over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Squat fail

Once something is on the internet it is always there.

No safety bars and bumpers plates. He probably knew how to properly dump a bar. You push your hips forward. I'm guessing he expected his spotter(s?) to lift it up and spot him properly. If he had dumped the bar he would have dumped it on the spotters knees. You don't dump the bar when you have someone behind you... He would have been better off without any spotters.
True, the spotter was in his way and I realize that there should been a spotter at each end of bar. Definitely tough to dump it if spotter is behind the lifter. Bad situation all around.

I remember seeing a video of a bench fail and the bar landed right on the lifter's neck...just as bad. In a case like that I'd try to slow the weight bar travel then dump the bar so that's why sometimes I don't use collars to make it easier to slide off the plates.

In powerlifting, at least the IPF, they now for many years have those safety rails on the bench too. Because it doesn't matter if you have 5 spotters, like they have in some orgs in the bench, if the lifter dumps the bar the spotters can never react fast enough, it's basically impossible. There's a video on YT of powerlifter Scott Mendelson dumping over 1000lbs on his chest, very lucky to have lived. That guy has some balls (he also claimed to have taken 20 Anadrol a day before lol and I wouldn't necessarily doubt it).

Other orgs have started to use those loops out of fabric in the squat even with 5 spotters and I think it's a very good idea though some think it takes away from the "purity" of the sport.
One year the IPF at Worlds used some apparently 15 year old newbie spotters for world record attempts and it was a disaster, lucky no one died, wth were they thinking lol. There's a video of it on YT if interested.

I had saved this video of a very hairy situation. It's somewhat funny despite the seriousness. Don't leave on collars if benching by yourself. Unfortunately it's luimarco's channel and private but for those who follow him:

Here is Scot Mendelson's bench fail. Dude walked away from this:

Here's the dangerous competition spotting:

The other thing I should have mentioned is teaching people how to spot correctly. I hear guys all the time ask someone, "Can you spot me?", "Sure." Nothing else asked. I always say, "How many reps are you shooting for? If the bar stops moving do you want me to make you work for the rest or pull it right up? Do you want to do any forced reps?"

I know two guys who are/were big and strong who made the terrible mistake of asking someone they didn't know to spot them on the squat. In each case the inexperienced spotter pushed them forward each lifter blew out their knee.

Question: Many years ago when I frequented a commercial gym their racks didn’t have safety bars, straps, or the extension arms. This was a local gym here called the French Riviera which is now closed.

So do gyms today have these in their racks? My personal rack; I use slings inside for squats. For pressing I use the heavy duty 24” extension arms on the outside of the rack. I use the Spot Grip apparatus for heavy dumbbells exercises.

Cage

I don't want to sound insensitive or crass but in my opinion ego played a large role in this young man's demise.

Could have gotten a better spotter.
Could have used safety bars.
etc.
etc.
Bottom line is that he said to himself "I'm going for it", as is.
Just his head position in the beginning.... you just could tell he wasn't used to this kind of weight - but - he made his decision.
That being said, my heart goes out to him and friends/family. Hate seeing dudes getting hurt in the gym.

The other thing I should have mentioned is teaching people how to spot correctly. I hear guys all the time ask someone, "Can you spot me?", "Sure." Nothing else asked. I always say, "How many reps are you shooting for? If the bar stops moving do you want me to make you work for the rest or pull it right up? Do you want to do any forced reps?"

I know two guys who are/were big and strong who made the terrible mistake of asking someone they didn't know to spot them on the squat. In each case the inexperienced spotter pushed them forward each lifter blew out their knee.
I saw a discussion somewhere where experienced guys said they never would spot someone in the gym they didn't know, the answer was an insensitive, "hell no!" Lol. Either the spotter gets injured or the lifter. That's maybe a little much but I get it, I wouldn't be comfortable spotting someone with big weights even if I could pull 600lbs off them by myself. You're right, always ask how someone wants to be spotted. Some get angry if you make them work for it or don't help when they stall or they get pissed if you touch the bar before they have actually failed. "It was all you anyway!" Spotting is serious business Lol.

Once something is on the internet it is always there.

No safety bars and bumpers plates. He probably knew how to properly dump a bar. You push your hips forward. I'm guessing he expected his spotter(s?) to lift it up and spot him properly. If he had dumped the bar he would have dumped it on the spotters knees. You don't dump the bar when you have someone behind you... He would have been better off without any spotters.
100%
I went through a phase where I was obsessed with trying to squat 405 for 20 reps, ATG. I got stuck at the bottom MANY times, never had a spotter. I just dumped the weight backwards. Kinda bruised my back once, but no major injuries

100%
I went through a phase where I was obsessed with trying to squat 405 for 20 reps, ATG. I got stuck at the bottom MANY times, never had a spotter. I just dumped the weight backwards. Kinda bruised my back once, but no major injuries
Safety bars or slings would have helped in your case as well which would have made it easier to dump the bar when you got stuck.

405 for 20...that's wild.

Years ago I trained a young bodybuilder. He was born to squat, perfect biomechanics.

One training session, 2 plates a side (he weighed all of 170 soaking wet) he stepped back from the squat rack, stumbled, and hit the deck with the bar on his shoulders. It happens. But what rarely happens is that he got up on his own with the bar still on his his shoulders, then proceed to do his set of 20 reps.

Years ago I trained a young bodybuilder. He was born to squat, perfect biomechanics.

One training session, 2 plates a side (he weighed all of 170 soaking wet) he stepped back from the squat rack, stumbled, and hit the deck with the bar on his shoulders. It happens. But what rarely happens is that he got up on his own with the bar still on his his shoulders, then proceed to do his set of 20 reps.
Now that was one masterful recovery from a fail with that skillful maneuver. That young man indeed was built for squatting!

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
whodis?
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131