over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How man calories do the pros eat?

-Z-

Registered
Now, I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this question, but I'd like to hear what others think.

I'm having a debate on another board about the amount of calories IFBB Pros take it in the offseason to gain size. The member on the other board is trying to convince me that 12,000cal is the norm and no pro is under 8,000cal/day.

I've told him he's wrong, posted up multiple diets from pro's website (i.e. Jay Cutler's "Blueprints to the Olympia") and none of those came out to more than 5,000cal. Granted most of these diets were Olympia prep diets (9-10 weeks out), but nobody is adding fucking 7,000 more calories in during the offseason.

I guess this turned into more of a rant than a question, but how many calories do you think the average pro is taking in.

My guess anywhere in the 5,000 to 7,000 range.

I talked to Steve Kuclo at the emerald back stage (which is no pro, but soon to be ;) ) and he said he was putting a disgusting amount of food away, now wether that's 5000 or 10,000 Cals a day idk, but he was 290lbs with abbs :) honestly I'm eating 4500 Cals a day and its rough at times, and if it's truly "clean" food I would say there just no damn way pros could put down 10k Cals a day of that clean of food! But who knows I guess :)

Branch Warren guest posed at a show I did last year and I got to talk to him some and one question I asked was "do you guys really eat 8-10 thousand calories a day" he laughed and said hell no .

I would guess that so e guys do force feed a ton of cals a day but for the most part I would think in the 5-6 range would be accurate

Think about it 2 grams of protein and carbs per pound of body weight and 3/4 of a gram of fat per pound , for 280 pound guy would be almost 6400 calories and I don't think they wod need more than that , and probably not in that ratio

Dorian Yates claimed to put down only around 5500 calories a day-which is was all clean, this whole putting down 10k calories a day, I don't even think most WSM competitors do this

There so many things to take into account. An up and comer is putting down way more cals, than the seasoned Pro.
Example: Kai Greene very easy to estimate he puts down 10,000-12000
Dexter Jackson very well could be on about 4500-5000

Some Pros are in maintance mode in the offseason, some are in growing mode.

Is it really hard to beleive Kai is eating 10,000+ cals?

There so many things to take into account. An up and comer is putting down way more cals, than the seasoned Pro.

It's pretty hard to believe that Kai is putting down 10,000 cals of CLEAN food.

I mean, yeah he's a big mother fucker, but 10,000 calories? That's eating all day. Like ALL day.

I love your posts eroc!
No it isnt hard, I am not near his size and I can consistently put down 5000-6000calories a day and fairly clean.

i dont buy the 8k-12k calorie stuff. If pros were eating that much than they would literally have to be eating SOMETHING all day OR their 6-8 meals would be enormous.

i remember watching a video that Nasser did and he was saying how he barely at 4000cals in the offseason. He was a fuckin monster

Zac King Khan in this video says its bullshit pros claiming that high.

He said, he's 300lbs & he only consume 4.5k. Sometimes 5k max.

not even the pros will say they eat 9k-12k calories per day. That is just bs made up by forum schmoes over the years

two of the more recent editions of Flex magainze had what was supossively Kai Greene, and Phil Heaths diets... and both were around the 10,000 calorie mark. I remember Kai's was definitely not all clean food included racks of baby back ribs and other crap food.

with that being said I think the magazine are full of BS hahaha probably posting up a cheat day for them if anything

It is very hard for me to believe that anyone can consistently put down 10k of clean food daily. Hell if he took in even 500gr of protein (would love to see kidney function on that) it still only is 2000 calories. That means another 8k of carbs and fats need to be injested.

Maybe cause I am 5'6" and 170lbs but trying to consistently put down 3500 calories of CLEAN food is not an easy task for me. Past two week I have consistently taken 250gr of protein daily which only accounts for a 1000 calories and trying to find another 2500 calories of good carbs and fats is not easy lol.

I say 10,000/day

I've seen these guys off season and Ronnie said
he eats 2-3 dozen dunkin donuts a day off season

Maybe 4,000 when starting to get ready to get off
bulking but no way 4,000 off season.

Maybe for Men's Health and some pros but not pros
like Ronnie

AND which pros say they eat clean when bulking?

When I bulk I eat everything. Well almost. I don't eat
much sugar because I care about my teeth and just don't
like sweets, but I don't worry about amount of fat or carbs.

I worry about carbs and fat when I cut not when I bulk.

I can eat 4,000 cal/day without even trying so I say
no way in hell is Ronnie eating anything less than 10,000
when bulking

Mantus

(would love to see kidney function on that)
High protein is bad for healthy kidneys?

Who told you that?

250g protein at 170lbs?

What are you trying to get from that?

Mantus

Last edited:
You people don't get it.

It's all about nutrient utilization. Which is increased by drugs.

Ever see the natty hard gainer who needs 5k calories to get a couple of pounds over 125? By your guys logic he'd need 15-20k to be a bodybuilder.

While there's a bunch of gym rats on loads of gear who don't know shit about diet and eat 3 square meals a day and walk around 225lbs.

Pros eat generally around 3-5k, maybe more for some, but it depends on the drug regime. Lol it's never, ever over 7k. You cannot even digest that much food. You'd be sick and lethargic all day. You couldn't train. You'd be shitting every hour on the hour.

It's normal stuff guys, just the drugs and genetics that make the astounding physiques.

Use some logic for a second, it's really not that big of a mystery.

Jesus....what is it with everyone named alpha taking pictures of themselves e/ Iphones in their avatars?

:banghead:

Can some of the guys here who compete at a high level PLEASE chime in on this bullshit session??

Dusty , Phil , mountiandog1, b-boy , Shelby , Alex and anybody else that competes at the national level if you don't mind could you state you off season weight and the cal intake to maintain that , just calories not actual diet

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear