over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Heavy or light first

Today's back workout

Deadlift, all sets with the same weight, 10-8-7 reps. Before the first set I will have done 5 or 6 warm-up sets increasing the weight. I don't know if anyone on the planet takes these light series into account, but I don't understand why they would.

Barbell Rowing, 3 sets of 9 reps, in this case I reduce a couple of pounds in each set to keep the reps range where I want it to be.

Then I've done trapeze and biceps.

So, I don't know what qbkilla means about training heavy first heavy or light. 🤪
The Chris Edmonds video would be an example of isolation then compound if you don't like the term "heavy/light". I would just say your workout is a "heavy" aka lower reps back workout.

as i get older, starting with higher reps is defintely safer before i hit the heavy loweer reps exercise.
I like Eric Broser's FTX2 where u start with higher reps (20-30r) before moving to Mid to low reps exercise.

I go heavy on everything relative to the rep range.

However now days I often do isolation work before compounds for the sake of fatigue to stimulus ratio and injury prevention.

For example I’ll do hamstring curl>Glute bridge>then straight legged deadlift.

If I do a gnarly 5x5 deadlift first I’m so smoked for the rest of the workout and more likely to injure myself .

as i get older, starting with higher reps is defintely safer before i hit the heavy loweer reps exercise.
I like Eric Broser's FTX2 where u start with higher reps (20-30r) before moving to Mid to low reps exercise.
Hadn't heard of him, was he more popular years ago? I like the look of his programs I find outside the box training ideas interesting...talk about gear diet bores me but training for some reason...is fascinating lol

Seems like his ftx2 is essentially light work than heavy

Reactions: D2
Wondering what people prefer if your someone that does heavy, lower reps, try and increase weight... combined with higher rep pump work in the same session.

Seems like heavy followed by light is the most common approach and what I always did. But after reading up on alot of John Meadows techniques and how he sequences exercises I switched up and get a better pump by doing higher reps then a heavy finisher.

What approach do you prefer?
Well imo if pump is goal I use a manageable weight and go to failure but if I have to pick tween the two applications I’d do warm up, light but lower reps then heavy to failure.

Hadn't heard of him, was he more popular years ago? I like the look of his programs I find outside the box training ideas interesting...talk about gear diet bores me but training for some reason...is fascinating lol

He's been around a long time.His username was GoPro on the forums back in the days.He actually coached me back in early 2000s.He had a program called power rep range shock Good guy too.

Reactions: D2
I do a pre-warmup followed by a warmup to get you ready for the pre-workout. Light sets are easy because you just walk them off, on your hands, backwards, with ankle weights.

He used to appear on Cutler TV weekly before having his own channel now.

Yes, his most popular program was the P/RR/S program which appear way way before another similar prog called y3t by Neil hill.

I do a pre-warmup followed by a warmup to get you ready for the pre-workout. Light sets are easy because you just walk them off, on your hands, backwards, with ankle weights.
Listen and listen well rodent..

Appreciate the real response this time..always value your input. I was more using John's type training as an example.. maybe not light followed by heavy or high reps followed by low...more so saving the heavy compound movement for latert after the isolation/metabolic/activation/blood pumping... whatever terminology people use.

Fortitude/phat.. basically has heavy compound days then "hypertrophy work" on separate days

Then many powerbuilding, you typically do the compound/heavy/progressive overload exercise first then a "finisher"

Then an approach more similar to meadows where we don't do the main compound first. Like In this video Chris does the cables, then the heavy press, then he does a pump type exercise after.

Not the best form.

Until i won't reach 300lbs (so never in my life) i will train low volume high intensity, with a TOP SET (call it working set whatever) and BACK OFF (-20% weight from the TOP SET):

• Chest, Shoulders, Back, Hamstrings & Glutes; 6-10 Reps
• Biceps, Triceps, Adductors; 8-12 Reps
• Quads, Calves & Abs; 10-15 Reps

Reps also depend on the exercise i do, 6-10 reps of lateral raises, in my opinion won't do much, more 10-15 reps, and you can apply that to other exercises.

I don't understand why all people want to add rest pause, dropsets, etc, to their workouts, when most of them don't even move a decent amount of weight for every exercise....
I think that once you are strong enough, you can raise your volume, drop intensity a bit and continue growing, but this won't happen when you are 200lbs on a good day.
Why lock into strict rep ranges? Progress and get strong across all rep ranges as JP and Dante say. Though for the higher ranges I find it requires you to dig and grind more for those key effective reps at the end vs a 6-10. The heavier 6-10 helps the strength gains both muscularity and neurally.

Also I don't see how weight in the bar for an exercise matters for drop sets, rest pause etc. Intensity and experience would be more important factors imo.

All this light, heavy, top, back off, pump, etc... I think it's over complication for most. Train fucking hard. The guy who trains hard as fuck balls out with any of the methods in this thread will be more successful than the one who does things "optimally".

Why lock into strict rep ranges? Progress and get strong across all rep ranges as JP and Dante say. Though for the higher ranges I find it requires you to dig and grind more for those key effective reps at the end vs a 6-10. The heavier 6-10 helps the strength gains both muscularity and neurally.

Also I don't see how weight in the bar for an exercise matters for drop sets, rest pause etc. Intensity and experience would be more important factors imo.

All this light, heavy, top, back off, pump, etc... I think it's over complication for most. Train fucking hard. The guy who trains hard as fuck balls out with any of the methods in this thread will be more successful than the one who does things "optimally".
So do you think that for example say Chest, it's better to do an exercise in the 6-10 rep range then another one 8-12 then another one 15-20? (I am just throwing numbers)

I completely agree that pushing all those fancy techniques is just over complication.

So do you think that for example say Chest, it's better to do an exercise in the 6-10 rep range then another one 8-12 then another one 15-20? (I am just throwing numbers)

It depends on how many exercises and how many sets you're doing, but I don't think it's a good idea to have more than 6 sets with 6-10 rep ranges.

So, if your training is low volume, you can do it, but if you have high volume, I'd like to have varied and higher reps ranges.

I completely agree that pushing all those fancy techniques is just over complication.
I don’t think it matters.

I think this is the best way, yes.

I let the exercise pick the rep range.

Play a game…match the rep range with the exercise

Hammer chest press…16-20 reps
Db incline press….6-10
Cable fly….top set of 3-5 reps, 10% backoff for 3 sets of 2.

i kid i kid. Different rep ranges fit better for different exercises

In the long run I think the difference is minuscule at best. I personally like the 6-10 first and then 8-12 and 20+ following. I want to be strongest with the heaviest weight I'm gonna use. Each subsequent set after the first will be less than full potential bc of fatigue.

That said sometimes I underestimate my weight and do it opposite. Happened yesterday w hacks...
515x12
545x9
335x23

Next time I'll probably go 565-575 first and the. Try to take 525-535 followed by 345.

I doubt it will make any measurable difference but coming from a long time powerlifting I like to be strongest first and it is also a mental thing going into the heaviest set freshest mentally and neurologically.

What was the point of this wrong comment?
My comment was not wrong the execution (cable press down) was not the best form, is just my observation.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
whodis?
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws