advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How does this chest/front,side delt/tri workout look?

Jake LaMotta

Registered
I'm just returning after a long layoff (I had shoulder surgery Oct 2008). I've been back in the gym for about 3 months. Can you guys please critique my back/bi workout? I will be doing all exercises 3x8-10 with the same weight every set. When I hit 10 reps on all 3 sets I will increase the weight the next workout week. I can't do skull crushers because they hurt my elbows and I can't do close grip bench press because they hurt my wrist. I also cannot do any pressing with a barbell because of my previous shoulder injury and surgeries.

1. Flat dumbbell bench press
2. Incline dumbbell bench press
3. Seated overhead dumbbell press or seated front dumbbell raises
4. Seated dumbbell lateral raises
5. Tricep pushdowns

A couple questions:

1. How does this chest/front,side delt/tri workout look? Too much? Not enough? Exercise selection? Order of exercises? Sets and reps?

2. Right now I'm either doing seated overhead dumbbell press or seated front dumbbell raises for my third exercise. If I were to drop the seated front dumbbell raises and just do the seated overhead dumbbell press, with this workout will I be working my front delts sufficiently or is it absoloutely necessary I add the seated front dumbbell raises for isolated front delt work? Will my front delts be getting worked enough from the flat, incline, and overhead pressing?

3. With all the pushing I'm doing, is it even necessary to do the tricep pushdowns or will my tris be getting worked enough from the flat, incline, and overhead pressing I'm doing?

4. I know incline dumbbell bench press works the upper pecs and flat dumbbell bench press works the lower pecs but does incline dumbbell bench press work the lower pecs at all? And does flat dumbbell bench press work the upper pecs at all?

Thanks guys.

Last edited:
I.M.H.O., I wouldnt have two chest pressing movements, especially a flat movement after your shoulder issues. Why not try:

1. Incline Dumbell Press, warmups, 2 working sets of 12-15
2. Incline Fly - 2 sets of 15 - 20

You're right about the direct tricep work, you don't need it because of the previous chest and shoulder work.
then everything else you listed for shoulders and tris the same. I suggest higher reps just because you've had the shoulder surgery and shouldnt really go into anything less than 12 reps or go too heavy. again just my .02 cents.

I noticed you have posted similar threads about every bodypart bro. A good place to start reading would be in the articles forum.

Read: Growth principles for beginners by Big A. I believe it is the first sticky in that section. It has several helpful pages to teach beginners, re-emphasize info to imtermediates, and remind us vets the about basic important fundamentals for muscle growth. A must read for anyone.

Best of luck

I.M.H.O., I wouldnt have two chest pressing movements, especially a flat movement after your shoulder issues. Why not try:

1. Incline Dumbell Press, warmups, 2 working sets of 12-15
2. Incline Fly - 2 sets of 15 - 20

You're right about the direct tricep work, you don't need it because of the previous chest and shoulder work.
then everything else you listed for shoulders and tris the same. I suggest higher reps just because you've had the shoulder surgery and shouldnt really go into anything less than 12 reps or go too heavy. again just my .02 cents.

I added a fourth question. What do you think?

...4. I know incline dumbbell bench press works the upper pecs and flat dumbbell bench press works the lower pecs but does incline dumbbell bench press work the lower pecs at all? And does flat dumbbell bench press work the upper pecs at all?...

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
jd08
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131