advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Improper squatting form - difficulty keeping heels down.

Flex2019

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Maybe some of you guys can offer some advice here. Squatting is something that doesn't happen nearly enough in my leg routine because I find myself unable to perform them correctly. I don't know if it's a lack of lower leg flexibility or what, but I can't keep my heels down as I lower myself. This puts me in a very unsteady position. I sometimes squat on a smith machine with my feet a little further forward, but it puts a lot of stress on my knees. When I was in high school I used to sometimes put a 10lb plate under my heels, but this isn't right either. I know that my leg development could progress a ton if I incorporate incorporate squatting into my routine. What can I do to correct this problem?

I have always had similar issues, a lot of it may do to a lack of flexibility in your hips. But a quick fix you could try is squatting bare foot, or wearing some Chuck Taylors. This should help a little with rocking up on your toes.

You could keep using the smith or maybe put the plates under your heels like before. If its the only way you can balance yourself, put something under your heel, Ive used a 2x4 before just to change things up. If you are not getting judged on your form do what works for you.

i got a problem keeping heels down when they are around me too

maybe try some olympic squatting shoes

and stretch your achellies tendons, hamstrings and hip flexors

try this stretch:
heels shoulder width, squat down infront of something that you can pull against. squat all the way down until your ass is against/between your heels using the fixed object to pull yourself forward and drive your knees out, pull your shoulder between you knees. Allow your groin and achilliies to stretch....
Once you're linber enough you'll be albe to sit in this position without pulling on anything. Stand up slowly and return to this position.
Practice and you'll get it...

how wide of a stance you going???

i would try smith, feet way in front
pushing back into the bar

:)

Stretch and then stretch some more.. Squat with a board under your heels for a couple weeks and go DEEP and it helps get the stretch too... I think it was mentioned about stance too.. work from wide and slowly work your way in until you get to where you need to be.. I use to squat very wide and im also very tall so it took a while to get the flexability i needed to squat narrow...

try this stretch:
heels shoulder width, squat down infront of something that you can pull against. squat all the way down until your ass is against/between your heels using the fixed object to pull yourself forward and drive your knees out, pull your shoulder between you knees. Allow your groin and achilliies to stretch....
Once you're linber enough you'll be albe to sit in this position without pulling on anything. Stand up slowly and return to this position.

Very helpful...

Maybe some of you guys can offer some advice here. Squatting is something that doesn't happen nearly enough in my leg routine because I find myself unable to perform them correctly. I don't know if it's a lack of lower leg flexibility or what, but I can't keep my heels down as I lower myself. This puts me in a very unsteady position. I sometimes squat on a smith machine with my feet a little further forward, but it puts a lot of stress on my knees. When I was in high school I used to sometimes put a 10lb plate under my heels, but this isn't right either. I know that my leg development could progress a ton if I incorporate incorporate squatting into my routine. What can I do to correct this problem?

OR, dont squat. Dorian Yates decided squating didn't give him the best quad developement so he focused on extensions, leg press, hacks..... had some mean wheels, or squat last when you're pre-exhausted so you dont need as much weight..... not everyone is a squatter.... good luck bro

It's flexibility man.. just use light weight, start the movement pushing your hips back, and you'll get it. Use a bar w/ SOME weight on it.. it will help you balance on your heels more.. if you try to do it without, you'll have you hold your arms out straight in front to counterbalance you're hips going back.

One thing kinda off-question, but on-topic. I've never understood the whole barefoot, Chuck-Ts are better at keeping your heels from coming up. What's the first thing people do when they can't sit back, or keep their heels down? Put weights or boards under their heels.. you can actually sit back FURTHER with your heels elevated. If you look at weightlifting shoes - Adidas for example, they have a wooded wedge under the heel. I think people get a FLAT bottom shoe confused with a flat foot. Yes, you want the base of your shoe to be flat as possible - that's where barefoot/chuck-Ts are good, but having a raised heel (with a solid piece of something between your heel and the floor to transfer the force) actually helps you sit back, keep your knees back, etc. Try it yourself.

Attachments

• 561107.jpg
    561107.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 815
Last edited:
I have this same problem but only when performing very narrow stance squats ( I slip 10 pounds plates under) maybe if you widen your stance up a bit you will be able to do them correctly?

as others have said it is definitely a flexibility issue so make sure your stretching, and if none of this works I would just stay away from them not worth injuring yourself over can build big legs with leg press and hacks

It's flexibility man.. just use light weight, start the movement pushing your hips back, and you'll get it. Use a bar w/ SOME weight on it.. it will help you balance on your heels more.. if you try to do it without, you'll have you hold your arms out straight in front to counterbalance you're hips going back.

One thing kinda off-question, but on-topic. I've never understood the whole barefoot, Chuck-Ts are better at keeping your heels from coming up. What's the first thing people do when they can't sit back, or keep their heels down? Put weights or boards under their heels.. you can actually sit back FURTHER with your heels elevated. If you look at weightlifting shoes - Adidas for example, they have a wooded wedge under the heel. I think people get a FLAT bottom shoe confused with a flat foot. Yes, you want the base of your shoe to be flat as possible - that's where barefoot/chuck-Ts are good, but having a raised heel (with a solid piece of something between your heel and the floor to transfer the force) actually helps you sit back, keep your knees back, etc. Try it yourself.

Thats a good point man. I think I am going to try this. I have very flat feet, so I have always gone barefoot, but like you have said it makes sense to put something under my heals.

Olympic shoes are the best training investment I ever made. No matter what I did with squats I could never get into what I felt was a "good" position. Got the oly shoes and man was I comfy!

OR, dont squat. Dorian Yates decided squating didn't give him the best quad developement so he focused on extensions, leg press, hacks..... had some mean wheels, or squat last when you're pre-exhausted so you dont need as much weight..... not everyone is a squatter.... good luck bro

x2. Have tossed free weight squats out the window because it seemed to hit my hams and glutes more than my quads. They also gave me some hip issues. I switched to leg pressses, hack squats, and smythe squats after pre exhausting with extensions and leg presses and have had some great results. So don't think you need to squat to get big legs...ask Dorian.

try this stretch:

Thank you, I just did this and it immediately made me realize how horrible the flexibility in my hips and groin is. I will continue stretching this way, I'm sure it will help.

how wide of a stance you going???

i would try smith, feet way in front
pushing back into the bar

:)

It's an issue with any stance really, but the narrower I go the harder it is to keep the heels down. As for the smith squats, that's what I've been doing but it would be a nice change (and easier on my knees) to be able to squat normally. If it doesn't work out, I'll continue doing smith squats as I do feel that they are effective.

Foam Rolling the calves and IT band helped me fix this problem

Thank you, I just did this and it immediately made me realize how horrible the flexibility in my hips and groin is. I will continue stretching this way, I'm sure it will help.

It's an issue with any stance really, but the narrower I go the harder it is to keep the heels down. As for the smith squats, that's what I've been doing but it would be a nice change (and easier on my knees) to be able to squat normally. If it doesn't work out, I'll continue doing smith squats as I do feel that they are effective.

couple of issues I see. you already mentioned tight hip/groin. seems like your weight shift forward when squatting to the bottom. either you're trying to stay too upright or you have short shins. try this technique. when viewing yourself from side, the bar stays in line with heel. engage both inner/outer thighs throughout the set. break the hip first then the knee, sitting backwards and keeping knee above toes. imagine you're getting your belly between thighs and hopefully the weight will still be on your heels. drive through heels and push hips forward to complete movement. BTW, please don't be offended, I'm not trying to teach you how to squat, I'm sure you know what you're doing. just these little details you might have forgotten to implement may be what was missing.

myo's right on

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Atomgear