over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Glycerol/Glycerine - Hard on Kidneys

whacked

Registered
Been using this quite a bit lately for enhanced vascularity. Works very well for me. I figured I’d better look into what I was taking so much of lately. None of these are smoking guns per se but given that there were plenty of similar articles; it was enough to get me to quit. Lol.

Glycerol treatment produced significant renal structural abnormalities and functional impairment (increased urea and creatinine). Increase in myeloperoxidase (MPO) and malondialdehyde (MDA) clearly suggested the involvement of oxidative stress and neutrophilic activity following glycerol administration.

Glycerol has been known to induce hemolysis and acute kidney injury (AKI), given its high osmolality and molecular weight. Since the 1970s, cases of intravascular hemolysis and/or AKI caused by intravenous glycerin infusion have been reported (1).

Is glycerol nephrotoxic? The pathogenic mechanisms of glycerol-induced myoglobinuric ARF involve ischemic injury, tubular nephrotoxicity caused by myoglobin, and the renal actions of cytokines released after rhabdomyolysis

Renal tubular function in glycerol-induced acute renal failure​

That paper is mildly interesting but I'm guessing that the amount they used in that study to induce renal failure in those rats would be equal to MANY magnitudes higher than what we would typically consume orally (noting that it was infused in the study, 50% 10 ml/kg bw).

Also, that second quote above (referencing AKI) appears to be referencing a case where someone was administered a glycerine enema. So perhaps don't do that, eh? ;)

That paper is mildly interesting but I'm guessing that the amount they used in that study to induce renal failure in those rats would be equal to MANY magnitudes higher than what we would typically consume orally (noting that it was infused in the study, 50% 10 ml/kg bw).

Also, that second quote above (referencing AKI) appears to be referencing a case where someone was administered a glycerine enema. So perhaps don't do that, eh? ;)

Good points

Still freaks me out a bit. Lol.

My eGFR is never wonderful, being in the 70-80 range and thus, I live with a heightened awareness (and paranoia) despite this value not being the be-all-end-all.

I’m not a massive beast like many around here (215-220lbs 10-12%) so my elevated creatinine is sort of a legit cause for mild concern; adding to this, I’m in my 50’s.

I ran a Cystatin C years ago. It was “Mehh”. I do need to run a Creatinine Clearance soon for good measure.

This^ - need to be careful when reading these studies and overreacting. I’m not worried about the 3 grams in my pre workout shake…

And yeah - I stopped sticking Glycerol up my rectum years ago.

there is/was a way to pass drug tests by using lots of glycerol and water and b vits. it works. ive done it and it feels strange. you over load on glcerol and it sort of shuts off the ability of your kidnys to filter stuff so you just recirculate whats in your system and piss out all the new water you put in. so i imagine in that sort of case it isnt such a good thing. i did this years ago regularly for probation. worked but not fun. im still here.

I was using a glycerol product that had 25g in it daily and was retaining loads of water and looking puffy. Just figured it was the calorie surplus+1g test.

Ran out of glycerol and poof - 5lbs of water shed off.

Go figure. Not doing that again.

Pumps were great though.

I was using a glycerol product that had 25g in it daily and was retaining loads of water and looking puffy. Just figured it was the calorie surplus+1g test.

Ran out of glycerol and poof - 5lbs of water shed off.

Go figure. Not doing that again.

Pumps were great though.
Unless you were eating like a total fat ass the water retention should have been INTRA CELLULAR. That's what we want...big, loaded, hydrated, muscles.

Unless you were eating like a total fat ass the water retention should have been INTRA CELLULAR. That's what we want...big, loaded, hydrated, muscles.
exactly - glycerol has no right to draw water under the skin, it's exactly the opposite - it "draws" water from under the skin and introduces it to muscle cells and I often use it at my clients on the day of the competition

Probably in reasonable doses, I think that at a certain point you can overdo it though.

My pre already had 5g and I was taking the additional 20-25g with it.

Didn’t change the diet at all and water went woosh 🤷‍♂️.

To be fair it totally could have been another factor that I haven’t considered.

Probably in reasonable doses, I think that at a certain point you can overdo it though.

My pre already had 5g and I was taking the additional 20-25g with it.

Didn’t change the diet at all and water went woosh 🤷‍♂️.

To be fair it totally could have been another factor that I haven’t considered.
Dude 25 grams is insane. I think the recommended dose on the True Nutrition label is 3 grams lol. I know as bodybuilders we push the limit but 8x seems crazy excessive. I do about 5 grams pre workout.

Luckily my peds are good for my kidneys

slets go

Dude 25 grams is insane. I think the recommended dose on the True Nutrition label is 3 grams lol. I know as bodybuilders we push the limit but 8x seems crazy excessive. I do about 5 grams pre workout.
Yeah looking back it was not a good move 😂. I may do it again during the winter if my bloodwork/kidneys are pristine, since it DID cause some sleeve-splitting pumps. I was ruining the sleeve hem on some XXL shirts during lifting sessions lol

The liquid is "more concentrated" for lack of a better term and has 15g/tbsp. @homonunculus has recommended/talked about pretty aggressive use in intra/pre when using the liquid. The powder is held back by cost and mixability of the stearate that it is "compounded" with so the dose is kept low in most pre powders.

He starts talking about glycerin at about 13:00 minutes in and states he puts a couple OUNCES in his, with an ounce being aprox. 28grams he is north of 50grams.

TLDR: powder glycerol < liquid = ALL HAIL LIQUID!

SpeciesReference bodyweight (kg)Working weight range (kg)Body surface area (m2)To convert dose in mg/kg to dose inmg/m2, multiply by KmTo convert animal dose in mg/kg to HED in mg/kg, either Divide animal dose by Multiply animal dose by
Human60-1.6237--
Mouse0.020.011-0.0340.007312.30.081
Hamster0.080.047-0.1570.01657.40.135
Rat0.150.08-0.270.02566.20.162

So
infused in the study, 50% 10 ml/kg bw
10 x .162 = 1.62ml/kg or 1.62g/kg

220lb individual = 100kg
100 x 1.62 = 162g that is

10.8 tablespoons

So 162 grams is a massive amount and infused no less. I have no idea what percentage of oral/PO glycerin is absorbed but you would be cooking through a gallon in less than 24/days at that rate. I would think you would be on the toilet long before you boxed your kidneys.

I do think this is something a hospital setting needs to be aware of if they are infusing with this especially if dealing with kidney patients, and I would hope they are.

I used to use it a lot more than I do now. Great for hyperhydration. It works well for Vascular hydration as well. I always knew when I reached my limit as I would piss like a racehorse. Maybe the kidneys were stressed by the increased Vascular flow of water with in it and gives some credence to the article.

I use to drink chocolate beef amino (had glycerine in them) like they were going out of style...LOL
Who knows how much I was ingesting? 😵

exactly - glycerol has no right to draw water under the skin, it's exactly the opposite - it "draws" water from under the skin and introduces it to muscle cells and I often use it at my clients on the day of the competition

Interesting. Do you mind sharing how you use it on competition day? How much do you have your clients use and how many times that day?

Been using this quite a bit lately for enhanced vascularity. Works very well for me. I figured I’d better look into what I was taking so much of lately. None of these are smoking guns per se but given that there were plenty of similar articles; it was enough to get me to quit. Lol.

Glycerol treatment produced significant renal structural abnormalities and functional impairment (increased urea and creatinine). Increase in myeloperoxidase (MPO) and malondialdehyde (MDA) clearly suggested the involvement of oxidative stress and neutrophilic activity following glycerol administration.

Glycerol has been known to induce hemolysis and acute kidney injury (AKI), given its high osmolality and molecular weight. Since the 1970s, cases of intravascular hemolysis and/or AKI caused by intravenous glycerin infusion have been reported (1).

Is glycerol nephrotoxic? The pathogenic mechanisms of glycerol-induced myoglobinuric ARF involve ischemic injury, tubular nephrotoxicity caused by myoglobin, and the renal actions of cytokines released after rhabdomyolysis

Renal tubular function in glycerol-induced acute renal failure​

Would be reeeeal nice if you could understand what you think you read and subsequently posted

all these things you referenced deal with injected glycerol

injected glycerol = POTENTIAL for problems if not used properly
oral glycerol = perfectly safe 6CB7C02B-8C58-4D65-8B0C-9A76A8EF7122.jpeg
B69601D6-AB45-4B65-94DF-69F4F21C214E.jpeg

Interesting. Do you mind sharing how you use it on competition day? How much do you have your clients use and how many times that day?
one person has already asked me on priv so I will write here how I use it more or less because maybe it will help someone

I honestly use glycerol the night before the competition about 15-30g depending on weight and on the day of the competition 10-15g in the morning with the first meal and 750-1000ml of water and another 10g before going on stage with 250ml of water 60-80g carbs and fast insulin

but I won't describe the protocol in detail because each time it's a little different

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
whodis?
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131