over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Stubborn Leg growth

sean1970ss

Registered
Newbies
I am happy with my upper body, lean, muscular still always refining. I just do not have wheels, have definition and serration but how can I grow them more. I do not do squats to hard on my lower back after moving furniture for 35 years. I have been doing a lot angles and high reps. I realize it is probably related to genetics but really want to gain some size I am realistic any suggestions?

That’s gonna be tough if I’m guessing your age is 18+35, = 53. The time to add serious mass has past. Heavy ass hack squats will build mass if squatting bothers your lower back. Hit em till you fail and the sled hits the safety stops!

Cage

That’s gonna be tough if I’m guessing your age is 18+35, = 53. The time to add serious mass has past. Heavy ass hack squats will build mass if squatting bothers your lower back. Hit em till you fail and the sled hits the safety stops!

Cage
Close 52! LOL I have been doing high reps till failure maybe its my patience to. The different angels of the muscle group seem to be helping. I just never had big legs and my gear usage has never been huge either. I have been doing hack squats and I stack a lot of weight vs squats. Thank you Cage

how many days a week do you train legs? For how long? How many exercises? How many reps?

Cage
Cage, I am in the same boat and sinking.

Just got my lower back (arthritic) in good shape Wednesday. Felt so good thought I would try the new hack squat machine. No dice. About killed my back.

I can do leg presses and a carefully selected leg ‘sled’ recumbent machine. And of course leg extensions. Even then, with all the magic I know, any meaningful growth is for me a fantasy. I am happy just keeping the status quo. Never had big legs (well, maybe for a girl) and never will. Defined, vascular, some separation, yes. But size, that ship has sailed.

My opinion.

I've found that the key to triggering leg growth is unbelievable discomfort and pain (in the muscle, not the knee/ back). You must be willing to go to a dark place of intense discomfort. Rep range does not matter. You can get there more efficiently with lower reps (6-10 rep range), but if the supporting joints can't handle that type of load, you can use lower weight and higher reps. The key is to go to absolute MUSCULAR failure no matter the weight. This is different than mental failure.
I'm talking about nausea and disorientation type intensity. Once I accepted and came to terms with this, my legs exploded.
Of course not everyone will need to do this. But if your legs are stubborn like mine, you'll need to accept this.

I've found that the key to triggering leg growth is unbelievable discomfort and pain (in the muscle, not the knee/ back). You must be willing to go to a dark place of intense discomfort. Rep range does not matter. You can get there more efficiently with lower reps (6-10 rep range), but if the supporting joints can't handle that type of load, you can use lower weight and higher reps. The key is to go to absolute MUSCULAR failure no matter the weight. This is different than mental failure.
I'm talking about nausea and disorientation type intensity. Once I accepted and came to terms with this, my legs exploded.
Of course not everyone will need to do this. But if your legs are stubborn like mine, you'll need to accept this.
Well said. The end of each set should hurt it burns so bad. When u think you’re done, do 3-5 more reps. I’d it’s not hard to walk after the workout then u didn’t go hard enough.

I am happy with my upper body, lean, muscular still always refining. I just do not have wheels, have definition and serration but how can I grow them more. I do not do squats to hard on my lower back after moving furniture for 35 years. I have been doing a lot angles and high reps. I realize it is probably related to genetics but really want to gain some size I am realistic any suggestions?

In addition to what others have said, it may require you to put on weight. There are many older, lean men who want to add mass to {insert large body part like back or legs} and they are going to have to add weight to accomplish this. I'm not suggesting a mega blast or eating 2,000 calories over maintenance but I am suggesting you may have to add some overall weight if you really want to say add a half inch or inch to your legs.

Agreed. I have gotten back to rest pausing leg work, as I became lax with intensity while trying the 2-3 “working sets” for 3 or so exercises for quads and 2-3 for hams.

my best growth has been when most of the leg session, I am almost sick to my stomach and I have anxiety about every set.

But some people do very well with RPE 7-8 higher volume work. I didn’t.

I appreciate the input guys I will go heavier and basically murder them. Helps me a lot and I can set goals. Is 2 times a week sufficient?

Have you ever tried pre exhaust?
I would recommend doing leg extensions them immediately go to leg press and then hack Squats. Also I really have been digging one leg leg presses. BP was getting high from heavy deep leg presses so I cut the weight in half and it really destroys the quads.
I actually do 21s 7 slow partials at the top then 7 deep full reps and then 7 partials bottoms up.
Working really well. I am close to your age and in men our legs start to lose mass. For me it's been ouster and inner quads. I miss the days of heavy Squats and leg presses but got to slow down sometime.

I appreciate the input guys I will go heavier and basically murder them. Helps me a lot and I can set goals. Is 2 times a week sufficient?
Yes, but make sure you’re recovering properly! I did this very thing Mon/Thur. and split light/heavy.

Monday, I’d do high rep-lower weights for legs, and Thursday would be heavy as I could handle to complete failure. I found I needed to increase my carb intake to keep up my intensity after awhile.

Cage

Yes, but make sure you’re recovering properly! I did this very thing Mon/Thur. and split light/heavy.

Monday, I’d do high rep-lower weights for legs, and Thursday would be heavy as I could handle to complete failure. I found I needed to increase my carb intake to keep up my intensity after awhile.

Cage
Got IT! I just did legs yesterday so will do Tuesday heavy sets. I will keep a journal and let you know how I progress! Sean

Great advice here, I'll add the legs are designed to take a besting and still be used. As we get older we sit a lot, stand more take some long walks no hard cardio though and hit them hard twice a week.

I trained quads with presses and squats and all the usuals. But hams had there own day for optimal leg size.

What I would suggest for quads, is getting them into a stretched position with resistance. Start off with sissy squats (bodyweight only) at the end of your quad workout. Slow, controlled, sissy squats are the most underrated quad movement

Try incorporating sissy squats to really thrash those quads. I’d do the sissies first as you can’t do them safely with trashed legs.

(y)

I wish my gym had a sissy squat machine. Used one at the first gym I belong to
but that was the last time I saw such a machine . . . like 50+ years ago. The new
ones are much better built and comfortable. Thinking our loud here; it are such
a simple design, one could probably build one out of wood for home use for little
scratch.

For some people with low back issues, arthritis (me), herniated disks, etc., it is a very
effective option. Thanks for mentioning.

For Sissy squats - is the conversation using one of those stands? Or the old school type ala Platz?

I put this type of "sissys" into my leg day, done at the end, 4 weeks ago.

I do tend to lay back a bit more with my torso, like Platz's version.

Funny thing is, my knees feel better....

For Sissy squats - is the conversation using one of those stands? Or the old school type ala Platz?

I put this type of "sissys" into my leg day, done at the end, 4 weeks ago.

I do tend to lay back a bit more with my torso, like Platz's version.

Funny thing is, my knees feel better....
I will post up Gironda style sissy squats.

Old school performed with zero equipment. Interesting, multiple movement exercise.

Hi did not have a sissy squat piece of equipment when I was there, at least I never saw one.

Vince had a thing against bb squats. He did have a very crude version of a smith machine and hack squat machine if memory serves.

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
whodis?
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws
Prowrist straps store banner
infinity
FLASHING-BOTTOM-BANNER-210x131