over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Mega Gyms....How do you handle it???

hotttsauce

Featured Member / Kilo Klub
Featured Member
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I travel a good bit for my job, so see my fair share of gyms, but just can not understand these mega gyms. Business is business and we are all out to make a living but geez.........

My gym at home is a smaller one, but has enough where you can train and a good atmosphere.

I use to think the Lifestyle chain were pretty huge until now.

Today I'm in Toledo and ask the concierge to recommend a gym close to the hotel. I could really care less what it is, just want to get my workout in. He tells me there is a Super Fitness 2 miles down the road, so I change and head out the door. Never heard of them before.

I pull up and think "man, another mega gym". Sometimes when I am traveling it's my best option. I walk in and it is just ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, the staff was very friendly/welcoming, place was clean, people a lil talkative but nice ..... BUT .... 12 different types of leg extensions??? 7 Smith machine racks, 6 loadable leg press machines?????? They had listed on pillars what the sections were (Shoulders .... Chest ..... Arms, etc.) The cardio section alone was literally twice as big as my whole gym back home. Place is packed to the rafters (guess why they need so many machines because I didn't have to wait on anything to workout, which was a plus).

I know people are in business to make money, but don't think I could workout there or a gym like that on a regular basis. Gawd, Mainevent with his anti-social personality would have to hibernate for a year from the interaction (LOL)!

How do you that use big gyms handle it? No idea how ya do ...... Just seemed so commercial to me, plain weird, uncomfortable. Maybe I am way off base but just can't wrap my head around it aside from the money they have to be making.

Makes me appreciate my lil ole gym and would rather be there anyday.

Last edited:
My problem with these gyms are:

1. They are not geared towards bb and or heavy training

2. They attract people that are really not into training, but to socialize and eat free pizza.

3. 80lb max dumbells

4. the new generation of tapout t shirt wearing punks

5. People using the equipment as a couch

Now if there was a super gym geared towards bb and or heavy training..i would like that.

LMAO....me, antisocial? Just because I freak out when its halfway crowded in our little gym doesn't mean anything.:eek:

At least your back to getting your workouts in......good job!

My problem with these gyms are:

1. They are not geared towards bb and or heavy training

2. They attract people that are really not into training, but to socialize and eat free pizza.

3. 80lb max dumbells

4. the new generation of tapout t shirt wearing punks

5. People using the equipment as a couch

Now if there was a super gym geared towards bb and or heavy training..i would like that.

Oh yea, plenty of Tap Out, crooked hats and exaggerated lat spreads!

LMAO....me, antisocial? Just because I freak out when its halfway crowded in our little gym doesn't mean anything.:eek:

At least your back to getting your workouts in......good job!

Hey now, I haven't been playing basketball or skiing:p:p:p

Chris I swear I was half laughing the whole time thinking about the bottles of Xanax you would need after working out there:p:eek:

Hate 'em

I have mega-gym Tourette syndrome. When I walk in those impersonal, multi-level, weight machine malls, especially when they are crowded, I get involuntary tics and start spewing cuss words spontaneously. I don't like those types of gyms at all.

i put on my earphones so people won't talk to me and i just look at the myriad of cute girls in between sets. it's not all that bad.

Aaaaand that's why I prefer my gym up here at school instead of the one back home.

I go to a Gold's up here, but it's privately owned and small. Its db's go up to 140 and I can train late at night with little to nobody there.

The gym at home was a Gold's, but it was franchised along with a few others tied together around the area. I worked there as a "porter" for a while. Porter pretty much means bitch that cleans the gym while the managers diddle each other's egos. It's a One-Life Fitness now. They literally just pasted their logos over top of the Golds logos. Like one day I pulled at one of theirs and revealed the old Golds logo behind it. They got a lil mad ;)

Anyways yall get my point. It depends on the people and the gym, but overall the mega gyms based around fitness are great if you're trying to hustle and make money, but when it comes to people with our outlook on fitness and bodybuilding they just won't ever fill our cups :)

Whenever i drive around a part of town im not familiar with, im always on the lookout for those little hole in the wall gyms.

Unfortunately, here in Whittier, California - they really dont seem to exist.

Give me a place like the old Vince's in Studio CIty, and im happy.

Sadly, those days are gone.

Whenever i drive around a part of town im not familiar with, im always on the lookout for those little hole in the wall gyms.

Unfortunately, here in Whittier, California - they really dont seem to exist.

Give me a place like the old Vince's in Studio CIty, and im happy.

Sadly, those days are gone.

What about the Uptown Gym on Philadelphia in downtown Whittier? Been to that one, small hard core. but this was few years back.

I got to look into that - i just moved into whittier about 2 months ago.

Thanks!

Aaaaand that's why I prefer my gym up here at school instead of the one back home.

I go to a Gold's up here, but it's privately owned and small. Its db's go up to 140 and I can train late at night with little to nobody there.

The gym at home was a Gold's, but it was franchised along with a few others tied together around the area. I worked there as a "porter" for a while. Porter pretty much means bitch that cleans the gym while the managers diddle each other's egos. It's a One-Life Fitness now. They literally just pasted their logos over top of the Golds logos. Like one day I pulled at one of theirs and revealed the old Golds logo behind it. They got a lil mad ;)

Anyways yall get my point. It depends on the people and the gym, but overall the mega gyms based around fitness are great if you're trying to hustle and make money, but when it comes to people with our outlook on fitness and bodybuilding they just won't ever fill our cups :)

We are /very/ close... actually workout at one of those onelife's now.

Last edited:
damn. Which one you workout at now man? Whenever I'm home I train at the one in Chesapeake. I don't really work there anymore though. They told me I could work one winter break and I assumed I'd be getting paid since I was working at least like 80 hours or so over the break, but when I asked where my check was they told me they thought I was working for the free membership. The membership was like 35 bucks and I was supposed to be getting 7 bucks an hour... dunno if my math was wrong, but pretty sure I got hardcore dicked over :rolleyes:

Giant gyms

I owned my own gym for 4 years, so my basement is loaded with a Hammer Strength Power Rack, rubber platform & half rack for olympic lifting, kettlebells, chains, bands and an assortment of other hard core stuff. And not so hard core.

I also go to LA Fitness. I love it. You can get lost and do your own thing because of its size, and very well equipped. Lots of nice scenery. :eek:

Now that I'm not a gym owner, I love going to the gym and not feeling obligated to talk to everyone. Now I just keep to myself.

But yesterday I had to wait for a squat rack because some 55 year old very tan, slicked back hair, gold chains, large (relative to his scrawny body) biceps and clown pants (his legs are smaller than my 10 year old daughters) was doing curls with a belt, straps and 15lbs on each side of the olympic bar. I wouldn't let him do that in my basement, but then again the stud muffin would no doubt be upstairs hitting on my wife.

I owned my own gym for 4 years, so my basement is loaded with a Hammer Strength Power Rack, rubber platform & half rack for olympic lifting, kettlebells, chains, bands and an assortment of other hard core stuff. And not so hard core.

I also go to LA Fitness. I love it. You can get lost and do your own thing because of its size, and very well equipped. Lots of nice scenery. :eek:

Now that I'm not a gym owner, I love going to the gym and not feeling obligated to talk to everyone. Now I just keep to myself.

But yesterday I had to wait for a squat rack because some 55 year old very tan, slicked back hair, gold chains, large (relative to his scrawny body) biceps and clown pants (his legs are smaller than my 10 year old daughters) was doing curls with a belt, straps and 15lbs on each side of the olympic bar. I wouldn't let him do that in my basement, but then again the stud muffin would no doubt be upstairs hitting on my wife.

Sounds like my LA Fitness. At least once a week, I find someone doing curls in the squat rack. Wish I had a camera everytime I see this...

Hey Donkeyballs.....

Sounds like my LA Fitness. At least once a week, I find someone doing curls in the squat rack. Wish I had a camera everytime I see this...

Are you also a member over at DA.....?

Welcome bro.....

I've also been over there for a while. I haven't visited there in a long time.....
I go by a different name there.....
Anyway, Welcome..... This is a great place.....

for me, the good thing about these kinda gyms is that you don't ever have to wait for equipment.

i just keep to myself and do what i came to do.

Are you also a member over at DA.....?

Welcome bro.....

I've also been over there for a while. I haven't visited there in a long time.....
I go by a different name there.....
Anyway, Welcome..... This is a great place.....

Yes I'm over there. Thanks for the welcome.

...I use to think the Lifestyle chain were pretty huge until now....

In my area Lifestyle's is the best all-around gym we have.

Plenty of free weights, machines, and Hammer Strength equipment. Plus, the dumbells go up past 200 and they have an excellent cardio area.

It get's a little crowded in the afternoon and it's a little expensive; but, it's the best equipped in ths area, by far, the staff is friendly, and they don't seem to mind me (the BB type) being there. They are as friendly to me as they are anyone else.

They aren't like Planet Fatness, though, no lunk alarms or free pizzas.

:)

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
systemfiles1
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity