over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

How you calculate your macros

TheOtherOne55

Verified Sponsor
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
Sponsors
I was reading thru B-boys thread and saw a couple diets with off the wall macro calculations. I do know that as long as you are consistent, it doesn’t matter but it’s interesting to see how everyone calculates this stuff.
I personally go:
Chicken breast - 6g per oz
96/4 ground beef - 6g per oz
Tilapia/fish - 7g per oz
Flank steak - 8g per oz

And I’m eating 10oz of meat per meal. So I calculate that as 60g per meal with me only counting direct protein sources. I also calculate my rice ahead of cooking it. I cannot rely on “cups of rice” or cooked weight when it’s ready, too many off the wall readings for me. I calculate it as dry weight grams X 1.2 = grams of carbs. 83g of dry weight sushi or jasmine rice = 100g of carbs. For potatoes I usually go 5 or 6g per ounce of red/white potato.

What’s everyone else tracking?

I always weigh rice uncooked. Depending on how much water you use can make it weigh more cooked

Why don’t you just use fitness pal app?

This is so complicated bro..

and measuring cooked is so much easier.. if you use one, stick to it and the results the same

This ^^ I weigh everything cooked

I use either my fitness pal, avatar nutrition or cronometer to log my food (cronometer seems to be the most accurate)

I think it's pretty wild to assign general numbers to food items for macros.

I calculate macros based on the nutrition facts listed on the item, everything gets logged in MyFitnessPal. In the rare case I get meat without it listed I go to the USDA database and a few other sources for an average.

Every macro every day since I'd guess 2000. Used to carry a piece of paper in my backpack and write down and do the math. Since then my fitness pal. I even weigh out how much sugar free ketchup I put on my meat. I have some flexibility on my meal plan but it's always 3-4 meals that calculate to a total.

I just hired an experienced coach/trainer!! It makes life SO much easier and I don't mind paying a little $ to save on the time and convenience and taking the guesswork out of the equation!!

I’m using Macro Factor and used to use MFP the only issue I’ve had with them is counting protein in non-meat sources, my carbs (rice/potatoes/oatmea) add like 50-60g of protein to my daily total. How do you guys track it? Count the protein as carbs? The calories still matter

I’m using Macro Factor and used to use MFP the only issue I’ve had with them is counting protein in non-meat sources, my carbs (rice/potatoes/oatmea) add like 50-60g of protein to my daily total. How do you guys track it? Count the protein as carbs? The calories still matter
Track protein from direct sources, disregard the rest.

Why don’t you just use fitness pal app?

This is so complicated bro..

and measuring cooked is so much easier.. if you use one, stick to it and the results the same

Yea but with meat, if you cook it differently, or different time/temperature…the post cooked weight can be pretty far off

I burned the shit out if some chicken a couple days ago, 8oz raw weight cooked down to like 150g cooked lol.

I guess I need to use my oven timer…..

I always measure meat after cooking…this making sure I don’t burn anything of course.
And rice is measuring before.

Either way, I’ve done it this way for a decade plus. As long as you are consistent it doesn’t matter. I also don’t use any app or anything. My coach gives me a plan, I follow it. No need for me to log. I legit eat the same 8 foods all year long in different proportions.

100% yes, cooked is extremely innacurate

Throw a 8oz chicken breast in a crock pot and slow cook, then throw one in the oven until both done. Different numbers. THEN take those cooked chickens, put them in the fridge for 36h…..another different number.

My OCD cannot handle it lol. And I know it’s ridiculous to worry that much, it’s not like being way off on a pile of sugar or almonds, but I can’t. I just. Can’t. Do it.

I weigh it cooked always. Chicken shrinks when cooked because it loses moisture. Moisture does not contain any macros. So if you’re weighing your food raw, you’re overestimating your protein intake

I weigh it cooked always. Chicken shrinks when cooked because it loses moisture. Moisture does not contain any macros. So if you’re weighing your food raw, you’re overestimating your protein intake
No.
The nutrient values must be for the food as sold. Period.

This ^^ I weigh everything cooked

I use either my fitness pal, avatar nutrition or cronometer to log my food (cronometer seems to be the most accurate)
I also weight meat cooked since I cook in advanced. Fitness pal is pretty good for what it is, honestly there's going to be some variance since our food isn't made in a lab (yet) I think as long as you're in the ballpark with calories and macros you'll be fine.

If you buy chicken from a supermarket, chances are it’s plumped up with water to increase the weight. How would you account for that possibility if you’re weighing raw?

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
whodis?
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws