over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Study: Poor Diet Linked To 1 in 5 Deaths Globally

danieltx

Kilo Klub Member
Verified Customer
I'm sure this isn't surprising to most of us but it's still interesting to see. Cadiovascular disease was the biggest cause of death from poor diets.

https://news.yahoo.com/poor-diet-linked-1-5-deaths-globally-study-051206169.html

One in five deaths globally are linked to poor diet, experts said Thursday, warning that overconsumption of sugar, salt and meat was killing millions of people every year.

The United Nations estimates that nearly a billion people worldwide are malnourished, while nearly two billion are "overnourished".

But the latest study on global diet trends, published in The Lancet, showed that in nearly every one of the 195 countries surveyed, people were also eating too much of the wrong types of food -- and consuming worryingly low levels of healthier produce.

For example, the world on average consumes more than ten times the recommended amount of sugar-sweetened beverages, and 86 percent more sodium per person than is considered safe.

The study, which examined consumption and disease trends between 1990-2017, also cautioned that too many people were eating far too few whole grains, fruit, nuts and seeds to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

Of the 11 million deaths attributed to poor diet, by far the largest killer was cardiovascular disease, which is often caused or worsened by obesity.

"This study affirms what many have thought for several years -- that poor diet is responsible for more deaths than any other risk factor in the world," said study author Christopher Murray, director of the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation at the University of Washington.

"Our assessment suggests the leading dietary risk factors are high intake of sodium, or low intake of health foods."

The report highlighted large variation in diet-related deaths between nations, with the highest-risk country Uzbekistan having ten times the food-based mortality rate of the lowest-risk, Israel.

- EAT-Lancet report -
In January, a consortium of three dozen researchers called for a dramatic shift in the way the world eats.

The EAT-Lancet report said that the global population must eat roughly half as much red meat and sugar, and twice as many vegetables, fruits and nuts in order to avert a worldwide obesity epidemic and avoid "catastrophic" climate change.

Authors of Thursday's study noted that economic inequality was a factor in poor dietary choices in many countries.

It found that on average, reaching the "five-a-day" fruit and vegetable servings advocated by doctors cost just two percent of household income in rich nations, but more than a half of household income in poorer ones.

"This study gives us good evidence of what to target to improve diets, and therefore health, at the global and national level," said Oyinlola Oyebode, Associate Professor at Warwick Medical School, who was not involved in the research.

"The lack of fruit, vegetables and whole grains in diets across the world are very important -- but the other dietary factor highlighted by this study is the high intake of sodium."

Salt and red meat? That study is trash.

Fruits and grains are not as healthy in sedentary populations. But they are very lucrative for vegan lobbies in the food industry.:rolleyes:

Salt and red meat? That study is trash.

Fruits and grains are not as healthy in sedentary populations. But they are very lucrative for vegan lobbies in the food industry.:rolleyes:

I think we all know that red meat in this context refers to processed things like bacon, not a good quality steak. And higher sodium intake is going to be a problem if water intake isn't there to balance it.

I totally agree with you on fruits and grains not being as healthy in sedentary populations.

I think we all know that red meat in this context refers to processed things like bacon, not a good quality steak. And higher sodium intake is going to be a problem if water intake isn't there to balance it.

I totally agree with you on fruits and grains not being as healthy in sedentary populations.

100% agree!

its a fact the obesity rates rise in countries that become more developed and the population gets higher incomes.
higher income homes go from rice to red meat.
red meat is calorie dense and has bad fats.
which leads to calorie excess, and fat gain, and poor health.
just facts, man.
not altetnative facts trump voters like to believe.

its a fact the obesity rates rise in countries that become more developed and the population gets higher incomes.
just facts, man.

Where do you get that meat has bad fats and is bad for health?? Pretty sure that info is based on the old studies where the FDA paid doctors to say that back in the 40’s-50’s... There have been quite a few recent studies showing that meats from wild/natural sources doesn’t cause any negative health issues.. It was even debated on JRE Podcast a few months ago and the only studies about meat and bad health were the old, false ones..

Curious what your sources are..

I will agree that excess calories of anything though will cause bad health eventually...

Last edited:
Damn! I almost dropped my bag of Cheetos when I read this......

ONLY 1 in 5?

That’s what surprises me, I should eat more Mickey D’s I like my odds now....

They probably only mentioned meat, salt and sugar because that's what most Western obese people appear to mostly be overconsuming their calories on. There's nothing inherently wrong with either of the three. I'd wish they'd put more emphasis on overall calories though because what are the obese who hear this going to do? (not that most actually care enough probably) They'll just replace those three for other excess calories and end up in the same alley. More emphasis needs to be put on teaching people about the calorie equation imo.

They probably only mentioned meat, salt and sugar because that's what most Western obese people appear to mostly be overconsuming their calories on. There's nothing inherently wrong with either of the three. I'd wish they'd put more emphasis on overall calories though because what are the obese who hear this going to do? (not that most actually care enough probably) They'll just replace those three for other excess calories and end up in the same alley. More emphasis needs to be put on teaching people about the calorie equation imo.

It's not just the calories, it's the quality of the calories. Also lifting weights is essential, your metabolism is faster, allowing you to eat more and still stay lean.

But certainly, change habits is very hard when you have been eating for decades in a certain way, most want a pill and not strive or have discipline to exercise. Guess what, it's not working. That is why knowledge and education about exercise and nutrition at an early age is so important.

Last edited:
i think that number is way off but also they are not taking into account things like altzhiemers and all sorts of cns things that are probably linked to diet/life style.

much money to be made making ppl fat and sick then giving them drugs to cover up the side effects of all the improper living. lol

just facts, man.

1980s called. They would like you to stop eating red meat and fat and instead eat sugar and no fat.

2019 called, thanks 1980s for creating this large diabetic fat ass culture full of heart disease

The problem isn't any one particular variable.....Whether it be salt, fat, sugar etc....

Humans love to point their fingers and blame specific things

But the fact of the matter is we need salt, fat and sugar to survive

The whole issue here is balance and moderation, simple as that. You eat what you need to eat then you stop and don't over-consume. Over consumption is the number one problem today causing disease.

Let me give an example, how about water? We all need water to survive, we would all die in 3 days or less without water. So its essential for life. However, you can overdose on water and die from too much of it. Just like too much of anything is bad. Make sense?

The problem isn't any one particular variable.....Whether it be salt, fat, sugar etc....

The whole issue here is balance and moderation, simple as that. You eat what you need to eat then you stop and don't over-consume. Over consumption is the number one problem today causing disease.

Let me give an example, how about water? We all need water to survive, we would all die in 3 days or less without water. So its essential for life. However, you can overdose on water and die from too much of it. Just like too much of anything is bad. Make sense?

I’ll agree and disagree on some things, while you’re right the body needs sugar or glucose rather, it definitely depends where this is coming from.. Sugar from bananas, apples, berries and fruits in general are WAAAAAYYYYY different than sugar from ice cream and sodas.. As well as carbs in general, carbs from sweet potatoes and oats and veggies etc are way different than the carbs in majority of processed foods...

And as for the water thing, yes also, but you’d have to drink an ungodly amount of water in a short amount of time for that to happen...

I’d be willing to bet more people in the US consume more ice cream than drink water lol considering not only are we the most obese country in the world but also the #1 consumer of ice cream lol...

I’d bet that 1 in 5 number is considerably raised if it was analyzing the US alone..

I’ll agree and disagree on some things, while you’re right the body needs sugar or glucose rather, it definitely depends where this is coming from.. Sugar from bananas, apples, berries and fruits in general are WAAAAAYYYYY different than sugar from ice cream and sodas.. As well as carbs in general, carbs from sweet potatoes and oats and veggies etc are way different than the carbs in majority of processed foods...

And as for the water thing, yes also, but you’d have to drink an ungodly amount of water in a short amount of time for that to happen...

I’d be willing to bet more people in the US consume more ice cream than drink water lol considering not only are we the most obese country in the world but also the #1 consumer of ice cream lol...

I’d bet that 1 in 5 number is considerably raised if it was analyzing the US alone..

Aww yes, the high glycemic carbs, spiking insulin, reducing insulin sensitivity and possibly causing type 2 diabetes somewhere down the line if consistent intake is happening

I completely agree, I just didn't want to complicate things. The water example was a very general example. When it comes to posting information on here I do my best to simplify everything for people and put it into layman's terms so everybody reading will understand and hopefully benefit from the information.

I agree, staying away from things like soda, sweets and anything that will dramatically spike insulin is huge for overall health. There's enough studies that show us this stuff is no good, period.

But people should not be afraid of "fat" or "carbs" etc. 15-20% of anybody's diet should be fat in order for the human body to function at its best. Animal fats? Not so much....Healthy fats....absolutely, eat all of it up, we all need it.

Now.....If we take another example, perhaps a mcdonalds double quarter pounder we can see how fucked things really are:

Total Fat 45g 69%
Sat. Fat 21g 105%
Trans Fat 2.5g
Sodium 1290mg 54%

The fat and sodium content alone is scary, look at the daily value % ....and people every day are ignorantly consuming this stuff not knowing that they are literally killing themselves slowly

Funny thing is we still need allot of sodium, especially if we're vigourously exercising. I intentianally consume more sodium if I have a big workout coming up or I'm cramping from a big workout. We do need it. We need all this stuff pretty much. We just need to fucking balance it better......

Like most of us already knew on here. Eat clean, hit your macros correctly, keep a balanced diet, drink plenty of water (don't OD lol) , stay at a healthy body weight and exercise.

^difficult for most people in this country to do with their busy lifestyle and all of these quick, cheap and easy ways to consume food on the go since most people think they don't have time for anything else, they're ignorant about diet and they think they don't have time to prepare their own food

And yes, if 60% of the people are obese in the US then its more like 3 out of 5 people lol....

Last edited:
I have a guy that works for me that has consistently gained fat over course of last 5 years i have known him.
i have seen what he orders for dinner. on a regular basis:

Triple cheeseburger No Veggies
Mozzerella Sticks (6 count)
Large Coke
Slice of Cheesecake

And he complains about being fat!?! I dont understand it at all. just disgusting to me. i cant even remember the last time i ate out and ordered dessert after. like not even on a birthday dinner would i do that. i couldnt. No way i could eat a triple cheeseburger either.

my point being, if a guy consistently eats like that^ then hell yes its gonna kill him. it has morphed his body in just 5 years. if he looks that shitty on the outside i imagine inside is same or worse:eek:
-F2S

Agreed!

I have a guy that works for me that has consistently gained fat over course of last 5 years i have known him.
i have seen what he orders for dinner. on a regular basis:

Triple cheeseburger No Veggies
Mozzerella Sticks (6 count)
Large Coke
Slice of Cheesecake

And he complains about being fat!?! I dont understand it at all. just disgusting to me. i cant even remember the last time i ate out and ordered dessert after. like not even on a birthday dinner would i do that. i couldnt. No way i could eat a triple cheeseburger either.

my point being, if a guy consistently eats like that^ then hell yes its gonna kill him. it has morphed his body in just 5 years. if he looks that shitty on the outside i imagine inside is same or worse:eek:
-F2S

The finishing touch is leaving the veggies out of the cheeseburger. He literally doesn't want anything to do with health haha

Staff online

• pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
calebjmb
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws