over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Lee Haney on Leg Development

Basic stuff that I think a lot of guys are hearing for the first time. And honestly, this is only something that comes into play when you become “dangerously” strong. I don’t want to hack squat first…because I don’t want to go 8+ plates. I’d rather do leg curls, some extensions, adductor work, THENNN go into the big compound movements. I’m fully warmed up, blood pumped and I can significantly lower the weight.

Something as simple as slowing the eccentric phase can also work well. 8 plates is cool, but 6 plates on a 5 second descent is also cool. Slower reps, pauses, pre-exhaust, any way to make the weight FEEL HARDER.
Amen

Basic stuff that I think a lot of guys are hearing for the first time. And honestly, this is only something that comes into play when you become “dangerously” strong. I don’t want to hack squat first…because I don’t want to go 8+ plates. I’d rather do leg curls, some extensions, adductor work, THENNN go into the big compound movements. I’m fully warmed up, blood pumped and I can significantly lower the weight.

Something as simple as slowing the eccentric phase can also work well. 8 plates is cool, but 6 plates on a 5 second descent is also cool. Slower reps, pauses, pre-exhaust, any way to make the weight FEEL HARDER.
I bc always do curls and extensions first but I end with band work or ab/Ad diction wrk

I've been doing this for a long time - first 2 types of leg curl - then leg ex, leg press and finally hacks squat but still I use 6-7 plates per side but I'm full of blood in my legs and it's much safer

Pre-exhaustion is even done in powerlifting in order to build a better foundation on the big 3

My best leg development came from leg extensions followed by 12 sets of squats in a double pyramid. Only the middle two were at the very high weight (685 then) then back down so lots of time at sub maximal weights and a lot of time total under load.

My best leg development came from leg extensions followed by 12 sets of squats in a double pyramid. Only the middle two were at the very high weight (685 then) then back down so lots of time at sub maximal weights and a lot of time total under load.
fuck - squats 685 lbs for reps - damn strong

I
fuck - squats 685 lbs for reps - damn strong
I was 21. Anything was possible 😉

Especially when I went and trained in the same gym as Paul DeMayo once a month for motivation.

I

I was 21. Anything was possible 😉

Especially when I went and trained in the same gym as Paul DeMayo once a month for motivation.
Even more impressive . . . that weight at that age 🙏

Do you regret in any way, shape, or form, using that much weight now? And in retrospect, think it necessary?

Even more impressive . . . that weight at that age 🙏

Do you regret in any way, shape, or form, using that much weight now? And in retrospect, think it necessary?
Yes, I do have regrets. I got nasty crunchy knees from that and they hurt for decades thereafter.

I probably could have lowered the weight to 585 or lowered and kept that top set at 10 reps rather than 6.

How many reps are you shooting for at 685 and then the lighter ones you said volume but are they failure or are you still counting

How many reps are you shooting for at 685 and then the lighter ones you said volume but are they failure or are you still counting
That was 6 reps at the top. Never complete failure unless I misestimated and then the spotters have to help me. I tried to avoid that however.

Apologies of I misunderstood. I started with 20 reps with 135 and progressed from there. I'd often not be able to complete 20 on the other side coming back down.

IMG_0394.jpeg
Great wheels. Great pose too! Few can pull that one off effectively 🙌🏾

Apologies of I misunderstood. I started with 20 reps with 135 and progressed from there. I'd often not be able to complete 20 on the other side coming back down.
Yea I was wondering how that 2nd pyramid compared to the first. I was 12 repping 520 then my son was born and I really missed on my legs for awhile. I mistook being big for maintaining strength and quality. I think I’m gonna hijack this lift but I doubt I’ll go over 315 the first run. That said I try to keep everything 12 reps or more these days or failure. 2 pyramids with max effort coukd easily take an hour. I assume by your post you have 2 spotters; you ever do drop set squats?

Yea I was wondering how that 2nd pyramid compared to the first. I was 12 repping 520 then my son was born and I really missed on my legs for awhile. I mistook being big for maintaining strength and quality. I think I’m gonna hijack this lift but I doubt I’ll go over 315 the first run. That said I try to keep everything 12 reps or more these days or failure. 2 pyramids with max effort coukd easily take an hour. I assume by your post you have 2 spotters; you ever do drop set squats?
I had three spotteers for those top sets and I didn't do drop sets in squats. I only did them on extensions where I focused on the contraction.

Supposedly never went over 185lbs for barbell rows, too.
I know he didn't do them very heavy but I've seen pics and he, like a lot of Golden Age guys, did their Bent Rows with their torsos close to or parallel to the floor. This is a more strict style and usually you can't use as much weight, as opposed to how Dorian Yates did them with a more upright torso position.

I had three spotteers for those top sets and I didn't do drop sets in squats. I only did them on extensions where I focused on the contraction.
That’s awesome finding 3 motherfuckers who can spot is hard as hell. I’m lucky to find 2 here and there for good drop sets.

Ever since John Meadows (RIP) recommended leg curls before squats I haven't looked back. But since then I've pulled a hamstring multiple times when playing sports or doing hill sprints. Anyone else have this issue?

I'd much rather do a widowmaker than stretch 15 minutes a day but it's starting to look that way smh.

I know he didn't do them very heavy but I've seen pics and he, like a lot of Golden Age guys, did their Bent Rows with their torsos close to or parallel to the floor. This is a more strict style and usually you can't use as much weight, as opposed to how Dorian Yates did them with a more upright torso position.
Just looked it up and you're right.

Here's a hilarious video 🤣 He does rows about 4 minutes in.

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
rh8767
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws