over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

PROOF that shakes are more thermogenic than whole foods

dalvare1

Kilo Klub Member
Originally Posted By Layne Norton on Another Board:

\Myth busting 101... shakes vs. whole food, which is more thermogenic?
Thought you guys might find this interesting. I know you've heard more and more 'gurus' say to eat solid food instead of shakes because solid food has a greater effect on thermogenesis. Well the actual research suggests that liquifying meals actually induces a GREATER thermogenic response, not a smaller one.

Br J Nutr. 2000 Jun;83(6):623-8.
The physical state of a meal affects hormone release and postprandial thermogenesis.

Peracchi M, Santangelo A, Conte D, Fraquelli M, Tagliabue R, Gebbia C, Porrini M.

Department of Gastroenterology, University of Milan, Ospedale Maggiore-IRCCS, Italy. [email protected]

There is evidence that food consistency may influence postprandial physiological responses. Recently we found that homogenization of a vegetable-rich meal significantly delayed the gastric emptying rate and was more satiating than the same meal in solid-liquid form. In this present study we investigated whether homogenization also influences endocrine and metabolic responses to the meal. Eight healthy men, aged 21-28 (mean 24.5) years, were given the meal (cooked vegetables 250 g, cheese 35 g, croutons 50 g and olive oil 25 g, with water 300 ml; total energy 2.6 MJ) in both solid-liquid (SM) and homogenized (HM) form, in random order, at 1-week intervals. Variables assayed were plasma glucose, insulin and glucose-dependent insulinotropic peptide (GIP) levels for 2 h and diet-induced thermogenesis (DIT) for 5 h. Plasma glucose pattern was similar after both meals. However, HM induced significantly greater insulin, GIP and DIT responses than SM. Mean integrated areas under the curves (AUC) were 1.7 (SEM 0.38) v. 1.2 (SEM 0.33) U/l per 120 min (P = 0.005) for insulin, 19.9 (SEM 2.44) v. 16 (SEM 1.92) nmol/l per 120 min (P = 0.042) for GIP, and 237.7 (SEM 16.32) v. 126.4 (SEM 23.48) kJ/300 min (P = 0.0029) for DIT respectively. Differences between GIP-AUC after HM and SM correlated significantly with differences between insulin-AUC after HM and SM (r2 0.62, P = 0.021). These findings demonstrate that homogenization of a meal results in a coordinated series of changes of physiological gastroentero-pancreatic functions and confirm that the physical state of the meal plays an important role in modulating endocrine and metabolic responses to food.

there is a lot of wordiness in there but basically the results show that when they took a solid meal and liquefied it, it actually produced a greater DIT (diet induced thermogenesis) than the solid meal.

This is why we do actual research and don't just rely on brotelligence, so drink your shakes with confidence.

BTW, this study didn't even use whey protein which has been shown to be more thermogenic than any other protein source. Maybe if some of these guys actually did research rather than just looking for a good quote or soundbite, they'd know some of this stuff

THOUGHTS? I have always wondered about this... especially after hearing emeric talk about how bad it is to drink whey protein in water/shake form. Layne (who is a PHD in biochem and studies protein metabolization) advocates whey protein shakes in water and says its absorbed find and now its actually MORE thermogenic?!

Yea interesting post..Layne is a pretty smart guy

I noticed I seem to get leaner when I drink more shakes and bigger when I eat more whole foods.

Thought you guys might find this interesting. I know you've heard more and more 'gurus' say to eat solid food instead of shakes because solid food has a greater effect on thermogenesis. Well the actual research suggests that liquifying meals actually induces a GREATER thermogenic response, not a smaller one.

The physical state of a meal affects hormone release and postprandial thermogenesis.

Peracchi M, Santangelo A, Conte D, Fraquelli M, Tagliabue R, Gebbia C, Porrini M.

Department of Gastroenterology, University of Milan, Ospedale Maggiore-IRCCS, Italy. [email protected]

There is evidence that food consistency may influence postprandial physiological responses. Recently we found that homogenization of a vegetable-rich meal significantly delayed the gastric emptying rate and was more satiating than the same meal in solid-liquid form. In this present study we investigated whether homogenization also influences endocrine and metabolic responses to the meal. Eight healthy men, aged 21-28 (mean 24.5) years, were given the meal (cooked vegetables 250 g, cheese 35 g, croutons 50 g and olive oil 25 g, with water 300 ml; total energy 2.6 MJ) in both solid-liquid (SM) and homogenized (HM) form, in random order, at 1-week intervals. Variables assayed were plasma glucose, insulin and glucose-dependent insulinotropic peptide (GIP) levels for 2 h and diet-induced thermogenesis (DIT) for 5 h. Plasma glucose pattern was similar after both meals. However, HM induced significantly greater insulin, GIP and DIT responses than SM. Mean integrated areas under the curves (AUC) were 1.7 (SEM 0.38) v. 1.2 (SEM 0.33) U/l per 120 min (P = 0.005) for insulin, 19.9 (SEM 2.44) v. 16 (SEM 1.92) nmol/l per 120 min (P = 0.042) for GIP, and 237.7 (SEM 16.32) v. 126.4 (SEM 23.48) kJ/300 min (P = 0.0029) for DIT respectively. Differences between GIP-AUC after HM and SM correlated significantly with differences between insulin-AUC after HM and SM (r2 0.62, P = 0.021). These findings demonstrate that homogenization of a meal results in a coordinated series of changes of physiological gastroentero-pancreatic functions and confirm that the physical state of the meal plays an important role in modulating endocrine and metabolic responses to food.

there is a lot of wordiness in there but basically the results show that when they took a solid meal and liquefied it, it actually produced a greater DIT (diet induced thermogenesis) than the solid meal.

This is why we do actual research and don't just rely on brotelligence, so drink your shakes with confidence.

BTW, this study didn't even use whey protein which has been shown to be more thermogenic than any other protein source. Maybe if some of these guys actually did research rather than just looking for a good quote or soundbite, they'd know some of this stuff

THOUGHTS? I have always wondered about this... especially after hearing emeric talk about how bad it is to drink whey protein in water/shake form. Layne (who is a PHD in biochem and studies protein metabolization) advocates whey protein shakes in water and says its absorbed find and now its actually MORE thermogenic?!

This study shows the thermogenic effect, I was talkin about preventing muscle brake down.

Go and read the whole study, the same study shows that blood glucose and serum insulin concentration where significantly higher after the solid meal.

I didn't read the whole thing and don't care to. I don't think any thing would be better for you in the long run than real food.
Supplements are just that...SUPPLEMENTS, to a other wise real food diet.

so being that the food is broken down IE liquefied does it come down to the simple fact that the body has an easier time digesting the nutrients of finely broken down food rather then solid?

opinions.... :foo:-smil

This shouldn't be a surprise if any of you are enlightened enough to realize that the sport of bodybuilding is saturated with idiocy regarding nutritional biochemistry.

Whey isn't real food? News to me. :confused::D

It isn't solid food but it's real.

Say I take a can of tuna and mix it with juice in a blender and drink it - does it now become fake food (and a supplement instead of the real thing) since it's now in liquid form? Or say I take raw eggs and run them in a blender and drink them instead of eating them solid after cooking, supplement or food? :D

This shouldn't be a surprise if any of you are enlightened enough to realize that the sport of bodybuilding is saturated with idiocy regarding nutritional biochemistry.

The food in the study was mostly vegetable and fat with very low protein, one group was eating solid and one homogenizated. We know that homogenization it dozn`t do any good, homogenization breaks the fat into smaller size so is no longer separation, the original fat globule is last.

The food in the study was mostly vegetable and fat with very low protein, one group was eating solid and one homogenizated. We know that homogenization it dozn`t do any good, homogenization breaks the fat into smaller size so is no longer separation, the original fat globule is last.

Knowing Layne, I guarantee you he wasn't advocating for liquid meals over solid. Instead, he takes it upon himself to dispel alot of the incorrect myths out there in the bodybuilding world regarding nutrition (e.g. solid meal is more thermogenic than liquid, higher meal frequency is better, etc. etc.).

Layne doesn't push stuff like this in order to further another myth. He's just dispelling ones already in place.

I don't think that I have ever taken in a shake with the fat/protein/carb/fiber breakdown even close to what is in the study. So I would not assume that the same would apply with a totally different macro nutrient break down.

At work I have to consume a few shakes a day, even when I'm dieting. I prefer to mix dry oats, protien powder and mac oil wit water. Mixing the "whole" food with the "supplemantal" powder works fantastic for me. I wouldn't want to rely too much on powder only shakes though.

Knowing Layne, I guarantee you he wasn't advocating for liquid meals over solid. Instead, he takes it upon himself to dispel alot of the incorrect myths out there in the bodybuilding world regarding nutrition (e.g. solid meal is more thermogenic than liquid, higher meal frequency is better, etc. etc.).

Layne doesn't push stuff like this in order to further another myth. He's just dispelling ones already in place.

The study is not about just liquid is about homogenizat liguid, so by drinking row liquid eggs it will bo not more thermogenic, or row milk. I prefer non homogenizat over homogenizat for health purpose, is better way to put your body in themogenic stage without homogenizated drinks.

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws