over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Secret to back width? Rear delts!

Biggerp73

Verified Customer
Registered
Verified Customer
I've been thinking this for a few months. We all want to have a big wide upper back across the shoulders, giving us that nice V shape from the back when we are walking around in the grocery store, at the club, in the gym, on the beach, etc. Lots of us try to build this up through stuff that will give us a nice rear double biceps. But those muscles don't really show as much when we are standing with our arms relaxed down at our sides. For lats, it's more the rowing movements. But even there, the lats aren't the widest point across the upper back. The rear delts are - or should be/can be. For a real wide upper back across the shoulders, you gotta get big popping rear delts. I was reminded of this when I was scrolling Instagram this morning and saw this video...

I agree, also for the round shoulder look. When I first started lifting I didn't even train them for years, many programs actually don't even hit side or rear delts directly and just OH pressing for "shoulders."

I've been trying to bring mine up but not sure the best way to go about it in terms of sets, volume, frequency. I recently feel like I got some results by doing 15+ sets but burnt out quickly (was hitting rear and side with this volume). I assume we probably have guys here who don't even train them and just hit the with back, upright rows, etc and have great rear delts. Then others probably do bands first every workout to hit them. Definitely good to have a thread about what people do for this muscle as everyone presses and im sure most people bomb the side delt.

I agree, also for the round shoulder look. When I first started lifting I didn't even train them for years, many programs actually don't even hit side or rear delts directly and just OH pressing for "shoulders."

I've been trying to bring mine up but not sure the best way to go about it in terms of sets, volume, frequency. I recently feel like I got some results by doing 15+ sets but burnt out quickly (was hitting rear and side with this volume). I assume we probably have guys here who don't even train them and just hit the with back, upright rows, etc and have great rear delts. Then others probably do bands first every workout to hit them. Definitely good to have a thread about what people do for this muscle as everyone presses and im sure most people bomb the side delt.
John Defendis does 15-20 just for side delt’s with another 10-15 for rear

John Defendis does 15-20 just for side delt’s with another 10-15 for rear
That's definitely higher than I see people on forums doing but inline with what the "science guys" usually reccomded. Although I don't know if they count back sets in that total

Any compound pulling motion (rows/pull ups and downs) will hit them solidly. Extra work depends on priorities. I am partial to the MAG attachments in this case their wide (if you are taller especially) and medium supinate. Love them and that combo along with fully body pulling from the floor is really all I do for back these days.

My rear delts are pretty oke and I only do 1 set of facepulls for 30+ reps. Of course I do bent over rows and stuff as well

What back exercises are best at hitting the RD (and which are relatively the least effective)?

Id think the best would be compound movements, chins (not sure if narrow or wide, I assume not palms facing), horizontal rows?

The least effective would probably be lat pulldowns, any movement where your elbows are close to the body (tbar rows)?

I loves me some Cable Y Raises. Sets of 20... and the same movement but your hands end up at 9 o clock and 3 o clock,,, like a Crucifix....

using john meadows techniques really brought up my rear delts.
the "rear delt destroyers" and the high pulley rear delt flyes were just the ticket

I don’t like face pulls for rear delts because they irritate my arthritic shoulder and neck. I prefer reverse machine and/or cable flyes to make the rear delts pop and complement lat width.

the "rear delt destroyers" and the high pulley rear delt flyes were just the ticket
I've used his exercises and liked them. How did you program them into your split? Days per week and total sets per week?

i saw the biggest muscle gain on the rear delts when i was on his Creeping Death program.
but i do still incorporate those into my current regimen, which is Fortitude training (tier II).
ill throw the high pulley flyes in on the "pump" days(15-25 reps, 2 sets) and throw the rear delt destroyers in on a "loading" day when my shoulders feel beat up from pressing.

Any compound pulling motion (rows/pull ups and downs) will hit them solidly.
This hasn't been my experience. I've gone through periods of crushing heavy rows and building up my lats real thick while my rear delts remained sloped and underdeveloped because of a lack of direct work. The only time they really pop is when I hit then hard directly.

Yessss!!!... I've done these as well... Those heavy Destroyers were brutal.... I just like high volume on rears... i go heavier on sides and fronts

This hasn't been my experience. I've gone through periods of crushing heavy rows and building up my lats real thick while my rear delts remained sloped and underdeveloped because of a lack of direct work. The only time they really pop is when I hit then hard directly.
2nd part of that was extra work depends on priorities. Genetics for aesthetics is in there as well if you care about bodybuilding. For proper vertical and horizontal pulling rear delts simply must do their part (body is a unit and muscle groups work in systems which is why compounds are so good and all around stimulative as system can be loaded heavy). If they don't look up to par even though they perform up to par it's how you are built so direct work matters.

For me, I need to do leg extensions. Helps balance my quad strength and prevent chronic pulls/tears of VMO. Just how I'm built and sadly back squats, front squats, wearing OL shoes or Chucks, pulling sumo or conventional, high or low bar... All don't get it done quite enough. A few preventative sets once a week and solved. Functional example as opposed to aesthetic but same deal.

1656711513098.png doing this machine with nearly straight arms and simply pushing back on the pads with my elbows has easily been the best and most productive exercise I've done for rear delts. I have a problem/weakness on my right side when doing laterals for both the rear delts and medial delts. During the concentric portion of the rep, I cannot contract medial or rear delt without shrugging. Happens for both medial and posterior delt. That shoulder is way smaller too. Pretty sure there is some scar tissue from an old injury playing tricks. Doesn't happen on this machine though.

In order to look as wide as possible you need to maximize multiple areas including rear/side delts and lats etc whilst keeping your waist small. Often I see guys putting on size on those key areas but due to neglecting other areas combined with eating a subpar diet (and their genetics) for every inch they put on in the right areas they add 2-3 onto their waist so it throws everything off. The best thing the majority of lifters could do to appear wider is tighten up their waist because it makes a huge difference. Obviously this is when topless but in clothes you simply need to maximize back width and delt growth whilst keeping your waist controlled to appear as wide as possible. Hammer your side laterals (heavy and lighter weight), rows (various grips) and rear delt flyes for ultimate wideness.

In order to look as wide as possible you need to maximize multiple areas including rear/side delts and lats etc whilst keeping your waist small. Often I see guys putting on size on those key areas but due to neglecting other areas combined with eating a subpar diet (and their genetics) for every inch they put on in the right areas they add 2-3 onto their waist so it throws everything off. The best thing the majority of lifters could do to appear wider is tighten up their waist because it makes a huge difference. Obviously this is when topless but in clothes you simply need to maximize back width and delt growth whilst keeping your waist controlled to appear as wide as possible. Hammer your side laterals (heavy and lighter weight), rows (various grips) and rear delt flyes for ultimate wideness.
I agree with this. I look much "freakier" at 181 (which requires me to eat a measley 2200 calories) vs 195-200 where I feel stronger, fuller, bigger overall, and I feel comfortable.

But at 180-183 I can have a 32 inch waist, where at 200 I'm looking at 35-36 so I'm bigger but look worse even though I'm probably around 11%

The double edged sword, to bring up those rear and side delts I need to eat a surplus and push the scale. The downside of not having a naturally small waist/narrow hips.

I agree with this. I look much "freakier" at 181 (which requires me to eat a measley 2200 calories) vs 195-200 where I feel stronger, fuller, bigger overall, and I feel comfortable.

But at 180-183 I can have a 32 inch waist, where at 200 I'm looking at 35-36 so I'm bigger but look worse even though I'm probably around 11%

The double edged sword, to bring up those rear and side delts I need to eat a surplus and push the scale. The downside of not having a naturally small waist/narrow hips.

I think everyone is the same but due to 101 factors (genetics, diet, drug usage, illness etc) things start to worsen for everyone at different weights/development. Most aren't eating the right foods for them and doing everything in their power to keep their waist tight but like every body part genetics in regards to "waist" and digestion vary massively person to person. Some people are just unlucky and they can't get away with what others can so the moment they start to push calories their waists grow faster than anything else. Others can regularly have massive cheat days full of shitty foods and they maintain a relatively small waist even when 250+.

Everyone has a certain weight/size and when they start pushing pass it they only start looking worse (although everyone's definition of what looks best is different). Members can probably agree that most (if not all) of the best bodybuilders didn't look their best at their highest bodyweight. Skeletal structure (hip width etc) can massively effect your look as well. The same can be said for people wanting to look as wide as possible because if your clavicle and scapula bones are very long you are going to look much wider. I suppose that's one (the only one :eek:) area you could state I have good genetics but the fact my hips are just as wide sort of cancels it out :D

I agree. Aside from your structure, rear delays are the only muscle that will add to width (atleast the illusion.) The problem I have is that most guys have shit lats or very little development there at all, combine that with over developed rear delts and you will look really odd.

I think back as a whole is the way to go which sounds obvious and ofcourse a tight waist. Having a good set of lats to prop you up, does wonders. I think working in a vertical plane would generally benefit narrow guys. Lots of pull ups

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131