Staff member
Administrator
IFBB PROS
JUDGES
Registered
Newbies
Bishop

Help: Insulin and dieting (for ketosis)
I started using insulin this week to try and get into ketosis.
The first day I did 3iu first thing in am (8:00), 3iu 3 hours later, 2iu 3hours after that, and 2iu after training (5:30pm).
Yesterday I did 5iu in am, 3iu, 2iu, 3iu after training (5:30pm) and took half a glucophage before bed (10:00pm).
I've been using ketostix in the morning and at night and still haven't hit deep ketosis like I thought I would (trace at best, but probablly wishful thinking). my carbs are basically zero since sunday evening; the only carbs I have taken in would be from some brocolli, salad, and peanuts/peanut butter (still only about 40 - 50 grams, protien 280, fat 85). My cheat days (saturday and sunday) were pretty out of controll but I did an hour cardio sunday night and 30 min moday figuring that would help deplete glycogen stores some. Dieting is frustrating enough but this is really starting to get to me, what am I doing wrong here?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

05-15-2002 09:49 PM

Big A
IFBB PRO / Moderator

You are doing nothing wrong. If you are burning all the ketones (which is ideal) then they won't show on the sticks.

05-15-2002 10:35 PM

Bishop

i haven't really been getting the shakes or feeling worn down/ lathargic either (i'm not complaining, i just always hear people complain about this when in ketosis or have low blood sugar). Could this be because i'm used to eating very low carbs for about the past 3 months or do I need to up the slin a bit (i'm 6ft 226lbs @ 12 - 13%bf)?

05-15-2002 11:05 PM

peewee

I had the same problem
It took me a few days to get into Ketosis. Just stick with it. You will get there!! And try pissing on the ketostrips in the morning right after you wake up. Your piss will have the most accumulated Ketones at that point and you can tell how much you are producing. I found it a bit of a waste to carb up after only 5 days of Ketosis, so I ran it 8 days and then two days of carbing up. Then another 8 days after reaching ketosis again.

05-15-2002 11:27 PM

Big A
IFBB PRO / Moderator

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Bishop
i haven't really been getting the shakes or feeling worn down/ lathargic either (i'm not complaining, i just always hear people complain about this when in ketosis or have low blood sugar). Could this be because i'm used to eating very low carbs for about the past 3 months or do I need to up the slin a bit (i'm 6ft 226lbs @ 12 - 13%bf)?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Due to the insulin you will reach ketosis VERY quickly, so there won't be time for the lethargy associated with the people that don't use insulin and slug it out for days.

05-16-2002 10:39 AM

Mr. Magoo

big a is right, i remember maurio dispaquale saying that ketosis sticks are not a great way to test ur level of ketosis, bc what they show is the amount of ketones not used by the body for fuel, and if u r efficienlty in ketosis u should not show a great deal of ketones on the test strip. Make one thing sure though, and dont think just bc not much shows up that u r in ketosis, ketones might not be being released well from ur body if ur diet isnt par.

sounds confusing but it ist if u think about it

05-16-2002 11:46 PM

Bishop

so what is the best way to tell if you are actually in ketosis? a glucometer? I was going to by one but it was either the glucometer or juice for my next cycle . . . juice won.

05-17-2002 01:37 AM

peewee

I have Keto strips that have a glucose reagent also!! So it shows if you have ketones and if you are in glugogenisis.

05-17-2002 07:50 PM

BadGirl

hi
a glucometer won't tell you if you are in ketosis. ketostix will and your dragon-breath!

I'm never tired while ketonic, actually feel more energy. My only advice is once you are ketonic you don't need to keep taking insulin that will just make me hungry as hell. and once i'm ketonic I stay there I don't take a day off or meal off because it can take days to get back to dark purple.

if i need more energy I eat more protein (58% of protein turns to sugar). If I find myself loosing ketosis I eat more fat (only 10% of fat turns to sugar)

also fatburners and nutrasweet make me loose ketosis sometimes. clen doubles my ketosis in a few hours. everyone's different you just have to keep checking yourself. you can cut ketostix in half to save money too.

05-19-2002 08:18 PM

BadGirl

also
I see ketostix as pregancy stix "either you are or you aren't"

I don't think the degree of ketosis makes much difference. Ketostix are very sensitive though, if I'm suddenly not ketonic I take a good look at what I just ate, there's hidden carbs everywhere....even vitamins, protein bars, can take me out very quickly....sometimes just eating too much protein

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
calebjmb
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131