over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Need lat help

jim12

Registered
Hey guys I need your help.

Some of you guys on here have some huge lats. I want them too.
My background comes from being a baseball pitcher so large lats were not a major worry as it limited my arm movement so I feel that I now have underdeveloped lats compared to the rest of my body.

My question to you is what excersize(s) do you feel added the most mass to your lats. I currently am still struggling with isolating only my lats and not bringing in other muscles such as biceps into my pulls. (still working on that)... What tips or suggestions might you suggest?? or is it probably just a matter of time and technique??

The 1 thing that work for me was pullups i was in a place were all i could do was pullups pushups and dips for over a year and i didnt have the best food at the time either. but my whole body changed for the better in that year. and now i always do pullups weighted or regular think they are a staple of bodybuiling sometimes the simple things work the best in my opion

wide grip pullups(weighted if possible) and rack chins are the basis for me. ive seen my best width development doing those 2 movements.

Don't know if I have the "lats" you speak of, but I do know what made mine grow the most. Deads and weighted pull-ups (all grips).

The 1 thing that work for me was pullups i was in a place were all i could do was pullups pushups and dips for over a year and i didnt have the best food at the time either. but my whole body changed for the better in that year. and now i always do pullups weighted or regular think they are a staple of bodybuiling sometimes the simple things work the best in my opion

when did you get out of prison......... joking man:D

O/T post

Don't know if I have the "lats" you speak of, but I do know what made mine grow the most. Deads and weighted pull-ups (all grips).

Your Hitler sig is quite interesting...however, using google, the correct quote is, "How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think." It kinda changes the way the context. I'm not trying to be a Dwight Schrute here:p

Your Hitler sig is quite interesting...however, using google, the correct quote is, "How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think." It kinda changes the way the context. I'm not trying to be a Dwight Schrute here:p

Well, I kinda somewhat knew that to be true. Just take it as I meant it to be a "paraphrased quote" *LOL*. However, I stand corrected! Thank you!

Pull-ups, pull downs, bent over rows and seated rows. Include a variation of under and over hand grip on those exercises and also a variation of keeping your elbows out or close to your sides during movement. Go heavy!

Pull-ups, pull downs, bent over rows and seated rows. Include a variation of under and over hand grip on those exercises and also a variation of keeping your elbows out or close to your sides during movement. Go heavy!

all of these and deadlifts. if your lats don't grow from this probably don't have the genes to have large lats.

Wide grip weighted pull-ups are my favorite well all grips but wide helps me most.

Kroc rows or dumbbell rows

t-bars

curl grip chins

deadlifts

If your gym has one of those pullover machines, give it a try. I have never used one but really want to.

Thumbless grip when possible

"mind muscle connection" but don't let that be an excuse to be sloooooow on your negatives.

I believe the 3 best back/lat builders are rackpulls, pullups and bent rows.

You could spend hours trying different machines, grips, pulleys, carbs and so forth. But nothing has built better backs than a simple rack pull, bent barbell rows and pullups.

On the pullups I feel that a closer grip, hands facing eachother, will yield the best results since the range of motion is much greater and the chances of injury as far less

...I'm currently am still struggling with isolating only my lats and not bringing in other muscles such as biceps into my pulls...

Some things that I do, maybe they'll work for you:

1. Use a negative/neutral grip when working your lats. Wrap you thumb around the top of the bar on the same side your fingers are on. This will help you resist the temptation to "pull" the weight toward you using your biceps.

2. Focus on squeezing your shoulder blades together. Imagine you are trying to crack a walnut between your shoulder blades. Think of your arms simply as hooks that are holding the weight stationary for for lats to move it. Let the contraction in your lats squeezing your shoulder blades together be the only muscle causing, and the only thing that dictates, when and how far the weight moves.

3. Form. Keep your upper body stable. Do not allow it to swing freely. Poke your chest out, it should look almost like you are getting ready to bench the weight. When you are letting the weight go forward (or up) don't round your back off and move forward with the weight. Keep your upper body stable and only the let the weight go arm length away from you- there is no need for excessive range of motion. You'll start to incorporate other muscle groups to move the weight if you do so.

Those three steps really helped me to isolate my lats. Maybe they will help you as well.

Good luck!

:)

Some of it is genetics…

How far down are your lat insertions?

1) deadlifts
2) t-bars
3) pull-ups or pull-downs
4) stretch
5) go home, eat and rest

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator