your act together as much as anyone. Your attitude says it all. Getting to know you, bbing has turned you into a disciplined, structured, devoted and spiritual person. I know your competing in figure, but you body build and do a good job at it. As you grow older, you are an example of one who will get better and better and it will make your life that way too.

Alfresco: good post and thanks for sharing your thoughts. To me, bodybuilding is something to harmonize my life, to make me complete. My goals in the sport are never ending. Thus i will always pursue them. My plans are to continue for a lifetime.

That is why i dont believe in using anything in extreme for some type of quick result. Bodybuilding is a true discipline. Im an intense person but i take everything in stride because, like i said, there is always another day, the next show, etc. Im not in it for the short run. I want to be around a long time.

Last edited:
I think I am getting better with age…

But not in the sense that I am getting bigger or stronger. I think I am getting better in that I am continuing to learn more about myself and what makes me "tick". My brain/muscle ratio is more in balance. I now use bodybuilding to enjoy my life, not use my life for bodybuilding.

If someone had told me 20 years ago that I would still be hitting the gym at age 55, I would have been surprised. Maybe questioning why I would do that because 55 is "old". Yet here I am, hitting the gym regularly with no intentions of quitting. I am doing it for me. I enjoy it. Its a big part of what I am as a person. I enjoy feeling and looking good. An active 55 is "young". I have learned that. As as I get older, the difference in my appearance with many of my peers becomes even more obvious. And I don't mean this in an egotistical way at all. My competition is with me, not them.

My goals have evolved with time however. I used to be focused only on getting bigger and stronger. I took anything and everything that would help me do that. Now, my goals are more "health" oriented. I have learned by experience that being big and strong is not the same as being healthy. I have learned my body is not invincible. It can fail when abused. I have to take care of it because this is the only body I have. I want to enjoy living an active life in this body as long as possible. Bodybuilding is one vehicle I use to enjoy my life. Not the end all.

Better...physically...financially...morally etc.
ha ha ditto! my joints and knees are not what they use to be but overall Im much much better at 37 than i was at 27 so i can't imagine 47 :eek:

WELL,

I turned 31 today and I look and feel better than I did at 21! I'm also a lot smarter and financially stable which takes stress off because I can relax in life now and concentrate on what I like to do and what makes me happy.

I think IronMan and Brick pretty well summed it up. Better, yes in most ways. Bigger? Nah Stronger? Nope. Better balance between training,relationships, finances, spirituality, relationship and wonder with the world, happiness. Yep. I'll take the trade.

It is a large concern of mine that many (not most) of my fellow trainers placed much to much emphasis on this facet of their lives at the detriment of others. I have done so as well although I also used building businesses as an excuse. Results? I have a reasonable body, good finances, good retirement, and NO CHILDREN, therefore NO GRANDCHILDREN. I didnt lose, but I also didn't win.

Every single late stage dad I have seen, and two of my very best friends have had children in their fifties, have been transformed for the better. Crap, take a look at Phils pictures of that little Angel. You can almost feel his love coming through the keyboards. Which do you think Phil would pick 1)Another title 2) Extra time with that little Angel.

Yes I'm better older. Its just confusing some times.:D

I'm still a pup, 26. I, like many here, adopted the bodybuilding lifestyle at a young age and did not live a balanced lifestyle....at all. I used enormous amounts of gear, spent all of my money on it, thank goodness I actually knew how to eat right. I burned out.....big time. Suprised? I'm not. I was able to maintain that lifestyle for about 4 years. In that time, I flunked out of college twice. Why? I had to work a lot of hours. Why? because I had to buy gear. Why? That's a good question, I suppose because I felt that having a good body was more important than having a good education/career. Also, I enjoyed time off the juice like I was supposed to, but because of the age at which I started I somehow attributed my self-image/self-worth to my physical condition. Big mistake. When I did finally burn out, I had nothing and in the following 3 years I learned more about myself than I thought possible. Also, in that time, I got fat, weak....but I still had a good self-image because I'd found a lot of other things that I'm good at. Now....I do love the sport of bodybuilding. I don't have the genetics to be a big shot competitor, but I do enjoy the process of building and dieting very much. I enjoy making adjustments and seeing what the results are. I enjoy being strong, and I enjoy being healthy. After returning to the gym I've gained all of my strength back. All of it, I'm stronger now than I've ever been, I'm 26 and I've been back for 8 weeks. I'm on super-drol.......fucking super-drol....that's it. I've done 1.5g test, 600deca, 60mgdbol, slin, hgh etc.......I've done that. I'm stronger now w/ 20mg of sdrol per day than i have ever been. Is this an add for massdrol? Absolutely not, though I am very impressed. This is an add for knowing your body. Over that four years that I thought I'd wasted I learned how to train and recover for ME. It's different for everyone. I learned what exercises work for me, what foods I respond to etc. You know it took me 3 years for me to find out that I can't maximize my strength w/o a lot of complex carbs......or that potatoes and spaghetti really fill me out, but bread doesn't do jack shit(for me). SO w/ age.....comes a knowledge, I read all the books too, which was very helpful once upon a time, but nothing compares to experiance.

I turned 31 today and I look and feel better than I did at 21! I'm also a lot smarter and financially stable which takes stress off because I can relax in life now and concentrate on what I like to do and what makes me happy.

i'll be 31 this year, and i totally agree with all points made here......its almost kinda exciting......to look toward the future and think about the growth i made so far compared to the personal growth thats coming........the more time goes by the more i have my shit together in all points of life AND ALL THAT DOES IS TRANSLATE INTO ME BEING A BETTER BODYBUILDER.......I'VE ONLY BEEN SERIOUS ABOUT THIS ABOUT 3 YEARS NOW AND HAVE MADE MAJOR CHANGES IN THAT SHORT TIME. im really excited about what the future has to offer me when it comes to being competitive.

sorry bout the caps

Same here. At 31 I feel better now than I ever have.

"It's greater later" :) Dr Dre said that and he is correct :)

At our age we can only be the best that we can be. but its far better then being a coach potato.i see people year after year and most are getting fatter Evey year it feels good to be headed in the other direction.

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
rh8767
NapsGear