over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Is there any truth to Dave Palumbo's Cardio fact

You misunderstand me friend. Do not train to burn fat, fuel yourself with carbs to train hard....keep your weights up....building muscle is what is going to burn more fat..you don't get fat by consuming carbs around training...it's when you eat them not around training (with total calories also a big factor) that you get fat..

Thank you for clarifying. Then im on the right track. Im slowly getting rid of fat by building my calorie burning machine. . I think its time I read the Mountain Dog diet. I think ive come about as far as im going to on my limited knowledge alone. Thanks for setting my newb ass straight.

Last edited:
There is a lot of misleading information in this thread....

From Layne Norton:

On Cardio being catabolic:
When doing cardio, is there a way to not burn muscle doing it slower using aminos or at when does it begin or is it not a serous concern should I do it first thing in the morning or time meals?

Cardio is not catabolic, that is mythical nonesense. In fact, we find that in diet studies just walking 1 hour per day dramatically improves muscle retention. Now obviously these people don’t’ train with weights but still, it’s obvious that cardio is NOT catabolic like these cardio phobic trainers would have you believe.

As much as people would like to have you believe that glycogen is the only fuel you use during high intensity that is non-sense. This is the problem with ‘gurus’ who know a little bit, they know just enough to be dangerous.

1) you only need oxygen to oxidize fat, you don’t need it to liberate (lipolysis) from fat tissue. High intensity cardio causes a LARGE dumping of free fatty acids into the bloodstream. You see, for the brief part of the interval where you are oxygen deprived you will use glucose… but during the 40-50 seconds of low intensity of the interval where you are ‘resting’ your body will initiate a large scale oxidation of fatty acids in order to spare glucose. Your body is VERY stingy with glycogen and WILL NOT use muscle glycogen unless it absolutely has to. So you are burning glycogen yes, but you are also burning a ton of fat. The idea that you only burn one or the other is idiocy spewed by morons.
How does the information I reiterated from Dr. DiPasquale and the team at OTS conflict with Layne Norton? It doesn't.

The body is most stingy with body fat, which is why we store so much more of it compared to glycogen, and is readily burned along with muscle-tissue-supplied glucose after all available blood glucose AND all available muscle glycogen is burned.

Sure it takes a few hours of cardio to burn up every last bit of glycogen and you will indeed begin burning fat long before this happens, but the fact is you are also burning muscle tissue to fuel this cardio along with burning bodyfat and free fatty acids.

Cardio is a tool.

You don't always have to use this tool and it is NOT mandatory.

If you stay in good shape and are not lazy on your nutrition in off-season.

You can start your prep earlier -- as in, farther out than you LOOK and simply 'milk' training and dieting and strive to reach the best condition you can WITHOUT cardio.

I have done this as many of others and its great. You might throw in cardio a few times a week for reasons of general cardiovascular health, training stamina benefits, more hunger for refeeds etc..

People just dont stay lean enough, nor start their prep out far enough, OR are too afraid NOT to disregard cardio when they may in fact not need it.

-FF

what is your definition of good shape? within so many lbs of estimated stage weight? top abs, all abs, abs with obliques?

i would love to do a contest with little cardio. i did notice last year, i had to do less as my weight did not get out of hand as much

KP

I just think there is this idea ppl have that you only burn fat at the expense of breaking down muscle tissue or burning through muscle glycogen

or that fat burning starts at 20:00 into LISS...

both are just simply not true... at least not in any significant way.. i mean of course there will be SOME energy coming from multiple sources... but to NOT do cardio precontest because you are afraid of losing muscle i think is a bad idea

but then you have people like JM, who obv have ways of getting into contest condition without cardio and everything i said goes out the window lol so who the hell knows :p

Then again JM probably STARTED his prep in better shape than most people are ON STAGE! ha i dont doubt that for a second... so think about before you decide you dont need to do cardio

all I know is, HIIT always has an awesome impact on my physique, and I think the VAST majority of competitors should be doing cardio

How does the information I reiterated from Dr. DiPasquale and the team at OTS conflict with Layne Norton? It doesn't.

The body is most stingy with body fat, which is why we store so much more of it compared to glycogen, and is readily burned along with muscle-tissue-supplied glucose after all available blood glucose AND all available muscle glycogen is burned.

Sure it takes a few hours of cardio to burn up every last bit of glycogen and you will indeed begin burning fat long before this happens, but the fact is you are also burning muscle tissue to fuel this cardio along with burning bodyfat and free fatty acids.

The bodies storage of fat is soley dependent upon that amount of calories we consume. It has nothing to do with it being stingy or our glucose reserves. Any amount of activity under twenty minutes will burn body fat if said amount of activity is putting you in a calorie deficient state.

Last edited:
Regardless of fat burning, I think it is crucial that steroid using bodybuilders do regular cardio just for heart health, good BP, lower resting HR, etc.

Steroids and being heavy are both bad for the heart, cardio is one of the few things we can do that is really good for it.

I have read studies that weight training decreases mitochondria and aerobic training increases them. Mitochondria are involved in energy production and are responsible for a lot of things in the body including steroid synthesis.
I think there are many reasons to do cardio, and it doesn't take much time each week to do it, especially considering all the benefits.

I bought a stationary bike and put it in my bedroom. In the evening when my wife turns on the TV, I get on the bike and watch with her. It makes it go by really fast and makes me feel good about 'wasting time' watching TV.

KP

I just think there is this idea ppl have that you only burn fat at the expense of breaking down muscle tissue or burning through muscle glycogen

or that fat burning starts at 20:00 into LISS...

both are just simply not true... at least not in any significant way.. i mean of course there will be SOME energy coming from multiple sources... but to NOT do cardio precontest because you are afraid of losing muscle i think is a bad idea

but then you have people like JM, who obv have ways of getting into contest condition without cardio and everything i said goes out the window lol so who the hell knows :p

Then again JM probably STARTED his prep in better shape than most people are ON STAGE! ha i dont doubt that for a second... so think about before you decide you dont need to do cardio

all I know is, HIIT always has an awesome impact on my physique, and I think the VAST majority of competitors should be doing cardio

Yeah, you're right. The context of Mauro's statement was in regard to the practice of bulking up with tons of calories in off season and then come contest prep scrambling to get cut with a ton of cardio and a calorie deficit. But we can't throw the baby out with the bath water. I think what he said holds true from a physiological stand point. There's also a lot of variables and some grey area with all of this fat burning cardio science.

The bodies storage of fat is soley dependent upon that amount of calories we consume. It has nothing to do with it being stingy or our glucose reserves. Any amount of activity under twenty minutes will burn body fat if said amount of activity is putting you in a calorie deficient state.
I agree, under these circumstances this is definitely true. There's also the flip side to being in a calorie deficit, which is a whole other ballgame to the human body. It's an amazing creation when you really think about it.

Yeah, you're right. The context of Mauro's statement was in regard to the practice of bulking up with tons of calories in off season and then come contest prep scrambling to get cut with a ton of cardio and a calorie deficit. But we can't throw the baby out with the bath water. I think what he said holds true from a physiological stand point. There's also a lot of variables and some grey area with all of this fat burning cardio science.

Ah yea im talking precontest bruv... Cardio in offseason i think has its place but moreso for health reasons than anything

I have personally used dave palumbo and I have 100% faith in him and he got me in the best condition to date. He is very knowledgable about the human body.

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
808Labs
NapsGear