over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

So does fat make you fat?

cachexic

Registered
Setting aside the fact that a gram of fat has over twice the calories of a gram of protein or carbohydrates, does it have a greater chance to be stored as body fat?

For a long time I thought the consensus was no. In fact, since I hate the way my body responds to lots of carbohydrates, I usually have quite a bit of fat in my diet. Is this the wrong way to go if I want to stay lean? Or does it simply vary from person to person?

I'm starting to think I've been fucking myself this whole time.

This question is not really as straightforward as "yes/no". Fat, carbohydrates, even protein can make you fat when eaten in excess or timed incorrectly. Everybody needs healthy fats in their diet, and there is no reason to think you can't stay lean while still eating them. I suggest you start doing some reading. There is a lot more information involved here than can really be covered in one thread. When used correctly, no, fat does not make you fat.

Seeing as how I have had the greatest dieting success with a VLCD (very low carb diet) with fairly high levels of fat (around 15-20g per meal), I am going to have to say, in short, no. However, I do agree that combining fat with a high to moderate amount of carbs in the same meal, especially less complex carbs, will contribute to an increase in bodyfat, again from experience. I think the benefit of the fats in any diet doesn't necessarily come from the fact that they 'don't make you fat,' but that their health benefits are prolific. Additionally, although I can offer little more reason than anecdotal evidence, the body prefers fats as an energy system as opposed to carbs.

I believe fat get digested just like everything else.
So ! Fat don't necessarily turn in to body fat.

a pount of fat consumed isn't gonna turn into a pound of body fat.

well that's a good question let's talk about carbs and fat.

carbs are your bodies #1 source for energy. if carbs aren't present it uses fat (for the most part) which is why keto diets are so successful at using stored BF. now if both carbs and fat are present and are in high doses (grams) then of course fat will be stored as fat, you body doesn't need it for energy, so what does it do? it stores it for future use. your body does not care if you want to lose fat and look lean it cares about one thing and one thing only....keeping your ass alive. that's it's job. make sure everything is running smoothly. now your body will use some fats that are ingested to function but anything after that.....deposited

Fats can contiribute to adipogenesis. Overall caloric balance, the glycemic index and load of the carbohydrates, the amount of fiber, protein etc have an effect as well.

Study the different types of fat and this may help you begin to understand how they are metabolized in the big picture.

Fat does not make you fat...a surplus of calories makes you fat.

You can use fat to lose fat, however, if you do things correctly by adding EFAs to protein you would accomplish a rise in Glucagon levels which increases fat release from adipocytes. Protein with EFAs (without carbs, or with glycerol) replenish glycogen stores and have a negative impact on the insulin to glucagon balance. THIS IS WHY LBAs ARE SO AWESOME!

Its a fine balance, however, just keep it simple and eat clean, balanced meals.

Mmm. I think I'm doing it right, then. I shouldn't second guess myself; my results have been great these past few months. That's all that matters.

Yeah. I got to this condition I'm in eating plenty of fat and low carb. I've never been in better shape in my entire life, never been this lean, never seen my abs like this.

I don't know why I suddenly think I'm not doing things right. Makes no sense rofl. I just wanna look like some of the guy's on here with insane conditioning. I didn't know if that was possible with a lot of fat.

Last edited:
Backlinks

Welcome to Lovecore Designs™

Lovecore Designs™ **broken link removed** is a place to get professionally edited photos, graphic designs and even custom designed websites, whether for personal or business use. If you are a small business or an individual looking to establish your online presence, you are definitely in the right place. We offer premium designs at very affordable prices and can also be hired for customization or consulting.

**broken link removed**

Yeah. I got to this condition I'm in eating plenty of fat and low carb. I've never been in better shape in my entire life, never been this lean, never seen my abs like this.

I don't know why I suddenly think I'm not doing things right. Makes no sense rofl. I just wanna look like some of the guy's on here with insane conditioning. I didn't know if that was possible with a lot of fat.

What is a lot of fat to you? For myself, a lot of fat is when my definition starts to blur. It's fairly simple. The same goes for the carb intake on the weekends.

Mmm. I think I'm doing it right, then. I shouldn't second guess myself; my results have been great these past few months. That's all that matters.
If your seeing good results...stick with it...It will only get better...sometimes change is not good, especially if things are working!

Basically what this study is saying is that as more and more carbs are converted to glucose, theres a glucose threshold thats reached in the blood , that causes the secretion of a protien that causes the body to convert the glucose into body fat. Blood fat will also be stored when this storage protien is triggered, otherwise it will not, it will float around in the blood as a triglyceride until the body burns it as fuel, so keeping your blood sugar low, with exercise, avoiding carbs, does keep you from converting fat to bodyfat.

Makes sense as diabetics, even on low cal diets, gain weight, and their #1 symptom is a high blood glucose level. So theyre always storing, even when almost starving if their blood sugar levels are high. The best diabetic diet is protein fat green veggies, no carbs.

Protein Triggers Carbohydrate Conversion To Body Fat

A biochemistry team from the Department of Veterans Affairs and UT Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas has identified a glucose-sensitive protein that translates excessively high-carbohydrate intake into body fat, especially when combined with a sedentary lifestyle.
"Once upon a time, we thought hormones directed this long-term control of metabolism. Turns out, diet also plays a major role," said Dr. Kosaku "Ko" Uyeda, a UT Southwestern professor of biochemistry and research career scientist at the Dallas Veterans Affairs Medical Center.

Uyeda and his UT Southwestern colleagues reported in today's issue of the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences that they isolated the glucose-sensitive protein, dubbed the carbohydrate response element-binding protein (ChREBP), that triggers the long-term process of transforming excess dietary carbohydrates into fat.

They used rat livers in their study, but the results are believed to reflect the human body's functions.

When people eat desserts, pasta, potatoes or other sugar- and starch-laden foods beyond the body's energy and nutritional needs, these carbohydrates become a flood of glucose, and the liver converts the surplus glucose to fat, Uyeda said.

At some point, the glucose reaches a level that signals the ChRE-binding protein to start a chain-reaction along a series of genes that, in turn, activate the synthesis of a dozen enzymes that catalyze the transformation of the excess glucose into fat to be stored in the body, he said.

"Eventually, from this line of ongoing research, it should be feasible to design a drug that will inhibit the protein's response to excess glucose and may enable us to eat all the carbohydrates we want, without getting fat," Uyeda said.

"The drug would be able to slow the conversion of carbohydrates to fat, perhaps matching the body's needs. Hopefully, the body would be able to excrete or burn the excess glucose."

Identifying the protein itself was a breakthrough, but Uyeda said the lab work also revealed how this protein factor binds to a specific gene's DNA and how hormones and glucose control the gene's biological activity.

"Several proteins bind to the glucose-response site in the DNA. However, all but one appear to have no direct response to glucose," he said. "The newly identified protein appears to be the main factor. It may be the universal factor in activating other genes to respond to the glucose signal."

Uyeda and his team worked continuous laboratory shifts for about four years to track down, isolate, identify and confirm this specialized, but illusive, protein from among many similar proteins and enzymes that operate in the liver. Three scientists at San Francisco-based Genentech also assisted on the project.

After isolating the protein in rats' livers, the researchers turned to Genentech to enlist one of only two mass-spectrometer labs in the nation that could analyze the protein substances at microscopic levels, Uyeda said. His team then had to run a number of tests on the protein in the liver cells to confirm its glucose-driven response at the biochemical and genetic levels, he said.

The study is an ongoing part of Uyeda's work of more than 30 years. His current goal is to explain how the body transforms and stores carbohydrates as fat.

Other UT Southwestern colleagues in the project were biochemists Drs. Hiromi Yamashita, Makoto Takenoshita and Masaharu Sakurai, all of whom have returned to Japan, and Richard Bruick, a current research fellow in biochemistry.

The VA and the National Institutes of Health funded the study. - By Worth Wren, Jr.

Fat does not make you fat...a surplus of calories makes you fat.

You can use fat to lose fat, however, if you do things correctly by adding EFAs to protein you would accomplish a rise in Glucagon levels which increases fat release from adipocytes. Protein with EFAs (without carbs, or with glycerol) replenish glycogen stores and have a negative impact on the insulin to glucagon balance. THIS IS WHY LBAs ARE SO AWESOME!

Its a fine balance, however, just keep it simple and eat clean, balanced meals.

x2

BY THE WAY

CARBOHYDRATES ARE NOT ESSENTIAL

PROTEIN AND FAT IS.

x2

BY THE WAY

CARBOHYDRATES ARE NOT ESSENTIAL

PROTEIN AND FAT IS.

Awesome! It's nice to know that someone else 'gets it'. All these bodybuilders that bitch about low carb diets making them feel constantly weak haven't taken their body to the absolute negative carb limit long enough to reap the incredible energy rewards that are available.

A low fat diet is pure madness...

The epedemic of health problems are a Result of Overconsommation of SUGAR in any type of forms.

A low fat diet is pure madness...

The epedemic of health problems are a Result of Overconsommation of SUGAR in any type of forms.

Agreed - and if you understand the value of fat soluble vitamins on your endocrine system (need to consume fat with them), the needs of saturated fat by cell membranes etc, than you can see why low fat is not good long-term.

JM

Staff online

• rAJJIN
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
GFly
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner