over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How many total sets per bodypart?

MR.BICEPS

Banned
Ive been training for 28 years and have tried about everything. In the past couple of years I've noticed a trend of very few sets being done by many. For example 5 sets once per week per bodypart.

I have to do a good 10 to 16 sets per week to gain muscle mass with any consistently whatsoever. Yes I have tried the low volume approach but it only worked for a very short period of time and no so good at that.

Am I alone or are there others having to perform 12 to 16 sets once a week per bodypart inorder to grow? I'd like to hear some comments on this subject.

Last edited:
Haven't tried the low volume training I keep hearing about. I do about 12 sets per body part once a week and it works very well for me. I have actually gained 30 lbs over the last few months. As soon as I get stagnant I may switch it up. I just keep hearing a lot of good feed back on this low volume approach. Thats actually a good question....Does anybody still do 12 sets per body part anymore? Example: Legs: 4 sets squats, 4 sets of leg press, 4 sets extensions.

I believe that it's the intensity at which you perform the exercise that yields results more than "sets." Ages ago, when I did "lots of sets," you tend to pace yourself (at least subconsiously) 'cause the body knows the work load that's expected of it.

I've been doing doggcrapp lately and did HST prior to that. While I believe that HST is good, it was just a tad too much load on my joints. This may not be a fair assessment as I was undergoing Prolotherapy at the same time.

I made my best gains of a type of HIT program. So here's my point question(s):
"My" HIT program -
Increase weight for 3 sets, beggining at very light and finishing at high (not quite max effort). Then dropping weight for 3 sets, beggining with a weight I could max for 5 reps, then repping out (to no more than 8 reps) for last set.
DC program -
There have been many post describing this program but it's basically a rest/pause (10-15 breaths) for 3 sets.

Now DC calls this "one" set. Would you call "my HIT" program 2 sets (pyramiding "up" then "down")? Do you see the point I'm trying to make? It's not really number of sets, but how intense you work the muscle. Kinda hard to describe :p

Here's some good info related to that as well http://www.professionalmuscle.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=7550

xcel

ok

4 exercises
3 sets
10 reps

1 body part per week except back do one day for width and another for depth.

Re: ok

Vander_V said:
4 exercises
3 sets
10 reps

1 body part per week except back do one day for width and another for depth.

Vander do you feel 10 to 12 reps are better than 6 to 8 reps for gaining muscle mass?

this is highly individual, even in certain muscle groups, u gotta find out what u like

Its a good topic to bring up...I am planning on trying DC soon but I am gaining so well off my regular routine. I start on moderate weight and work up until I hit a weight that I can barely get 4 (or 6) reps with. Every step of the progression is to complete failure. get it done in an hour. Do 2 on 1 off. The results so far have been my best ever. 3 or 4 excercises with 3 or 4 sets per all until failure increasing the weight each set. DOne it for 3 months and gained 30 lbs but now its time to switch it up i think.

Mr Biceps

Yes i feel 10-12 reps is way better,,, i get a complete full feeling and a great pump and burn , doing 4-6 reps does absolutely nothing for me, but thats me.

I like doing 3-4 sets per body part. I do 4 body parts per day 3 times a week.
It goes like this:
Day 1 Chest ,Back,Calves, Biceps
Day 2 Shoulders, Legs, Quads and abs.

I went from middle to top of the light heavies in one year, I took me 3 years after that to play as a respectable heavyweight.

Rogue

Do you vary your rep ranges throughout the sets? That looks alot like the workout I do.

Yep
Mon-Tue 15reps
Wed- thu 10 reps
Fri-Sat 5 reps
Something like that + or - 2

i have been training DC style for 4 months and my strength has yet to regress. every workout i have gotten stronger.

Yep,
A variation on that, Phil got me into it in 95 and since then its taken its natural path of modifications to suit my needs.
You?

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
mp18201
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity