over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Mistakes beginners make starting there bodybuilding career's

gradeaphysique

Registered
I am 20 yrs old and began an attempt at improving my physique through lifting and diet from the age of 17. At 17 yrs old I was 115 pounds at 5'4 after a year and a half of mononucleous. I acquired my training philosophy from videos I had viewed on youtube like most young kids do. I found myself starting a 5 day split that I'm sure is familiar with most of you, it was a chest, back, shoulders, arms, legs split. At the time that seemed like a no brainer, every youtuber, bodybuilding/fitness mag, person at the gym co-signed similar training splits. In hindsight that was probably the worst decision I made in terms of progression. It all goes back to the basics, I whole heartedly believe basic compound movements should be what your routines are based upon. 2 years into my training I dropped almost all of my isolation movements ( flys, laterals, etc.) and began a Legs/Push/Pull/Off/Repeat split. Fairly low volume for each muscle group but heavy weight, high intensity, high frequency. I experienced a increase in my weight, density of my muscle, fullness and my training became 1000 times more effective. Although I'm ok with going from 115lbs at 5'4 to 150lbs a the same height around the same body fat % in 3 years, I wish I would have stuck to the squat, deadlift, bench from day 1 ( notice the order I have them in) Why anyone thinks as a beginner you should be doing chest flys, side laterals, and leg extensions is beyond me. Isolation movements have there place in bodybuilding no question but, from day one of training? what do you guys think is the most optimal split for a beginner? Below I will post pics of my progression over 3 years

Attachments

• 042.JPG
    042.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 375
  • 2012-04-24_13-16-23_804-1 (1).jpg
    2012-04-24_13-16-23_804-1 (1).jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 348
  • 20130526_090854.jpg
    20130526_090854.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 347
Your current split is right on. It's all about learning to execute the exercises correctly and learning to feel your way through your training more then just lifting weights. A little isolation work added here and there will help. Best bodybuilding advice I can give you based on the biggest mistake I made is to not get fat trying to bulk. In this sport patience is a virtue, one I did not have lol.

I agree, From my experience my body reacted to training and eating the best when I was sitting at around 9-10% body fat ( the second pic.) Plus the more body fat you gain while bulking the more you have to shed come contest time. The leaner you are come time to diet the less time you need to spend dieting which usually means less of a negative effect on hormone levels and an overall easier prep.

i think its good to focus on getting strong on compound movements during the first 1-2 years of working out and its good to focus mainly on squat, bench, deadlift and a rowing movement. however i think it definitely is necessary to add isolation work for muscle groups such as calves, abs, biceps or delts.
otherwise youre not going to achieve a balanced and pleasing physique.

I agree, From my experience my body reacted to training and eating the best when I was sitting at around 9-10% body fat ( the second pic.) Plus the more body fat you gain while bulking the more you have to shed come contest time. The leaner you are come time to diet the less time you need to spend dieting which usually means less of a negative effect on hormone levels and an overall easier prep.

Think your going to go a long way in this game with that out look. Calves and shoulders imo benefit greatly from isolation work though although I belive arms get more than enough stimulation until your at a more advanced level. I'm a big beliver that arms are built in the kitchen and the squat rack. Heavy rowing and pressing on top of this more than enough for most non competitive guys. I blew a rotator cuff and couldn't press for 8 weeks. Could only do side laterals and front raises and they blew the fuck up. Don't shoulder press anymore other than 1 set on a machine at end of shoulder workout. Ready enough food shit to grow and do your compounds and every thing grows. Except fucking calves:banghead:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
I agree 100%, I experienced a similar situation to yours with my shoulders. I was always shoulder dominant and they grew at a speed where my chest and tris could not keep up, I also experienced rotator cuff issues that made pressing a challenge due to a year of bench pressing with no idea how bad of a position I was putting my cuffs in ( typical wide grip, elbows flared, no arch or scapular retraction) So I decided for close to a year to give my shoulders a rest from pressing movements and they really didn't atrophy at all ( probably due to the stimulation they get from bench pressing as well)

Staff online

• Bio
  • Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
rh8767
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner