over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Raising HDL

well, im aware of the "niacin increases HDL but doesnt lower heart disease risk" theory and there might be some truth behind it (theres more to cardiovascular disease risk than a low HDL), however that study is not reliable (and most of them arent) since it only compares niacin+statins to statins alone, not niacin to placebo... there might be some interactions between niacin and statins, and as it has been discussed here thoroughly statins have a myriad of side effects on their own and are not worth taking at all...

Yea, statins are just awful. Whether the study can be disputed or not, niacin also raises homocysteine levels, which is one of the last things you want to raise. That has far more impact on heart disease than HDL, which really hasn't shown to have much impact when it comes to heart disease. I just don't think niacin is worth taking. It's cheap but the flush is annoying and it's unlikely anyone gets anything out of it. So many better options have been discussed in this thread already. I'd run away from a doctor who tries to prescribe it. My guess is those same doctors don't even know what homocysteine is.

Yea, statins are just awful. Whether the study can be disputed or not, niacin also raises homocysteine levels, which is one of the last things you want to raise. That has far more impact on heart disease than HDL, which really hasn't shown to have much impact when it comes to heart disease. I just don't think niacin is worth taking. It's cheap but the flush is annoying and it's unlikely anyone gets anything out of it. So many better options have been discussed in this thread already. I'd run away from a doctor who tries to prescribe it. My guess is those same doctors don't even know what homocysteine is.

The elevated homocysteine can be offset with simple strategies.

Niacin is a good therapeutic approach for elevated Lp(a).

fuck all the fancy supps, just MOVE more.
do cardio.
stop using your car for one mile rides.
use your feet more.

while my LDL and triglycerides were never affected by heavy blasts, tren has managed to drop my HDL into the single digits a year ago...

ive tripled my (admittedly still low, but not dangerously low) HDL while simultaneously being on tren for 9 out of the last 12 months by simply doing more cardio and walking at least 10km a day. dropped all HDL-supps too (except fish oil).
niacin, curcumin, naringenin never did jackshit for me.
cardio is the best thing you can do. blood pressure will thank you too.

Cardio increases ABCA1 and APO-A1 gene expression, in which increases cholesterol efflux and reverse cholesterol transport of HDL.

Raising HDL is only as good as it's function.

Raising HDL is only as good as it's function.

can you elaborate on that? do you consider high HDL levels "useless" as long as theres no excess cholesterol to be transported or what do you mean with that?
i think im not getting your point correctly

Every bodybuilder will have problems with hdl. I just got blood work done. Everyrhing is in normal range. Except hdl.its so low it didn't even show on the test.

can you elaborate on that? do you consider high HDL levels "useless" as long as theres no excess cholesterol to be transported or what do you mean with that?
i think im not getting your point correctly

I'm in agreement with you on increasing ones cardio. We don't know if there's any benefit to artificially increasing HDL by-way of supplementation. Sure, it probably helps. To what degree?

Cardio exercise, increases functional HDL via ABCA1 and APO-A1 gene expression. To the best of my knowledge, supplements don't influence reverse transport of HDL. Testosterone does. To what degree of supraphysiological testosterone does, I dunno?

HDL can become dysfunctional, acting rouge, potentially setting the stage for atherosclerotic plaque.

There's more to it than just raising in isolation of HDL.

Last edited:

Aspirin takes away the.niacin flush if taken about 30min prior.

I'm in agreement with you on increasing ones cardio. We don't know if there's any benefit to artificially increasing HDL by-way of supplementation. Sure, it probably helps. To what degree?

Cardio exercise, increases functional HDL via ABCA1 and APO-A1 gene expression. To the best of my knowledge, supplements don't influence reverse transport of HDL. Testosterone does. To what degree of supraphysiological testosterone does, I dunno?

HDL can become dysfunctional, acting rouge, potentially setting the stage for atherosclerotic plaque.

There's more to it than just raising in isolation of HDL.

I think it's still worth trying to artificially raise HDL, even if it you're right about it not really helping in the grand scheme of things. It certainly couldn't hurt I imagine.

Fish oil omega 3's

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

And you want to find a brand that has a higher ratio of DHA than EPA. Also supplement that with a DHA product that comes from algae oil. And follow the rest of the advice given, cardio, citrus bergamont, grapefruit (not the juice), etc.

What about high dose Vit c for heart disease? L-lysine l-proline?

Niapsan

I used to take the script Niaspan which is a timed release form of Niacin. Since it is timed release you wont get any significant flushing at all. I took that and the statin Lipitor. I still take Lipitor but stopped the Niaspan because it really seemed to have little effect on raising my HDL.

What about high dose Vit c for heart disease? L-lysine l-proline?

The Dr. Linus Pauling method is what this is. I take these 3 things for exactly this reason. Just in case it works.

I take the vit c and the L-lysine every single day

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

I used to take the script Niaspan which is a timed release form of Niacin. Since it is timed release you wont get any significant flushing at all. I took that and the statin Lipitor. I still take Lipitor but stopped the Niaspan because it really seemed to have little effect on raising my HDL.

As far as I know you need the flush type. If u take with your as princpile it will reduce flushing

The Dr. Linus Pauling method is what this is. I take these 3 things for exactly this reason. Just in case it works.

Yes. That's how I found the combo. How do u feel about life arginine and log citrulline for heart?

Yes. That's how I found the combo. How do u feel about l-arginine and l-citrulline for heart?

I must be an alien because everyone saying niacin did nothing for them. I have used it 3 times only and very far apart from each time (years) 2 of the times it was OTC ones and it worked for me for the flushing you take an asprin 30 minutes prior and no flushing what so ever. And one time it was script one by my Dr. My hdl was at 9 and it worked again raised it back to normal

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

Yes. That's how I found the combo. How do u feel about l-arginine and l-citrulline for heart?

Citrulline is great for heart health, but I don't believe arginine is necessary if you take citrulline

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub
  • A50#
    Old School Moderator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
whodis?
NapsGear