over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

My workout philosophy or "The Three Most Important Things in Life"

Mike Pulcinella

Banned
Registered
I’m 47 years old. I made a promise to myself in my twenties that I would never end up looking and feeling like the typical middle aged American, you know, the paunchy, bloated mess that most people accept as inevitable. So far I’ve kept my promise to myself and, although I’m no bodybuilder, I am in much better condition then some of the 37 year olds (or even a few 27 year olds!) that I see. I have been able to do this by applying my philosophy of “The Three Most Important Things in Life” every day. I wanted to take this opportunity to share it with you.

The Three Most Important Things in Life: (in no particular order)

Family
Work
Health

I say “in no particular order” because on any given day all three of those will be vying for the top spot in your life. Some days your job wins, like when there’s a big project and you have to work late. On that day the list might look like this...

Work
Family
Health

Sometimes family pushes the other two down the list, like when your child or spouse gets sick. The list rearranges itself...

Family
Health
Work

Please understand, all three are intertwined. You can’t have one without the other two. Every day is a battle for supremacy, with each of the three things trying to knock the other two down. But here’s the thing...every day you MUST keep trying to push Health to the top of the list. Don’t allow it to get knocked down to the bottom unless there’s an emergency because of all three, your Health is the most important. Taking an hour out of your day to exercise is not beig selfish, in fact, it’s one of the most selfLESS things you can do. Why?

Without health you can not take care of your job and your family.

It’s a simple as that. Getting exercise is not a chore or even an indulgence. It’s a necessity, as simple and basic a necessity as eating and sleeping.

The REAL order of importance of the three things is this...

Health
Everthing Else

Health squeaks ahead over and over again because EVERYTHING ELSE is dependant upon you being able to do the things you need to do to take care of your family and job.

That’s been my philosophy for over 20 years and it’s worked for me. I try to get to the gym every day. Do I make it all the time? Of course not! But every day you have to push your own health to the top of your priority list. I know it seems selfish sometimes and health won’t win the battle for top spot all the time, but you have to keep trying because...

...well, because there is no alternative.

Mike Pulcinella

Last edited:

this is a great post. the older i get...32 now, the more i realize life hinges on health. now, i eat better, exercise, try and get enough sleep, try and stress less and supplement wise....i have all kinda things like fish oils, niacin, kidney complex, liver complex, multis, and not for bbing but to be healthy. im even doing cardio while not competing to keep my heart as healthy as possible.
life is short, and before you know it it will be over. its important to be as healthy as possible to get the most out of it.

great post bro

god bless
lucian

Thanks. I have a friend who is the same age as me (47) who just lost a leg because of diabetes. COMPLETELY preventable if he had only taken my diet and exercise advice over the years.

What he said....

I like to look at those things as legs on a stool, remove one, or make one weak and imagine what happens. The only thing I would add for some people is "faith/beliefs/religion" as well.

Mike:

I personally feel that this message cannot be stressed enough and it is the duty of us elders (I'm also 47)to roll it out there. Often things are tough for people to listen to that do not confirm their existing beliefs and lifestyle choices, but that does not mean we should not still try. Thank you.

Pekkerwood

We all thought we were indestructible when we were younger. it's up to us to stress to the young-ins that you gotta protect your health, your joints, your hearing, your skin, etc.

50 sneaks up on you real fast!

life is short, and before you know it it will be over. its important to be as healthy as possible to get the most out of it.

great post bro

god bless
lucian

Exactly right, we people get caught up with the everyday things in life and forget this part, we will only be here for a short time, sad but true.

Great post Mike1
I have been asking some of my more, shall we call them, less devoted clients that very question. "What is the most important thing in your life right now?" And not one of them ever, ever mentions health. Always family, money, house, job...........etc. I then point out health to them and that they did not mention it. For some it is an eye opener, for others a wake up call and for the ignorant few, the "AWW that'll never happen to me crowd" it is in one ear out the other. These are the same people that smoke, drink, eat all the wrong foods and ignore the advice. I only hope that they do not get a wake up call of a different kind!! They do not seem to understand that what happens to them deeply affects so many others down the line, especially that family they care so much about! Instead of looking after his/her family the family is now forced into the role of care giver and provider for themselves as well as the one that they depended on!

Again Mike, great post............I wish some of those that need to read this would!

Hey Mike! Thnanks a whole bunch for sharing that! It really makes sense to me and I try and apply a similar approach every day!! Well, I just turned 24 and I was wondering if you guys could give me some tips to help me to look younger for a longer period of time....and feel younger. I need all the help I can get! I'm at that age where I feel like my bones and joints are starting to ache just a tad bit more. It sucks!!! :) -STOrY

Mike, I also agree for the most part but you left out one thing
bud,......... the taste for classical music;)

im 37 now and know what you mean about taking health for granted! ive had quite afew problems last few years and it has realy changed my perspective,its scary when you dwell on your own mortality thats for sure, good post agreed. rich.

Excellent post bro! gonna be 40 in January and I think i've done a decent job at maintaining myself. many people think it's just inevitable that they will fall through the cracks and end up overweight and out of shape just like the rest of society, it's just accepted way too easily.

Thanks. I have a friend who is the same age as me (47) who just lost a leg because of diabetes. COMPLETELY preventable if he had only taken my diet and exercise advice over the years.

a loss like this is worse when it is preventable. so many people don't give a shit about their health. they will work like dogs to possess material things, buy the biggest flatscreen, fastest bike. they drink half the week and smoke, eat fast food, which should really be called fast poison.

many friends will say:
don't drink so much you're gonna die
don't smoke so much you're gonna die
don't work so much you're gonna die
don't eat so much junk food you're gonna die

but no one pays attention cause they don't say:
you're going to die tomorrow,
but that tomorrow will come many years sooner than it should if you would only take care of your body

Hey Mike! Thnanks a whole bunch for sharing that! It really makes sense to me and I try and apply a similar approach every day!! Well, I just turned 24 and I was wondering if you guys could give me some tips to help me to look younger for a longer period of time....and feel younger. I need all the help I can get! I'm at that age where I feel like my bones and joints are starting to ache just a tad bit more. It sucks!!! :) -STOrY

When I was your age I made a promise to myself that I wouldn't end up with a big gut like other 40 year olds I saw. My advice to you is as soon as you see the first signs of getting out of shape, nip it in the bud and do whatever it takes to maintain your health and physique.

At the same time be smart and don't lift too heavy and ruin your joints prematurely. Learn how to apply the maximum stress to the muscle with the minimum stress to the ligaments and joints. Good form and light weights will get you where you want to be into your 50s at least!

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Itisisaysme510
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws