over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

No improvement at all in HDL with krill oil

papa pesty are u back from holidays ? Can u please double check that brand you taking mate. is that defo Jarrows?

Yes, it is Jarrows.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe John Meadows mentioning using chromium and ALA to increase HDL levels. Chromium is cheap and can't hurt.

I've used it on a cruise when normally my HDL is around 40-43. I had 2 tests with it 50+. My concern with it is the quality of what's out there. I don't like research chems at all and the other "brands" selling it as pills just aren't that reputable. The brand I was using when I had the high HDL was Primeval Labs.

Not trusting any source for it considering the cost is the primary factor I don't use it. Thanks for mentioning Primeval. Is that the pill version? How many mg did you use?

Not trusting any source for it considering the cost is the primary factor I don't use it. Thanks for mentioning Primeval. Is that the pill version? How many mg did you use?

Yes, it was the pill version. If I remember correctly I used 10 & 20mg. Both times HDL was over 50. I've been getting labs consistently for 15+years and I've only ever had one HDL test in the 50's years ago and I think it was just a "1-off" as my cruising HDL is consistently 40-43.

Niacin 1000mg a day helped elevate my hdl. Mine was about 28 and niacin raised it to 39.

Niacin 1000mg a day helped elevate my hdl. Mine was about 28 and niacin raised it to 39.
This will definitely work, but man... working up to high dose niacin can be a bit uncomfortable. First time I did it my coworkers thought I was dying hahaha. I looked like a lobster.

Stevie- as far as "natural methods", are some of the things below you recommend and/or have researched? Care to spill the beans on any others?

Astralagus
Ginger
Curcumin
Resveratrol
Oregano
Cinnamon
Sulforaphane

This would be a good start on activators of PPAR-a.

https://selfhacked.com/blog/about-p...ys-to-activate-it/#How_to_Increase_PPAR_Alpha

We, a lot of times seek quantity over quality. There's reasons to believe that not all HDL act as anti-inflammatory and antiapoptotic reactants. In fact it's been demonstrated to act dysfunctional, exerting
proatherosclerotic properties in certain environments such as; hyperglycemia, glycation <--those nasty little advanced glycation end-products, elevated estradiol levels could potentially increase copper levels, thus impose negative consequences on HDL function. As could progestins. I've mentioned this a few years ago.

Oh, let's not forget the detrimental effects of systematic inflammation on HDL function. That's a big culprit for dysfunctional HDL. Uncontrolled sleep apnea..?

Ideally when hyperfixating on a specific, like that of HDL. Focus on increasing the capacity of reverse cholesterol transport, and look towards the quality (function) rather than the unit of itself (quantity).

Fermented foods seem to hold promise on all the topics I had mentioned, according to some literature I've consumed. Olive oil has it's place in the functionality of HDL. Just don't get that oxidized oily stuff:p

Low dose ASA (aspirin) has been demonstrated to increase cholesterol efflux.

On the other hand, there's some suggestions that the slide-of-hand brings to light about Tamoxifen's negative effects on reverse cholesterol transport. (María Eugenia Fernández-Suárez; et al, Sept 2016). Yet we've perplexed it as okie dokie for increasing HDL. That's yet to be fully understood, I brought it to light on some recent research.

So much to learn, so little time.

Last edited:
How much are you weighing G? My numbers are similar and I tried everything to improve them. Citrus B, Krill oil, olive oil shots, grape juice, dark chocolate, 100% coca in my coffee, you name it. no real big change. I am over 40 and decided that I didn't need to weigh 260 pounds anymore no matter how clean my diet was or how i looked. Lost 30 pounds and my HDL went up 8 points and LDL dropped 60 in 6 months. Its overlooked on here because we are a bodybuilding board but when you get to a certain age, walking around at 250 plus even with a lot of muscle may not one the best thing for us.
That sounds exactly like me tried all that stuff, I guess aging and body weight don't help HDL. I remember reading years ago they were working on an injectable HDL to treat patients with low HDL as a last resort, not sure of where or what the drug was. (Edit- searched for it - https://www.verywell.com/synthetic-hdl-plaquebuster-or-just-bust-1745298 )
Weighing way too much these days, 3-4 years ago I lost 35 -40 lbs by just changing from beef and higher complex carbs with chicken lower carbs and tons of veggies ....no real secret right? over the years it crept back due to eating too much in meals of even good food, and eating too much after the workout...I'll speak to the doc about it, and my cardiologist actually have a physical and cardio visit and hemo visit on Monday.
I had an irregular heart beat event caused by the noro virus on a cruise in 2008, so I see a cardiologist every 6 months ever since then, will be curious to what he says about the HDL, hematocrit is still good at 54.5 - hematologist has set my limit at 55, due to my size and medical history.
I got a new sleep machine a few months ago and it's a dream compared to the older ones, so my apnea is treated - it's also set to "auto" so the settings change if I either gain or lose a significant amount of size. I generally feel pretty good, even with all the extra weight, not an excuse but in the mornings walking to work I park as far away as possible and with my gym bag laptop and meals strapped to me probably add another 20 lbs I am barely winded after walking up the hills and sidewalks which is about 1/4 mile away. More diet more cardio and will stay the course with the supplements.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe John Meadows mentioning using chromium and ALA to increase HDL levels. Chromium is cheap and can't hurt.

I just started MD's glucose disposal caps from TN, not sure if they still make them but I had a few bottles in my cabinet I started taking with berberine to help insulin sensitivity.

MG u said you converted to sub q for good. why u went back to IM mate ?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Professional Muscle mobile app

I had some family issues across 3 states had to travel back and forth so it was more easy for me to pop once a week when recharging at home, diet was pretty good I was eating mega fit meals and tried to avoid a lot of road food and was getting to the gym at least 3 days a week. In the past when going on vacation I would hit long esters IM and the weight comes back hard and fast, so no more.

I had some family issues across 3 states had to travel back and forth so it was more easy for me to pop once a week when recharging at home, diet was pretty good I was eating mega fit meals and tried to avoid a lot of road food and was getting to the gym at least 3 days a week. In the past when going on vacation I would hit long esters IM and the weight comes back hard and fast, so no more.
ok MG got u. cheers mate

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Study that came out last year said for Krill to be effective to lower overall cholesterol and increase HDL need 4x500mg pills a day minimum, and 6 a day for maximum benefit. I am doing this, but have not had my levels checked yet to see if it is effective.

I have been using Viva labs krill oil,3 a day for the past couple of months .I am doing bloodwork on Wednesday so when I get my results I will share them here

Study that came out last year said for Krill to be effective to lower overall cholesterol and increase HDL need 4x500mg pills a day minimum, and 6 a day for maximum benefit. I am doing this, but have not had my levels checked yet to see if it is effective.

This was until saturation point and then they dropped dose to either 500mg or 1000mg for maintenance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been using Viva labs krill oil,3 a day for the past couple of months .I am doing bloodwork on Wednesday so when I get my results I will share them here

Again, like I mentioned before, brand/quality of krill is important.

Again, like I mentioned before, brand/quality of krill is important.

Viva labs is the brand Dante recommends and used to raise his hdl and lower ldl

Viva labs is the brand Dante recommends and used to raise his hdl and lower ldl

Yeah. I used Swanson also and it raised mine.

ya well I was dosing 2 caps viva labs krill oil and 3 tabs lovas twice a day...so I expected some at least a little improvement...I'll stay the course and modify diet and cardio and bodyweight and get retested.
for those that know me well I tend to over-react to medical tests...a bit :)

Are there any other supplements we can add to our adrenal to increase HDL other than krill oil and aspirin? I started taking 500mg of jarrow bcm85 curcumin a day.

Last couple of times I ran Var longer than I should have red yeast rice supplementation has helped me.

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws