over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Hack Squat TIP

luki7788

Registered
Newbies
anyone tried a modification like David Henry does in the video? when doing hack-squats, especially when the load is heavy, there is a tendency for the heels to lift off the platform and then the knees get hard on the ass. Raising your toes higher than your heels should avoid this - has anyone tried?

I've heard Scott Stevenson mention this on a podcast, probably on one of the episodes of Muscle Minds. Maybe he still posts here and can talk about it. Seem to recall him saying that machine destroyed their knees prior to that modification.

I got to try an Atlantis hack squat machine in colorsdo this weekend.

It’s a magical unicorn.

I’m going to buy one and put it in my basement. Except they are probably like $4,000

anyone tried a modification like David Henry does in the video? when doing hack-squats, especially when the load is heavy, there is a tendency for the heels to lift off the platform and then the knees get hard on the ass. Raising your toes higher than your heels should avoid this - has anyone tried?

Nice! I've had to do them reverse bc they destroy my knees. I dropped them out of my rotation years ago. The knee pain is real and it only takes a few weeks. This I have to try. Having that angled mod puts the feet further in front of you. And the heels are lower so it's more kinesiologically sound.

I need to find a wedge like that. I do love hack squats but the design of most machines is piss poor.

Thanks bro!

There are a couple nice machines out there that have an adjustable platform where you can change the entire angle you're working on.
I forget the 2 ive used off the top of my head...but they were great. On some of the old school hack squat machines, i get that "sheering" knee sensation when driving out of the bottom...painful and has basically FORCED me to reverse band it on certain hacks.

Love seeing some old school Dr Scott clips too lol

Thanks for sharing; makes total sense. I switched to the belt because of knee issues. Looking forward to trying this.

There are a couple nice machines out there that have an adjustable platform where you can change the entire angle you're working on.
I forget the 2 ive used off the top of my head...but they were great. On some of the old school hack squat machines, i get that "sheering" knee sensation when driving out of the bottom...painful and has basically FORCED me to reverse band it on certain hacks.

Love seeing some old school Dr Scott clips too lol
ARSENAL has an adjustable platform hacksquat

Iv been doing them like this for years. Just because I felt it had taken a lot of stress off of me knees. Seems to work for me. I’m still doing them pretty heavy and my knees are ok

Hacks are about the worst thing biomechanically for your knees. I know people swear by them (or at them) so if anybody can come up with a way of making them safer (doubtful) I am all in.

For now, if they hurt your knees please don’t do them. You will most certainly pay for it down the road.

ARSENAL has an adjustable platform hacksquat
yes, but a movable praltform is not the same as putting something under the toes of the foot (e.g. wedges) so that they are higher than the heel - then, naturally, if you want to get up from the bottom of the squat, you press your heel firmly into the platform

Hacks are about the worst thing biomechanically for your knees.
I mean, this is completely dependent on the machine in question.

The issue isn't "hack squat machines", it's that they were traditionally designed with a garbage angle at the foot plate.

The modification in the video is just effectively adjusting the angle, and there *are* hack squat machines out there with either a similar default angle, OR an adjustable plate.

the only squat variation i can use is the reverse hammer strength v squat machine. hack squats are so bad for my knees they feel terrible.

Looks good. Definitely looking for ways to reduce stress on my knees as I start to ease back into doing legs after my quad year surgery

where to find a wedge to take to the gym is the question. Need to find one I could purchase, don’t have the time to try and make one myself….

Thank you sir! Gonna add this to my project list and modify the one I have at home! Gotta finish my DIY Sorinex Bulldog pad first though.

Cage

Good to know thank you.

Will post of up a video of Platz doing hacks which avoided the obvious shear forces of ‘convential’ hacks on the knees but introduces other questionable movements.
His knees must be or were made of titanium. Don’t know how they are today.

Wish I knew, may have to call or email him. If anybody has put their legs through hell it is Tom.

But hey . . . what ever works for you. Causing no pain is a mantra of mine if you have not noticed 😉

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinFinch
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131