over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Is Cardio really that essential??

I'm with Big Bapper and JT on this 1.

The majority of the "top" pros do cardio. Coleman, Cutler and Branch Warren being some of the bigger guys. Dexter Jackson and Silvio Samuel not so much classed as mass monsters but consistently come in with excellent conditioning. Both of them doing early morning cardio.

1 thing i will say is that Branch Warren apparently cut back on his cardio when prepping for the Arnold after discussing a few things with George Farah. He says he took his approach from 2 hours per day down to no more than 20-30 minutes. He also kept his carbs higher than usual. In my opinion it was the best Branch Warren i've seen (very hard/full) so there has to be something said about less cardio.

ILenny, I think you look great right now and I wouldn't try to mess around here at the last minute because you are beat down and sick of cardio. Next time......try it without the cardio and guage your progress. Just before your show isn't the time to mess everything up. That's just one jerks opinion. lol

I couldn't agree more with this. I think cardio, like much else, is a very individual thing and each person responds differently and needs / wants different amounts in their prep. Some may not even “need” it in their prep but it simply helps their anxiety as doing the cardio makes them feel like they are doing everything they can. Why is this not considered a valid reason to do it? I think it is. Each person just needs to experiment and find what works best for THEM. But the time to experiment is not in the last 3 weeks, at this point you got to “dance with who brung ya” and stick to the plan IMO.

All this being said I think low intensity off-season cardio is beneficial both health wise and recovery wise.

I am not going against any of my friends on here or their philosophies. I could care less. I don't have the best physique on this board. I am not competing and I do cardio because I enjoy it.

My "cardio" is simply walking. Not very cardio-vascular, if you ask me. I walk and listen to music, think, watch t.v. I don't think it's hard to walk. :) I think it's a good way to start the day. ;)

I eat a LOT generally and I think I have posted enough pictures on this board as proof enough to say that I am NEVER what one would call "fat." I never have a gut and always can see some abdominals. I am always at least 270-274 lbs.

I would point to a few of the guys who compete at a high level who seem to do cardio when getting in shape for shows.

Ronnie Coleman
Jay Cutler- Who until recently was getting nutritional advice from Chris Aceto.
Lee Priest.....

I find it odd that the best guys in the world with the best genetics DO CARDIO. In fact wasn't Jay Cutler riding his recombant bike two hours per day at his nice house in Las Vegas before the Olympia two years ago?

Doesn't Ronnie Coleman have a treadmill at his house in all his training videos?

The list goes on and I don't know many who compete who have not made friends with the treadmill.

Maybe some people on this board don't need it ....and I say if you don't need it or want to do it GREAT!

Lenny, I think you look great right now and I wouldn't try to mess around here at the last minute because you are beat down and sick of cardio. Next time......try it without the cardio and guage your progress. Just before your show isn't the time to mess everything up. That's just one jerks opinion. lol

I am with you JT, i feel it keeps me much healthier when i am attempting to add any weight and also makes me feel generally 'more in-shape'. I don't necessarily do it to lean up so much as i do for the health benefits and i do just about the same thing as you, i walk......its not like i am running, stair stepping etc. I read a book and walk, or listen to music and walk or watch tv and walk.

I am not going against any of my friends on here or their philosophies. I could care less. I don't have the best physique on this board. I am not competing and I do cardio because I enjoy it.

My "cardio" is simply walking. Not very cardio-vascular, if you ask me. I walk and listen to music, think, watch t.v. I don't think it's hard to walk. :) I think it's a good way to start the day. ;)

I eat a LOT generally and I think I have posted enough pictures on this board as proof enough to say that I am NEVER what one would call "fat." I never have a gut and always can see some abdominals. I am always at least 270-274 lbs.

I would point to a few of the guys who compete at a high level who seem to do cardio when getting in shape for shows.

Ronnie Coleman
Jay Cutler- Who until recently was getting nutritional advice from Chris Aceto.
Lee Priest.....

I find it odd that the best guys in the world with the best genetics DO CARDIO. In fact wasn't Jay Cutler riding his recombant bike two hours per day at his nice house in Las Vegas before the Olympia two years ago?

Doesn't Ronnie Coleman have a treadmill at his house in all his training videos?

The list goes on and I don't know many who compete who have not made friends with the treadmill.

Maybe some people on this board don't need it ....and I say if you don't need it or want to do it GREAT!

Lenny, I think you look great right now and I wouldn't try to mess around here at the last minute because you are beat down and sick of cardio. Next time......try it without the cardio and guage your progress. Just before your show isn't the time to mess everything up. That's just one jerks opinion. lol

JT...I am gonna stay the course regardless, but I may taper down from 60/75 minutes per day to 30 minutes per day around the 8-10 day out mark. I will just drop 200 calories from my diet while reducing the cardio, then carb back up for the show 36 hours before stage time! By the way some great posts, information, etc...from everyone. Good stuff!

JT...I am gonna stay the course regardless, but I may taper down from 60/75 minutes per day to 30 minutes per day around the 8-10 day out mark. I will just drop 200 calories from my diet while reducing the cardio, then carb back up for the show 36 hours before stage time! By the way some great posts, information, etc...from everyone. Good stuff!

Maybe not exactly on topic but in Pucinella's thread (sorry if thats spelled wrong), he states that he cuts cardio out the last week or so and that change in and of itself allows the last little bit of fat to melt off. So tapering down may not be a bad idea or a crazy last minute change.

Pre-contest (my opinion) - it would be better to eat super clean and no cardio than to sacrifice muscle by doing moderate to high levels of cardio and stimulating your hunger even more. I am 7 weeks out and do 15 mins 2 or 3 days a week.

Try the stair climber for 10-15 mins 3 times a week. Don't over-do it because you will drop weight and want to eat more.

Offseason, yea do cardio but then take in enough calories as well.

I do cardio pre-contest and year round as well.
I agree with what bigcat56 said, that it's individualized for people. Someone may have a really fast metabolism and not really need that much cardio during their contest prep.
I think it very beneficial not only condition wise but health wise as well.
For what it's worth Lenny, I don't do cardio the last 7 days from my comp either.

I do cardio pre-contest and year round as well.
I agree with what bigcat56 said, that it's individualized for people. Someone may have a really fast metabolism and not really need that much cardio during their contest prep.
I think it very beneficial not only condition wise but health wise as well.
For what it's worth Lenny, I don't do cardio the last 7 days from my comp either.

Totally agree that it is an individual thing, I began with less cardio for the first 8 weeks and increased to what I am doing presently, but it seems that the diet is what is hardening me up more than anything. I do not mind some cardio, but just was getting some excellent feedback from some great board members. I will stick my course and taper about 8-10 days out, to let the muscles start banging and poppin again! Thanks Lynx as well, it is always interesting when people taper or take cardio out...I guess the goal is you better be on your diet and lean enough if you do not like cardio! Bodybuilding is one fun experiment and finding what works for YOU!

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws