over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Recuperation: TRAIN HARD! REST HARD!

RazorCuts

Registered
Recuperation: TRAIN HARD! REST HARD!

The experts state that, "Muscles take at least 72 hours to fully recuperate." This might be true, but I still would not recommend constructing a workout routine based solely on this statement. I would guess that it takes longer than 72 hours to GROW MUSCLES! And I will bet that it takes your nervous system and glands longer than 72 hours to recover from a hard squat or back workout. The lesson to be learned here is to not follow an arbitrary amount of hours determined by "science" between your workouts. The guidelines help: light weights impose less stress than heavy weights, arms less stress than legs, and so on, but in the end you will have to judge for yourself if YOU ARE RECOVERED enough to return to the gym. You must balance your hard work in the gym with enough rest time to GROW from the hard training. Rotating bodyparts, in itself, does not provide enough rest. You have to take days of complete rest between HARD workouts to fully recuperate and grow. You MUST rest your entire body.

With recovery there are many variables to consider. The bottom line is if you train hard you have to rest hard. You will find that certain exercises require near maximum intensity to perform the workout, and require several days of complete rest to recover properly from (like heavy deadlifts). The rule of thumb is to wait until you feel recovered before going back to the gym. Quite often a heavy workout is followed by a two or more-day rest period.

Modern bodybuilding has been saturated with the BODY PART SPLIT SYSTEM. Day One is Legs, Day Two is back, Day Three is Arms, and so on. This splitting is not the best way to train for maximum strength and size. Your body, as a system, needs days of rest. You don't need 22 sets for back and 18 sets for chest, and so on..with all sorts of multiangle exercises to make progress. In fact just the opposite is true.

You need 6 to 8 basic, hard exercises, done in good form, performed every few days, for 15 to 20 some total sets. Some of you may not believe this type of training works. I challenge you to prove me wrong. Train this way for 6 months and (if you are resting and eating) you will experience gains like never before.

Don't confuse bodypart recovery with overall body recovery. Big exercises like squats and deadlifts, chins and dips, impact your entire body as a system. You have to let this system rest to grow muscles. If you are anything but big and strong already or doing detail training for a contest, you want to allow complete days of rest between workouts and you want to stick with 6 to 8 basic exercises done for 2 to 5 hard sets, always striving to lift heavier weight in these basic exercises. Follow a program like this for most of your bodybuilding life and you will not fail to grow muscles.

You can perform grip work, neck, calves and abs out of your regular training time. Ideally do these bodyparts later in the day (at a separate workout) on the same day as your main training. If that is not possible do them the day after you do your main training and then take the next day totally off (maybe even the next two days).

Recovery is 3 phases. First you recovery the energy you used while exercising. That takes a couple hours. Then you recover your nervous system and glands (your bodys chemical ability to cope with exercise) as you recover your muscles and connective tissue. This takes days. THEN and only then, after your body has recovered as an overall organism, do you grow new muscle. Most people return to the gym MUCH TOO soon after a hard workout.

Recovery takes time. Train hard and rest. Return to the gym fully rested. Do not drive yourself through daily workouts or training that is too frequent, too difficult or too lengthy.

It would be great to train hard and heavy everyday. However you won't get very far if you do. The "problem" with daily training and training in general is it feels so good. It's addictive. I know. The stimulation is wonderful. You have to have an extra normal vitality to engage in daily workouts. After a few short weeks most people become very overtrained from frequent training and progress stops. Test it for yourself.

The basic assumption with weight training is the more frequently a person trains the more rapidily that individual will improve.This is a big mistake that leads to no gains. This is the most common mistake enthusiastic athletes make and the reason so many quit the sport in frustration.

Train too frequently and the body will not recover properly to get bigger. You might get more muscular and you might get marginally stronger training every day (if you have the vitality to survive on a such a schedule) , but it would all happen faster if you broke up your training to have several days of complete rest between hard workouts. Try it. It works.

o grow you must recover completely between workouts. This means days of rest between heavy workouts.

You have to train inside a structured plan of action, however inside that plan is a goal of constant change and progression. You must lift heavier weights. You must get stronger.

Training to exhausten is not needed to improve. Training super hard and over working your nervous system is not needed. What is needed is "training hard enough" to IMPROVE. That is hard enough.

You train for several months one way, then switch for several months to a different training structure.

Each workout should be similar to, but different from, the last.

Consider doing more reps or performing several reps of a different nature during a set. Try something different each and every workout.

You have to keep the body guessing.

Don't use this as an excuse to overtrain.

Last edited:
love the unlimited info you provide Razor.... keep it up brutha.

RazorCuts,

I hve been reading alot of your articles lately and they are great. I was curiousif you could give a sample routine you think is good or agree with.

Sounds like along the line of DC or Ironman's type routine.

dragonfire101 said:
RazorCuts,

I hve been reading alot of your articles lately and they are great. I was curiousif you could give a sample routine you think is good or agree with.

Sounds like along the line of DC or Ironman's type routine.

Here is my method. I do not belive in going to failure all the time only once every 3-4 wks. I use cycling and increment loading.

http://www.professionalmuscle.com/forums/showthread.php?p=148154#post148154

RC

I was reading that thread the other day. I was a little confused on this

Start with 3 sets of 10-12 using a weight that allows you to get all 3 sets easily. Then M-W-F you add weight each workout ,example 10 lbs for L Bodypart 5 for small depending on your strength or using the 5% rule until you can not do 3 sets of 10- 12 then go to 2 sets of 10-12 when you can not get the 10-12 on the second set go for one set of 10-12 then when you fail before 10-12 go to 5 sets of 5 using your one set of 10-12 rep max.

week 1 bench

workout 1 3 x 10 x 250
workout 2 3 x 10 x 260
workout 3 2 x 10 x 270, 1 x 7 270 failed

week 2 bench

workout 1 1 x 10 x 280, 1 x 8 x 280 failed
workout 2 5 x 5 x 280
workout 3 3 x 5 x 290, 1 x 4 x 290 failed

week 3 bench

workout 1 2 x 5 x 300, 1 x 3 x 300 failed
workout 2 1 x 5 x 310, 1 x 3 x 310 failed
workout 3 break

Is this right. It seems like you will be going to 5 x 5 quick

Last edited:
You want an A and B workout hitting the same muscle groups but alternating M-W-F . So your progression will be slower yet keeping workload down and frequency up.

Say you can bench 300 3 x 10. You will use 15 lbs increments. You want to fail at about the 6th workout. you will need to start at 225 and add 15 every time you bench. So you will fail at your sixth workout which will be entering week 4. Then you will go to 2 sets after adding another 15 if you fail on your second set you will then go to one set add 15 and will fail there also.
Then you take the wieght you failed on the 3 x 10 and use that for your 5's using the same formula. 300 x 5.
You may get stronger and the cycle may take longer.
The whole point is only going to failure 1 week out of 4 yet still using progression.
RC

You want an A and B workout hitting the same muscle groups but alternating M-W-F .

An A and B whole body workout so your hitting the whole body 3 times a week but using different exercises one day a week.

Or a push(A) and pull (B) workout that alternates.

dragonfire101 said:
An A and B whole body workout so your hitting the whole body 3 times a week but using different exercises one day a week.

Or a push(A) and pull (B) workout that alternates.

A whole body workout done 3x a week.

Example

A
Squat
Bench
B Row
OH Press
Curl
Tricep Pressdown

B
Deadlift
Incline Press