advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How do you get a start in the fitness industry?

saint808

Registered
How many of you work in the industry somehow. I don't like my current job as it is affecting my training. I'd like to get involved any advice welcome.

Be a trainer possibly. All i know is that the weights are where my true passion lies. I'd like to not have to be a salesman up front though.

Well, do you want to work with a specific type of person? or do you just want to be a "trainer"? When you answer this then you can take the next step...

saint808 said:
I'd like to not have to be a salesman up front though.
You "sell" in everything you do (in one manner or another). There is potential for MUCH more money doing commissioned sales or being a freelance trainer (your own business).

Here's some example fo sales related to personal training:

Sell -
1) "your" services as a trainer
2) the results you'll get by being at their side
3) based on their personality, you can interject a goal that'll hit 'em at home - "going to have fun" "give you a program that'll make sense and have order" "be able to work with you to achieve your goals" etc.

Even if you're just working at a machine in a factory, you need to sell your boss that you're the best man for that job. So - the up and coming won't replace you or so you'll get considered for a "better" job.

xcel

yeah i'd just like to put more epmhasis on training than on sales though. One of the lead trainers at our set of gym's here doesn't have nearly the experience he is just good at sales.

I always wondered what kind of money personal trainers made. I know this depends on location and a lot of other things but on average I don't see these guys as making that much money. I know how the ones around here make their 'real' money though lol ...I think that the so called trainers that work at my gym make about $8 an hour and get a small percentage off of selling a membership. If you were to start up your own thing you would need to know a lot of people and have good connections and be good with people and marketing yourself.

Hey I made this move last year after I got laid off and my jobfield
was dried up despite 10yrs experience and 20yrs total.

Working in gym sales is LONG hours-55-60hr wk.

Get certified if you want to be a trainer.
Personal training is dependant on your clientele, and you must sell the training. I have not been able to get enough people to make descent money yet, in 8mo. I do OK. $30hr when you are training someone who you sold to. $8 when its a 'club client'. who you then try to sell to.
The real way to make it is, as was said, running your own business. Im building a gym at my home that will be done within a month. Hopefully I'll be up and running soon.

The reason I asked if you want to work with a specific person, is because I started out of school with a degree in Exercise Science, and Kinesiology. I started in the gyms to get my feet wet, then studied more to become a strength coach so I can work primarily with athletes, and after years of making connections and working to promote my business, I now work with a wide range of clientele from the highschool athlete, to the pro, to the olympic hopeful. All in all, look to become the best in your field not just a fly by night trainer. People know they get what they pay for, so give them something to pay for.

xcelbeyond said:

Sell -
1) "your" services as a trainer
2) the results you'll get by being at their side
3) based on their personality, you can interject a goal that'll hit 'em at home - "going to have fun" "give you a program that'll make sense and have order" "be able to work with you to achieve your goals" etc.
xcel

Another angle on selling - refer to #3 on Xcels list.
Try to find the CLIENTS goal by asking questions.
What are they looking for goalwise; what timeframe; what event;

For instance-if you dig deep enough, you may find that the client is getting married or has a beach vacation coming up. So you really harp on that-
"you want to look good for (wedding/beach...), dont you?"

And if you let them get away without buying on the spot-98% of the time they will not return no matter if they swear they will or not. You must press the procrastination factor.
Sometimes you just dont click with someone, or they really have zero interest. I just let them go bye-bye!

Johnnyel-sounds like you have made a good life and found your niche in PT. But as far as clubs go, not many potential clients are
interested in sports-specific training. The vast majority want to
'lose weight and tone up'. So I sell them on diet/cardio (weight loss); and weight training (toning/weight loss thru raising metabolism by carrying more muscle mass). We provide specific goal oriented diets based on the results of our BMR (metabolic rate).
test.

Last edited:
I totally agree with you Mike, I was just saying if he wants to get into the field of training, it might help him if he knows what type of people he wants to work with. At that poitn he may be able to train at a private studio and bypass a lot of the B.S in commercial fitness. You had some good points for him though!

i just realized the other night that this is my true passion... and i guess cosidering where i live that i may have to personal train at a club to get a start. Or I may have to move.

You might want to do that (get a job at a club training) just to get your feet wet to see if you'll really enjoy it. After almost 10 years of having my own clubs, now that I'm out of the business I really "enjoy" working out. I'm more serious now than ever and am making more gains than ever. The problem with working in the gym is that it's extremely hard to get motivated to do your own workout when you've been there 10 hours already. As much as I enjoy lifting and the lifestyle, I think I'm going to do something in another field as not to burnout again. Just something to think about b/c I'd hate to see you get into the field and lose your love for the game. Anyway, good luck. BTW, Excel's correct, every job in the gym involves sales, except maybe the toilet cleaner.

Hey guys, anybody here has a degree in biochemistry or considering one?

Also, i'd like to know what it takes to get into the supplement industry. Like involved in product manufacture or research kinda stuff.

To all pt's out there, whats the pay like bros?

my current job is working nights with an occasinal 9-5 thrown in there.... it's got me whacked out and i haven't been able to train... it's killing me... i want to do what i love and get paid for it essentially.

SCREW SALESMANSHIP

Iv been a PT for 4 months, told my boss i am not a salesman. I dont try to sell shit. I tell them what i can do, they decide. Im almost all booked up 5 days a week and i havent tried to sell a damn thing. Word travels, people see me on the floor, etc. . . I have a lot of guys who wanna get big, look at me, and decide i can do it for them. I duno, i just disagree with the salesman bullshit with bein a PT. Iv been offered 3 jobs by other PTs that see me in the gym or by my own clients who know other places to train at and know the owner. If your good, ur good, and theyl find you.

TooPowerful4u said:
I tell them what i can do, they decide. Im almost all booked up 5 days a week and i havent tried to sell a damn thing.

To a large degree thats what its like being a club trainer. You dont "need" to make the initial sale cause others are there to make it for you - BUT, if you lack the ability to REINFORCE the sale and keep their confidence up cliens WILL leave you. You sell them everytime you think to yourself "Oh man, this is gonna KILL him *and smile*" because you reaffirm their reasons for "buying" you and stack the odds in your favor that they will stay on.

I worked in the industry for a long time. Managed clubs, trained, sold and sold and sold, lol. Someone mentioned the hours - take that to heart. Its not uncommon for a club PT to work a 50 + hours a week and barely make 30 grand. And no one wants to "just make 30 grand" . . .

The real money is in being independent. If you are a club trainer and they bill your time at 60 bucks an hour, you may only see 18 depending on the pay structure. If you are an ind. YOU bill your time at 45 and SEE 45!! They get a deal you make a steal :D The down side is that you need your own equipment AND insurance - never leave home with out THAT bro! But even with those costs factored in, you still have a far greater earnings potential than a club trainer.

One more piece of advice: CERTS, CERTS, CERTS!!!! Get 'em by the bucket load. AFAA, ACE, Bubbas personal training and chicken frying -whatever! Just get as many certs as you can and keep them up to date. To those in the know it doesnt mean ALL that much but it impresses the hell out of clients!!!

I agree with Big Mike, and if your going to load up on Certs, at least make them reputable ones....no need wasting money on misinformed certifications. If you really want to excel and have the time/finances, enroll to get your associates in kinesiology, or exercise science.

Jonnyel said:
If you really want to excel and have the time/finances, enroll to get your associates in kinesiology, or exercise science.

The ex had her BACHELORS in exercise physiology and didnt make any more than I did truth be told. She now works in a different industry all together and regrets her choice of major. So way that heavily brother!

And even though the Certs are good-make sure they apply to your work environment. So for guys who are working with sports specific athletes-the CCS is good. And it holds alot of weight.
But if you work in the average gym, maybe a weight mangement Cert will apply. Goes without saying, you get the CPT first.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
methyl m1ke
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws