over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Rest Time Between Sets?

chingaling

Registered
Newbies
As I get older (51 now), my workouts expectedly have gotten shorter. Usually in the 45 min range. I see these young kids texting and on their phones between sets while I’m waiting on the piece of equipment they are on. Taking like 2-3 min between sets . I try to rest bout 1 min between Sets. Where do y’all land with rest between sets ?

As I get older (51 now), my workouts expectedly have gotten shorter. Usually in the 45 min range. I see these young kids texting and on their phones between sets while I’m waiting on the piece of equipment they are on. Taking like 2-3 min between sets . I try to rest bout 1 min between Sets. Where do y’all land with rest between sets ?
I think Paul Carter recently posted research on his IG stating 2-3 min rest between sets was best for hypertrophy.

I do rest pause for heavy work, 12 breaths. Then after pump work, short rests not timing them like some, focusing on destroying the muscle > worrying about a consistent time.

I think the Paul Carter way, straight sets with very long rest, works fine but very inefficient. I do a good amount of volume and 2-3 hours in the gym means less sleep.

Bis Tris delts get a heavy rest pause or dropset then giant sets after with little rest.

45-60 seconds is sufficient for most if doing volume training.

2 minutes if you’re doing progressive overload training and really trying to drive up size and strength. Maybe 3 minutes on top sets for compound leg movements.

Teenagers on their phones between sets… well that’s just the annoyance of most gyms. LOL there’s no science to that.

Between 10 secs and 5 mins. It varies movement to movement and depending on what type of set it is. I am generally a fast trainer but for working sets I am making sure I have approx 2 mins rest. Between warm ups it could be 30 secs to 2 mins with about 1 min being average for the harder ones. As posted longer rest periods are generally better for hypertrophy although your training intensity will be more important. Anyone taking a set to full failure shouldn't be ready go go again for at least 2 minutes. Although a tri-cep extension failure set is much different to a hack squat failure set and often with arm training I do giant or super sets so have no rest between sets.

Even when resting between sets I don't think anyone would ever look at me and think he is wasting time because I am usually out of breath etc. Now if someone is just chatting or scrolling on their phone (or both) that is different and if you see that and need the equipment just tell them you are working in or at the very least ask how many sets do they have left. Some people are clueless but nearly everyone knows when they are messing about so if you ask nicely they will always start going faster or just let you use the equipment. There is an opposite to this which is just as annoying and that would be the impatient and rude people who think they have more right to equipment and they go up to people when they have just started then proceed to just stand there and stare hoping they rush.

To the OP 2-3 mins could be long or it could be short depending on details. I see guys all the time doing half arsed sets and not trying then spending 3 mins on their phone then doing the same again and again. That is just annoying and even more annoying because some of them do about 8 sets and are there for 20-25 mins. In those situations you have to be assertive because you will be waiting all day. I always give people plenty of time and often just use something else but if you really need to use a certain piece just say something because some people can be on something for 30+ mins.

At nearly 60 I now have to take 90 seconds between sets to catch my breath as when I was younger I was able to recover in 45 seconds. Sucks getting old!

These days 1-3 minutes would be the average depending on the movement and the desired results. But i am in my 60's so i move slower. In my youth and was going heavy the rest time could be longer.

~30 sec for upper body
~60 sec for lower body

Giant sets, super sets, pre-exhaust; I would say zero rest, just the time it takes to move from one exercise to the other.

I’m impatient. The sooner I can get out of the weight room the better. (Various reasons.)

I do believe that for optimal results, it wouldn’t hurt if rest periods were longer on straight sets.
I can also see the validity of what Brock and bbxtreme posted.

Good topic.

Between 10 secs and 5 mins. It varies movement to movement and depending on what type of set it is. I am generally a fast trainer but for working sets I am making sure I have approx 2 mins rest. Between warm ups it could be 30 secs to 2 mins with about 1 min being average for the harder ones. As posted longer rest periods are generally better for hypertrophy although your training intensity will be more important. Anyone taking a set to full failure shouldn't be ready go go again for at least 2 minutes. Although a tri-cep extension failure set is much different to a hack squat failure set and often with arm training I do giant or super sets so have no rest between sets.

Even when resting between sets I don't think anyone would ever look at me and think he is wasting time because I am usually out of breath etc. Now if someone is just chatting or scrolling on their phone (or both) that is different and if you see that and need the equipment just tell them you are working in or at the very least ask how many sets do they have left. Some people are clueless but nearly everyone knows when they are messing about so if you ask nicely they will always start going faster or just let you use the equipment. There is an opposite to this which is just as annoying and that would be the impatient and rude people who think they have more right to equipment and they go up to people when they have just started then proceed to just stand there and stare hoping they rush.

To the OP 2-3 mins could be long or it could be short depending on details. I see guys all the time doing half arsed sets and not trying then spending 3 mins on their phone then doing the same again and again. That is just annoying and even more annoying because some of them do about 8 sets and are there for 20-25 mins. In those situations you have to be assertive because you will be waiting all day. I always give people plenty of time and often just use something else but if you really need to use a certain piece just say something because some people can be on something for 30+ mins.
Always enjoy your posts on training. Would be interested in hearing how you incorporate super sets for arms, no rest? I usually do tricep, bicep...catch my breath and repeat for 8 - 10 sets total (4-5 for bi and for tri). When you say no rest, you mean literally just keep going until all sets are done? Do you keep weight the same?

I typically do. But recently been playing around with varying my rep range in suoersets. Example use a heavy weight 8-10 for bb curl, then flip it and do tri extension. Then again. Then grab a lighter weight and repeat but higher reps. For the final super set, use something light and pump 30+ to failure.

So a series of super sets all same exercise but weight decreases and reps go up towards the end. Almost like drop sets within the super set series.

all og the empirical evidence says that the shorter rest periods you use, the more volume you need to make up for it. I like 2-3 minutes but I train with high intensity. I don't think you need to sit there and time the shit though, most people know around the 2-3 minute mark they are good and ready for another intense set. Outside of insanely long rest periods, it appears erring on the side og longer is better if you train with intensity. You need to be recovered in order to push again. I cannot see how anyone could take a pendulum squat set to failure, then shadowbox for 30 seconds, and be ready to go hard again. Anyone that does, or says they do is using a flaccid penis level of intensity.

Always enjoy your posts on training. Would be interested in hearing how you incorporate super sets for arms, no rest? I usually do tricep, bicep...catch my breath and repeat for 8 - 10 sets total (4-5 for bi and for tri). When you say no rest, you mean literally just keep going until all sets are done? Do you keep weight the same?

I typically do. But recently been playing around with varying my rep range in suoersets. Example use a heavy weight 8-10 for bb curl, then flip it and do tri extension. Then again. Then grab a lighter weight and repeat but higher reps. For the final super set, use something light and pump 30+ to failure.

So a series of super sets all same exercise but weight decreases and reps go up towards the end. Almost like drop sets within the super set series.

I have used many approaches over the years. If I had an arm day things would be set up differently and I also like to rotate tri-cep with bi-ceps. Many days I would probably super set both muscles and likely do 4 superset rotations (so 8 exercises in total). That could be a tri-cep pushdown supersetted with a cable bi-cep curl. Then a close grip bench supersetted with a seated barbell curl. Incline bench tri-cep extension supersetted with db hammer curls. Finished off with a super set of reverse curls then bar hangs. Something similar to that but constantly evolving and and just having fun with it.

Now I train push, pull legs so arms are separated. I was going to state no real thought goes into things but I suppose after experimenting with training for over 20 years and trying pretty much everything I don't really need to put a lot of thought into things. Although my arm training can be very on the spot so "no real thought goes into it" so there is no planned sequence or number of sets and reps in mind especially when doing giant sets. Guys sometimes get lost in the details and they should just train with no limitations. Often I am going from movement to movement and I notice some guy has just finished his set so I lift whatever weight he was lifting and go from there.

That being said most days I know all the movements I will be doing and a rough idea of how many working sets but I often go on feel so I add in drop sets or whatever method I make up on the spot. My chest/shoulders and back portion of my training days are more fixed. The arms portion often is and I usually go with something simple such as skull crushers and 1-2 pushdown variations. For bi-ceps usually some heavy seated barbell curls and db hammer curls and a quick pump set on a machine to finish.

Now on certain days I just go for it and I try to exhaust the muscle from a variety of angles and using different weights and well anything goes. I use as much rest as I need. That could be no rest at all (90% of the time) so just moving fast between stations but usually having the weight set up. Although for arms (especially bi-ceps) you are limited because of the actually function of the muscle itself. Yes you can do 100 different variations of curls but at the end of the day you are doing a very similar movement over and over and it's unneeded. So I can usually have my bi-cep training done in 5-15 mins and that includes a variety of bi-cep and wrist curls. It's definitely quality over quantity and exhausting the muscle fast and getting those effective reps without unnecessary volume.

Last time I trained tri-ceps I done a few standard sets then I just done a big giant set (unplanned) with no rest between any set and approx 7 different movements. I think I done cable pushdowns, overhead extensions, dips backwards using the assisted pull up machine, machine extensions, rope pushdowns and incline push ups. That was no rest and I was maxing out most of the machines. Although the previous tri-cep session was different because I supersetted heavy db extensions and close grip bench press and tried to do a 2nd rotation with no rest and it was a bit stupid because I barely managed 4 reps on the 2nd set of close grip bench. Obviously in that example you need a spotter because I struggled getting that last rep up. For machines anything can go and you can just go crazy and get many effective reps in during a very short time and the job is done.

I have used many approaches over the years. If I had an arm day things would be set up differently and I also like to rotate tri-cep with bi-ceps. Many days I would probably super set both muscles and likely do 4 superset rotations (so 8 exercises in total). That could be a tri-cep pushdown supersetted with a cable bi-cep curl. Then a close grip bench supersetted with a seated barbell curl. Incline bench tri-cep extension supersetted with db hammer curls. Finished off with a super set of reverse curls then bar hangs. Something similar to that but constantly evolving and and just having fun with it.

Now I train push, pull legs so arms are separated. I was going to state no real thought goes into things but I suppose after experimenting with training for over 20 years and trying pretty much everything I don't really need to put a lot of thought into things. Although my arm training can be very on the spot so "no real thought goes into it" so there is no planned sequence or number of sets and reps in mind especially when doing giant sets. Guys sometimes get lost in the details and they should just train with no limitations. Often I am going from movement to movement and I notice some guy has just finished his set so I lift whatever weight he was lifting and go from there.

That being said most days I know all the movements I will be doing and a rough idea of how many working sets but I often go on feel so I add in drop sets or whatever method I make up on the spot. My chest/shoulders and back portion of my training days are more fixed. The arms portion often is and I usually go with something simple such as skull crushers and 1-2 pushdown variations. For bi-ceps usually some heavy seated barbell curls and db hammer curls and a quick pump set on a machine to finish.

Now on certain days I just go for it and I try to exhaust the muscle from a variety of angles and using different weights and well anything goes. I use as much rest as I need. That could be no rest at all (90% of the time) so just moving fast between stations but usually having the weight set up. Although for arms (especially bi-ceps) you are limited because of the actually function of the muscle itself. Yes you can do 100 different variations of curls but at the end of the day you are doing a very similar movement over and over and it's unneeded. So I can usually have my bi-cep training done in 5-15 mins and that includes a variety of bi-cep and wrist curls. It's definitely quality over quantity and exhausting the muscle fast and getting those effective reps without unnecessary volume.

Last time I trained tri-ceps I done a few standard sets then I just done a big giant set (unplanned) with no rest between any set and approx 7 different movements. I think I done cable pushdowns, overhead extensions, dips backwards using the assisted pull up machine, machine extensions, rope pushdowns and incline push ups. That was no rest and I was maxing out most of the machines. Although the previous tri-cep session was different because I supersetted heavy db extensions and close grip bench press and tried to do a 2nd rotation with no rest and it was a bit stupid because I barely managed 4 reps on the 2nd set of close grip bench. Obviously in that example you need a spotter because I struggled getting that last rep up. For machines anything can go and you can just go crazy and get many effective reps in during a very short time and the job is done.
This is the type of training I'm moving towards and always remembered a post of yours describing it. For chest/back day, I have a fixed routine. Currently doing super sets of chins/dips as I wanted to incorporate some calesthenics for a while. Leg day is hams, quads, then traps heavy, finish with lunges.

Then arm and shoulder day, more like you described. Just get in effective reps I'm more worried about pumping them than adding weight or reps over time, liking it.

So

Sun..chest/back (structure)
Mon...legs/traps (heavy, structure)
Off/cardio
Off/cardio
Thursday....arms (1 set rp, then have fun with volume/intensity/pump)
Friday.... delts (same as arms)
Off/hiking

Ive been doing this 8 weeks energy is great don't feel overtrained despite alot more volume than I have done in the past on arms/delts.

Thinking of hitting them also on off days with 2 or so feeder/pump sets real quick to really push and see what happens.

I wear a watch to the gym and I time all my rest. I'm currently doing one minute between sets. If I'm trying to push big weights, that changes to 2-3minutes. Never over 3 minutes though or my mind drifts and I start going cold.

Highly individual.

Fouad would take 30 sec rests, high volume, not crazy poundage = pro physique
Dorian would rest 2-3 mins, lower volume, heavier poundage and intensity = pro physique.

Depending on what type of work I’m doing, progressive overload or higher volume work, my rest periods change. Alll of it works.

I think most don't know how long they rest. When they say 60 seconds it might be 4 minutes. I can say for myself if I do a higher rep squat to failure I need at least 15 mintues before another set or I have to strip off 50%. So at least 15 minutes for some movements, sometimes after a really hard set I go home! Lol. Maybe 1 set of leg curls and 2 sets of calves.
Any time I've seen someone do hard deadlifts for reps it seems they ALL rest at least 10 minutes or they pack it in for the day. On friday I did one set of smith squats, rested 15 minutes, did a set of deadlifts, rested 15 minutes and then a final set of squats again. I did finish with one set of leg curls and a few sets of calves. My training partner did 1 set of deadlifts and he was done, but I made him do some calves. He did warm up for over an hour for the max deadlift but it was at most 15 total reps very submaximal. "Never in my life have I felt this beat after a workout" he said lol - 45 years of training experience.

But this is just me and what I've seen, as they say "you can train hard or you can train long."

Highly individual.

Fouad would take 30 sec rests, high volume, not crazy poundage = pro physique
Dorian would rest 2-3 mins, lower volume, heavier poundage and intensity = pro physique.

Depending on what type of work I’m doing, progressive overload or higher volume work, my rest periods change. Alll of it works.
This

If im doing squats or deadlifts i go when im ready which could be a few mins

Everything else besides a few more select exercises i usually rest under 60 seconds

Never more than a minute..but I’m not doing bodybuilding.

I’m about to switch to bodybuilding style training though..I don’t like Alan thrall(spelling) but I recently watched a video of what he learned bodybuilding for 5 months..everything he mentioned was shit I was dealing with, so I’m switching

Staff online

• K1
    Blue-Eyed Devil

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
whodis?
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws