over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Reverse Grip Bench?

massmonster32

FOUNDING Member / Verified Customer / Kilo Klub
Kilo Klub Member
Registered
I have always noticed that the biggest and strongest guys and friends who do compete in power lifting contest do reverse grip bench. I only Incline now days but once in a while do a set of regular bench as a part of my set of inclines. But what does it do differently? Is it dangerous I have tried with 185lbs and man after a few reps its scary. MM

It hits the triceps directly and teaches you to bench properly, that is, keeping your elbows tucked up under the weight and keeping the weight over your upper abs/lower chest. The scary thing is the lift off/out and you should always have one. I find anything over 225 too much without a handout. You'll find you can really move the weight on this exercise once you get the groove and you are confident in your hand out and spotter.

SB

I did rev grip presses for my tris about a year ago, I though it was a pretty good exercise. It was kinda hard at first but when I got used to it I was able to handle the same weight as my regular bench. The movement mostly concentrates on the tri's and anteritor delts with little pec involvement so I can imagine how it could improve one's bench by allowing you to train those very important muscles more directly with a big compound movement. The problem is that the shoulder rotation during rev grip benches is significantly greater than during a regular bench press so the risk of injury to the rotator cuff mucles (particularily the subscapularis and the supraspinatus) is increased. I have a shoulder injury as is so I cant do them period, otherwise Id probably do them sparingly as a primary tricep movement or a max effort bench movement.

Gene,

You might want to check this link out and go to the infraspinatus weakness part. It suggests the very same movement for those with cuff problems done in the way a reverse grip is done. It stresses the placement of the elbow and if you look for commonality between the two exercises, both are lowered keeping the elbows tucked in and not at a 90 degree type of angle (which they talk about the 'elbow being behind the shoulder joint).

**broken link removed**

All of my shoulder problems left when I stopped benching with my elbows flared and then tucked them up with the bar lower on my chest towards my abs. My TP is the same way.

Let me know what you think,
SB

Thanks for the link, thats a great website, Ive used it countless times for reference before but never came upon that particular page.
My shoulder injury is not of the rotator cuff muscles though, I have (or possibly had) osteolysis and accompanying inflamation at the distal end of my clavical and resulting stress fractures in the same region. I may also have tears of the acromioclavicular clavicular ligament, but never got an MRI so its not comfirmed. The osteolysis was probably due to a calcium deficiency I didnt know I had at the time, since I am lactose intolerant I unknowingly ate mostly calcuim devoid foods which caused my body to resorb calcuim from the area which became brittle and fractured during a max attempt. Ive been supplementing with about 1200mg of calcium per day and took time off from heavy benching and switched to incline for a while...it feels alot better now.
Speaking of rotator cuff problems though, I accidentally slept on my right shoulder last night and now it hurts of a rotator cuff-like pain. Ive had RC problems in the past so the type of pain and symptoms are undeniable. What do you think I should do, I just started my new mesocycle today so Id like to get off to a strong start.

Hey thanks for the response guys I see now why. Gene for the RC injury I use deca and glucosamine hasnt hurt me in a long time though. When those two compounds didnt help I used some 99% dmso rubbed in the area with daily icing and it cleared it up in about 2 weeks luckily crossing fingers been pain free for about 2years. Now if I could only get the knee better. MM

Hey Gene its Dimethyl Sulfoxide I believe is the abreviation. But I also think it was used or is used to treat race horses with as well when they have swelling or injury. It also can be used as a carrier to transport stuff into the blood stream. So you have to be sure the area is very well clean before applying. Lastly I have also used the dmso with crushed up motrin800 tabs when my shoulder was real bad. MM

Just stick to movements that don't bother the shoulder. I am a long time sufferer of shoulder problems. You have to learn to listen to your body. While your recouperate, I'll work out a new Westside program for you.

PB

Staff online

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
astar
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner