over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

No carbs post workout?

Dog-Slime

Registered
Verified Customer
"Avoid Carbs and Stimulate Amino Acids Uptake
Ken Hess
February 19th. 2010 - You’ve probably heard that eating a high carbohydrate meal after training is better than a low carb meal. However, this may not be the case. Keeping post-exercise carbohydrate consumption low can prolong the nutrient uptake window created from training (via increased insulin sensitivity). (1) This is because training increases the muscle cells demand for nutrients, including amino acids, for repair and sugars to replace muscle glycogen.

The resulting increase in insulin sensitivity after exercise enhances the flow of nutrients to the muscle cells in need, as well as increases the use of fat as an energy source since sugars are not available. As glycogen stores fill up, however, the cells ability to take up amino acids (for growth) and fat (for fuel) will decrease.

The idea behind the high carb theory is that when you exercise, you use up muscle glycogen. The most efficient way to replenish your glycogen stores is through carbohydrate intake. If your training frequency has you exercising several times a day or every few hours, you’ll need too replace your energy stores more quickly to prepare your body for the next workout, and eating more carbs post exercise will help. If, on the other hand, you train once per day or several times a week and are more concerned with body composition, a carbohydrate restricted eating approach may prove more effective.

- Ken Hess
CrossFit Trainer & Nutritionist

References -

1. Amino Acids & Proteins for the Athlete

Mauro D. Pasquale

Taylor And Francis Group 2008 Pages 356-358"

Found this article and wanted to see what some of yalls opinions are on this.

I don't feel the need for carbs after training, just massive quantities of Beverly Mass aminos.

One advantage though of taking in cabs post workout is to stimulate insulin secreation. I do know low carb intake will stimulate more GH release. To me it just makes more sense to eat a good balanced meal after a workout. One that is balanced in all the macros, and not worry about trying to pull some magic mumbo jumbo.

It's literally impossible for me to eat for about an hour or so after a typical workout.

My only option, if I want to take advantage of the window of opportunity, is taking the boatload of aminos.

I think they do a great job of stimulating enough insulin to be effective. I have no complaints with this regimen.

So they are saying that a low carb meal PWO increases cell's insulin sensitivity and prolongs the "anabolic window"? What good is having insulin sensitive cells without the insulin to feed the cells the nutrients? What am I missing here?

Nevermind figured it out. They are saying that because the cells are more sensitive to insulin and carbs are kept lower, the insulin spike is kept under control and the cells use the nutrients as they demand them. Right?

i feel like i gains are much better when i eat a lot of carbs after my workout

Did some reading on this early and seems a lot of guys are fans of just pro/fat(EFAs) shake and or meal after workout. Claim to stay leaner and add muscle just as good if not better. Anyone on this board use this approach?

Nevermind figured it out. They are saying that because the cells are more sensitive to insulin and carbs are kept lower, the insulin spike is kept under control and the cells use the nutrients as they demand them. Right?

They are saying the cells remain sensitive( from training) for a longer period of time,uptaking nutrients longer and essentially more if no carbs are present .

If you take in a big surge of carbs it fills up glycogen stores and shuts down this insulin sensitivity created by training faster than if no carbs were eaten.

Last edited:
Next time try cottage chesse.

Can you elaborate on that please? Now im curious as to why cottage cheese. Ive never heard of anyone else using that. I'm game to try.

Next time try cottage chesse.

I'd like to find some full fat raw milk cottage cheese. I think I'd still have to wait an hour. What's the science behind the cottage cheese other than it being a great protein source Emeric? I know the aminos are mostly hydrolyzed casein.

They are saying the cells remain sensitive( from training) for a longer period of time,uptaking nutrients longer and essentially more if no carbs are present .

If you take in a big surge of carbs it fills up glycogen stores and shuts down this insulin sensitivity created by training faster than if no carbs were eaten.

I never knew why the amino only route worked so well. This makes sense. Shoot, sometimes an hour after training I'd pop a handful more and then eat an hour after that. Basically I'd be bathing the muscles in aminos before, during (LBA) and after. This seemingly insignificant change in my supplementation routine has made a tremendous improvement in results.

Last edited:
Cottage cheese is utilized by the body slowly, slower than whey. I think he sayin if you give your body a slow protien such as cottage cheese then you have the tools for that prolonged window of protien absorbtion.

I belive the cottage cheese is broken down slower by the body. Almost along the line of time released drugs. You have protien available for a longer time frame.

I would think that a combination of whey (fast) and Cottage cheese/any other slow-digesting protein would be ideal. Immediate and sustained aminos. Yummy.

I would think that a combination of whey (fast) and Cottage cheese/any other slow-digesting protein would be ideal. Immediate and sustained aminos. Yummy.

SOunds like a reasonable assumption. I always used to have a small shake and then eat a normal meal along with it. A meal with some fiber etc that slows down absorption.

No, you don`t need to add whey, the cottage cheese has a low % of whey.
The good reson to eat cottage cheese is that cottage cheese is the highest insuline spiking of all proteins with almost no carbs, and the insuline spike can last 5 hours.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Dann828
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131