over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Powder vs Whole Foods veteran lifters opinions

I use a lot of whey. Either combined with rice powder or cream of rice plus a little bit of fat from a nut butter or olive oil and my intra shake is HBCD with whey hydro.

Mainly because at work I only have time to eat 1 solid meal so 2 shakes it is, one of which is also my pre workout meal. Immediately post workout is whey and cream of rice. No issues whatsoever and I actually like the simplicity and the fact I digest it really wel.

I see processed powders as a second rate source for protein. Whole food were always my main stay. 5 meals and 1 shake PW every day for decades. More nutrition in whole food then in processed powders. Now i am old and lazy and rely on shakes more, but it tells. When i start adding more real food in there is a difference.

Whole foods.
All the way!
Your gut health (microbiome) is the core of your immune system.
Stay away from ANYTHING processed.
As you get older it becomes even more important to rely on food
vs. supplements/powders.

Whey Protein isolate has a very high BV and easy on stomach, i wouldn't dismiss it. its the way people use it alone which is not ideal.

patric tuor says he doesn't have a problem with a shake here and there, but to many liquid meals doesn't train your body to use its gut or something i forget the exact line he used why he advocates whole foods over shakes. but nothing wrong with a high quality of WPI anytime the day , as long as its paired with some carbs and fats to slow the amino acid delivery.

also we seen hunter labrada having like 3-4 shakes a day for a period when he went thru GI distress. use all foods and rotate seems to be best . i consider whey a food not a supplement.
I have worked with pat. There is no whey in diet except post workout. And that is hydro whey. Obviously It's better then missing a meal but at top level bodybuilding meals should be prepped and no excuse to miss meals

I love to mix protein powder with greek yogurt and almond butter. Taste amazing and sometimes makes up for 2 of my meals 👀

I love to mix protein powder with greek yogurt and almond butter. Taste amazing and sometimes makes up for 2 of my meals 👀

I've been mixing cooked egg whites, Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, and rice cakes covered in cinnamon latley. High protein and gives me more food volume than when I'd mix it with whey.

I like to eat maintenance, and drink another 1K. Easy on my digestion.

1. I dont and wont compete.
2. Not a fan of over-eating / over-shitting.

Different likes/different goals.
(Plus I love shakes, its like having a daily ice-cream/milkshake). :)
Sort of kills any other sweet-cravings I might have.

I like use both.
4 solid meals and 2 with isolat

Enjoy your posts and I saw your post in the other thread about rice and steak vs other foods (you mentioned pork and ham I believe) being superior at equal calories.

I personally cant stand rice and typically eat rice cakes and fruit as my main carb sources, and love the occasional pork and som ham chopped up and added into my veggies and omelettes.

Wondering why you feel rice and steak are superior to other choices? Just the fact they have a better micronutrient profile?

this should be a good thread, I always choose whole food but I do admit some of my choices are probably less than ideal due to taste (drink a ton of almond milk, rice cakes, skip the steak because I like filling food and steak makes me want to keep eating more).
Rice is easy to eat a lot of and digest, and beef has significantly more macro nutrients than something like chicken

Half of may daily meals are shakes, but they’re whole food sheiks containing chicken breast, whey iso, and cooked cream of rice

I used to do this a lot. I always liked squirting some Orange Crush sweetener into the Greek yogurt as well. Freaking yogurt is getting stupid expensive these days though. I need to check them out again though, very quick and easy meal to prep.

I see some broscience in here. Both protein powders and foods are effective and people should be doing all the above. Variety is a good thing.

Never trust someone who says all protein powder is useless. They won't even be able to tell you the difference between any of them (whey, pea, plant based, etc.). Follow what the evidence says.

I've been doing some form of this for years as my last meal, with casein for slower digestion. The casein makes it thicker. The current iteration has crushed nuts and egg whites stirred in, then microwaved until it's cooked through but a little gooey. It's like a cake/brownie

Enjoy your posts and I saw your post in the other thread about rice and steak vs other foods (you mentioned pork and ham I believe) being superior at equal calories.

I personally cant stand rice and typically eat rice cakes and fruit as my main carb sources, and love the occasional pork and som ham chopped up and added into my veggies and omelettes.

Wondering why you feel rice and steak are superior to other choices? Just the fact they have a better micronutrient profile?

this should be a good thread, I always choose whole food but I do admit some of my choices are probably less than ideal due to taste (drink a ton of almond milk, rice cakes, skip the steak because I like filling food and steak makes me want to keep eating more).
We’ll in short I feel lean steak or venison, bison, elk) is just best for me. I don’t digest cooked fish well especially meal after meal. Sushi yes. So the micronutrient profile as well as the creatine and minerals that are in red meat, and we are trying to grow red meat so there’s that. Some of it is based on feeling when I’m eating red meat 5-7 times a day as opposed to others or mixing sources I just feel beast mode. I close rice bc it burns fast and clean but I also love sweet potatoes. There’s nothing wrong with ham it’s just not a quality protein source comparatively imo. As far as eating more brother if you’re eating grass fed red meat that’s a very lean cut center cut sirloin, round, tenderloin etc. it’s hard to eat too much. The fattier cuts are an issue obviously even in bison which has omega 3s in it. I think a low sugar almond milk is good and so are rice cakes and both are Whole Foods so you’re basically the same as me in general I think. I just know that I’m the past when I’ve relied on shakes my daily macros looked awesome but my results aren’t what they are compared to eating Whole Foods and for me that would include pork, (lean no sausage or bacon). The body just seems to be happy with less engineered foods and trust me comin up I had my share of shakes and bars this isn’t a stance I’ve always had it’s one I’ve come to.

For me personally sometimes its just the convenience of using protein powder.

I really like redcons mre lite.

If im busy i will have a few scoops and some fruit or rice cakes and peanut butter

I think for alot of us that dont compete finding a balance is key

Like I mentioned before. Plain greek yougart with some almond butter and mre snickerdoodle flav is life changing 💦💦💦

I've been doing some form of this for years as my last meal, with casein for slower digestion. The casein makes it thicker. The current iteration has crushed nuts and egg whites stirred in, then microwaved until it's cooked through but a little gooey. It's like a cake/brownie
I need to try this one. The egg whites and yogurt are fine cooked? I usually do the opposite, freeze the egg whites so they are cold like the yogurt. Always assumed you couldn't heat yogurt.

I used to do this a lot. I always liked squirting some Orange Crush sweetener into the Greek yogurt as well. Freaking yogurt is getting stupid expensive these days though. I need to check them out again though, very quick and easy meal to prep.
Greek yogurt and oj is delicious

I just drink my egg whites
I feel fine, I have muscles so I think it works.

I need to try this one. The egg whites and yogurt are fine cooked? I usually do the opposite, freeze the egg whites so they are cold like the yogurt. Always assumed you couldn't heat yogurt.
Heating the yogurt is probably going to kill the live cultures, so if that probiotic effect it important to you then I would avoid it. Heating the egg whites makes the whole thing light and fluffy, you just have to heat it up after everything is stirred together. Like you wouldn't want to pour the egg whites into something hot, or you'll end up with a mess of cooked egg whites that you're trying to stir into everything else.

Heating the yogurt is probably going to kill the live cultures, so if that probiotic effect it important to you then I would avoid it. Heating the egg whites makes the whole thing light and fluffy, you just have to heat it up after everything is stirred together. Like you wouldn't want to pour the egg whites into something hot, or you'll end up with a mess of cooked egg whites that you're trying to stir into everything else.
So your microwave the whites to make them more solid then adding to the refrigerated yogurt I assume? I'd still think the warm/cold combo would taste off but I'll have to try it.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131