over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Thoughts on gym and gym culture

KBrown

Banned
***Thoughts on Gyms, Culture, and Training***

The Gym… Sometimes it’s a confusing place. Is it that area you can let your inner demons out and unleash; Is it the “Compound,” and the “training ground” or is it a place where you have to be all prim and proper. Not too loud, not too aggressive, cage your demons and be cool, calm and collected?

There is a reason I can’t train at ‘fitworks,’ LA, or god forbid planet fitness. These places are entirely unmotivating, and do not fit my lifting personality. That’s right, lifting personality. We all have one… It’s that person in the gym, that person that in some way shape or form differs from you in the work place or you with your friends, or really anywhere else.

Every gym has its own particular culture and with it expectations. Fit the mold son! Fit the mold! That culture may change as the gym grows, such things are expected. But as a lifter your first responsibility is to find that environment and culture where you can thrive. Remember it’s the gym; you are there to accomplish your goals and let your issues be unleashed. Finding an environment conducive to that is crucial for success in accomplishing those goals. How can you really expect to thrive in an environment that isn’t encouraging you to do so? That jokes, makes light of, or discourages the very things that motivate you to push harder.

Some examples of gym culture differences can be quite blatant; some gyms have guys running around with their shirts off, mirrors all over the place… no big deal. Others, no mirrors, bodies mostly covered, and it’s almost taboo to take that shirt off. Don’t even get caught taking a shirtless pic son, don’t even! Some gyms are loud, people yelling… grunting, and backs being smacked before heavy lifts. Others, calm and serene… the quite before the storm. Two totally different gym environments and cultures. Where do you fit in, and does it even matter?

Whether those environmental details matter is entirely up to you… how much of your lifting is an external expression or internal. Me personally the difference is huge and I am just an asshole in the gym. I am loud, I cuss, I take my fuckin’ shirt off, I sniff my Ammonia, and I grunt to force out that last rep, I am snappy and when I am all geared up and ready to roar I am READY. Let me under that bar and do battle. In the words of my first coach/mentor I am a “knuckle head.” Yes… yes I am.
The more aggressive, amped, and psychotic I am on a max effort day is directly related to my performance. The more calm and serene I am translates to passivity under the bar, this guy doesn’t smash PRs by being passive. No by being aggressive and psychotic I can do my first bench workout in 2 months after surgery on both biceps and nail 405x2 and my 2nd week training I can nail 405 for 2 sets of 4 reps… Grunting, yelling… being a ‘douche.’

Performance and emotion are related. I can go to the gym one day calm and serene and get almost buried under a 545lbs squat, and come in a week later ready to rumble, psycho on 100 and smash 570lbs… Which do you want? 545lbs calm and feeling like a flower on a cool summer day, or an aggressive caged animal READY… 570lbs SMASH.

In the environment I started lifting in aggression was encouraged, you are there to smash weights and forget your life issues, to cuss and yell and make light of whatever you want. CT Fletcher comes to mind… That doesn’t appeal to everyone, but I can tell you this. Throw me in a lifting cage with a bunch of aggressive go-getters and I am bound to smash a PR… put me in a lifting cage that’s quite and serene and I am going to walk away thinking… damn I could have done more.

Am I a asshole? Yes! am I wanted in your particular gym… probably not. But damnit, I love what I do and how I do it. I like joking about them fat girls, yelling, grunting, taking a giant whiff of ammonia, filling my chest up, lowering the bar and grunting out that last rep. I like throwing my belt aside when I am done and thinking god damn that bar is my bitch. And when I am done I just might snap a picture and think… hmm I am big as fuck right now, I need to lose this side fat though…Jiggle Jiggle

-Peace out…

9c536d8d7f90177cc4f42409d93130d5.jpg

Please feel free to follow me on FB always looking for support from my peers

Www.facebook.com/kbrownfitness

Www.facebook.com/kbrownfitness

I wish I could wear something where I can actually see my legs on leg day...:(

I bought some "Golds gym/ World gym" shorts on amazon a few weeks ago, they were cheap, like $7, from China, ended up taking over 3 weeks. Anyway, they are basically like spandex, I ordered based on the sizing, they are way too small for what I was looking for. I was wanting a fit like what the guys had back in the 70's. The inseam is short, 3". I use to have some Otomix a long time ago that I liked, may have to get some again, I think their's are 4" and they fit looser.
Hope I didn't hijack this thread:rolleyes:

I still believe in 3/4 sleeves cutoffs, world/Powerhouse logoed wearing gear, black, or white hi-top sneakers with thin soles(Otomix F-104 type) and always did dress as so.
Where I do lift, people do take a good look at what I am wearing, and after the first week I've started lifting at this Downtown gym here in NYC, almost a year ago, I've seen little by little other following my style.
I guess, old school is the original deal.

Last edited:
My wife goes with me so I have to be a member at a metrosexual type gym. It is good enough for Rob Terry(my gosh he's a beast!)lol.
I do have my own gym which is outdoors on a back porch. Not always easy to do squats in the summertime here in florida in 90 degree plus weather. But I do like my power rack.

Last edited:
Good post. For me, I like training around young people and hot females. I HATE HATE HATE empty gyms and never really trained at a hardcore gym but I know the feeling on that one rare occasion a couple of bodybuilders show up at the gym. I like that too.

Lately I have noticed lots and lots of douchebags in the gym since the instagram era has started. I think the IG fitness community has inspired a lot of people to go to the gym but in turn you get a lot of non serious, talking, fashion oriented people in the gym. Me personally I compete, get shredded as fuck and I always wear big t shirts in the gym. Every once in awhile if im 2-3 weeks out I might wear a tank top but when I wear a tank top thats when I get all the talkers interrupting my work out asking "hey man what u taking to get ripped" instead of asking "hey man how much dieting and cardio are you doing". Seems like everyone is more concerned with being seen than actually training hard and improving their body composition. It's super annoying.

Last edited:
Yeah, I hear ya. I feel bad for young natties who need mass that ask me what supplements I'm taking. Sometimes I just come out with it, "steroids, lots of heavy weight, and lots of food." Their look is usually priceless. Haha, those were the shitty planet fitness days, damn that gym sucks!

I bought some "Golds gym/ World gym" shorts on amazon a few weeks ago, they were cheap, like $7, from China, ended up taking over 3 weeks. Anyway, they are basically like spandex, I ordered based on the sizing, they are way too small for what I was looking for. I was wanting a fit like what the guys had back in the 70's. The inseam is short, 3". I use to have some Otomix a long time ago that I liked, may have to get some again, I think their's are 4" and they fit looser.
Hope I didn't hijack this thread:rolleyes:

that's actually a pretty cool story

well were I am right now they are packed with fucking people, the gym doesn't have enough fucking equipments, and I'm surrounded by fucking jail-baits and fucking teenage fucks that think they are the shit. So at the moment, I hate it.

The culture can be great if you find friends or a workout partner but I hate the whole super crowded gyms, people being stupid, and nobody being there to really workout.

Crowded gyms are the worst. Gyms selling more memberships than they have equipment for members.

i love a big empty gym so i can do my thing and get out

Not me, I like "life" in the gym. Makes me more motivated to know people are looking at me as their goal physique :)

My fuck fuck gym has 2 fucking squat racks. I literally had to waited over 25 minutes for two fucking dudes that are doing traps by rolls there shoulders forward and backward to get done before I could use it.

We have 1 leg press machine...because that makes sense. And I had to wait over 20 minutes for that because some fat chick put her shit there, flirt with some fucks, then went on facebook, and then did some shitty ass leg press before she moved on to another camping spot.

But hey guys we also have a basketball court, a pool, and a jacuzzi so I can go fuck myself with them. We have ONE leg press machine, and 50 normal attending dudes that are on cycles year around in that gym (not to mention the 20 females that are also on more test that I am), but god dammit we have a fucking fuck jacuzzi...in a town were every fucking house also has one. A fucking lambo, maserati, and shit like that park at our gym...1 leg press, 2 squat racks, and 1 fucking bench that actually moves...rest are bolted.

You ever think maybe you take this too serious?

I think I do :/

and I still look like shit...I mean fuck have you seen John's and Shelby's instagram.

This life style is a viscous evil circle. If I don't follow it, I get depressed for not being as muscular and lean. If I follow it seriously to be muscular and lean then I'm also miserable (just a bit less than the other one).

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws