over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Making gains with low(er) protein diet?

Tyler Durden

Registered
I have been diagnosed with a mild kidney condition, which could possibly progress if I continue injesting large amounts of protein (I average 300-350g/ed). Has anyone been able to continue making gains with less than 200g/day. I think the docs would like me to get down to less than 100g/ed, but that is probably impossible if I still want to progress. Any thoughts are welcome.

"I think the docs would like me to get down to less than 100g/ed, but that is probably impossible if I still want to progress".

Uh:confused:...Weather you want to progress or not, your health should come first. This should be a no brainer! Your life has taken a turn that you don't like but please don't make a potentially bad situation into a life threatening, catastrophic situation. You need to accept the hand that you've been dealt and start living your life in accordance with the situation at hand. Just read some of the things that have happened to members here and how scary it was/is for them to loose their health and nearly their lives (Ex..Maldorf, Pekkerwood). What is the condition you have been diagnosed with?

Last edited:
Dudes in the penitentiary seem to grow just fine with sub-optimal diets. I doubt they're spending their commissary $$$ on whey. I wish you good luck with your journey, though.

i work in a prison. some of the guys are pretty big but most are just cut. you're not gonna be a mass monster on 100 grams of protein a da but you can certainly be in awesome shape

You can get in great condition. Just work hard. Health comes first.

What is your bodyweight? I was able to at least maintain on 1g/lb bodyweight. If I were you I would listen to the doctors and follow what they tell you.

What caused your problems, do you know? Maybe after lowering your protein intake for a year or so and living a really healthy lifestyle, your kidneys will recover and function normally?

Your health and wellbeing are much more important than how much muscle you carry. Living now after my heart attack is really hard in some ways, but in others I am glad that I dont live the bodybuilding lifestyle I used to. YOu might really be surprised what else is out there in life when you take a chance to take it all in.

The condition is called FSGS (focal segmental glomerular sclerosis), a condition where the kidney glomerus leak protein into the urine. It was discovered after a urinalysis for a life insurance policy found protein was in my urine, a biopsy confirmed the diagnosis, all blood tests came back normal. They do not know what caused it, as it is usually associated with blacks, people with HIV and IV drug users. I've been put on an ACE inhibitor which has reversed the condition to some degree despite continuing a heavy protein diet. It will never be normal as the kidneys do not heal like the liver. The goal is to keep it at a nominal-mild level.

I currently weigh 200lbs at 5'7" and 8%bf. I have been considering just getting a little leaner and maintaining, so maybe that is the direction I will go. Still, it feels good to get bigger.

Interestingly enough, someone on outlaw posted a study which examined 10 steroid using bodybuilders over a period of time and 9 were ultimately diagnosed with this condition. Likely it comes from a combination of high blood pressure, heavy protein intake and strenuous lifting.

I personally made lean gains with about 150g of protein a day. At the time I weighed 215lb.

The condition is called FSGS (focal segmental glomerular sclerosis), a condition where the kidney glomerus leak protein into the urine. It was discovered after a urinalysis for a life insurance policy found protein was in my urine, a biopsy confirmed the diagnosis, all blood tests came back normal. They do not know what caused it, as it is usually associated with blacks, people with HIV and IV drug users. I've been put on an ACE inhibitor which has reversed the condition to some degree despite continuing a heavy protein diet. It will never be normal as the kidneys do not heal like the liver. The goal is to keep it at a nominal-mild level.

I currently weigh 200lbs at 5'7" and 8%bf. I have been considering just getting a little leaner and maintaining, so maybe that is the direction I will go. Still, it feels good to get bigger.

Interestingly enough, someone on outlaw posted a study which examined 10 steroid using bodybuilders over a period of time and 9 were ultimately diagnosed with this condition. Likely it comes from a combination of high blood pressure, heavy protein intake and strenuous lifting.

I hope you were put on lisinopril.

i have ckd. my consultant said 150g max but protein drinks were a no no. he was more concerned about large amounts in one go.

I also have a friend who gains on 100g of protein but he has elite genetics and trains very hard.

forget the protein, just speak to a transplant patient and see what they have to go through. also if you end up on dialysis you only have an average life span of 5 years.

You can only play with the hand you got dealt. For the best part this lifestyle is now over for you unless you want to die quicker

i just was told i had protien in my ua but have heard nothing more as of yet.said could be from working out but i dont know.wish u luck.

I suplement with 35g of protein of LBAS, then eat two regular meals that focus around protein, usually chicken fish or red meat. I am probably a little over 100g per day, but I still gain. Thats me in the avatar.

I think quality of protein is more important than quantity (hence LBAs)

^^ I totally agree. You look jacked for 100g of protein per day. Sends out a clear message imo.

Keep your protine at 1/ Lbs and add more carbs.... just simple as that..

I've never fully bought into the belief that you have to ingest insane amounts of protein in order to get huge. I believe that timing is as important as amount AND I believe that it's more about genetics, drugs and food in general. I know some people who eat 400 grams a day, take significant amounts of gear, and still just looks like an average guy. I have seen stud horses that only ate oats, corn, grass and sweet feed that have veins and muscles popping out everywhere. I can pretty much guarantee that they aren't consuming 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight.

I suplement with 35g of protein of LBAS, then eat two regular meals that focus around protein, usually chicken fish or red meat. I am probably a little over 100g per day, but I still gain. Thats me in the avatar.

I think quality of protein is more important than quantity (hence LBAs)

Also ,how your body digests and utilizes what you do take in is of more importance.You can take in 500 grams per day ,but if most comes out the other end,whats the point?

^^^^THIS^^

It's not how much you take so much as how much you absorb and utilize/process.

Who gives a shit? Your kidneys are messed up. It won't matter how big your arms are in your coffin.

Who gives a shit? Your kidneys are messed up..

yeah and?????

Nothing wrong with him finding a healthy way to continue doing what he loves.

Bodybuilding CAN be a healthy lifestyle adding to ones qaulity and longevity.A lot of that gets lost in the competition portion of the sport when people will stop at nothing for more muscle.

The protein intake isn't as important as how much you absorb. So, yes you can make gains on a lower intake. It just has to be of the highest quality.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member
  • LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member