over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Time to get this off my chest!

animal eater

Registered
So many threads are constantly slamming bench presses as being
1. the ultimate pec tear exercise
2. an exercise which is not effective for developing the pectorals
3. a pure ego driven exercise

Often the same people who express these feelings put inclines as the be all end of chest training. Lets look at reality for a moment. While I will not argue that pec tears can result from an all out bench, the same can be said of inclining. What is NOT mentioned enough on these boards is that rotator cuff injuries are far more common from inclining then flat presses or declines. At days end there are a lot more lifters out there who suffer rotator cuff injuries than pec tears by a massive ratio.

So what is the solution. For me and for the vast majority of clients I have trained, it comes down to the following with bench pressing.

1. Always properly warm up. The idea of benching 1 plate followed by 2 and then 3 plates leading to the fourth wont necissarilly cut it.
2. Obey the range of motion that works for YOU. If you have long arms, lack flexibility through your shoulder girdle,then bringing the bar down to your chest with a heavy bar may not be a safe option. Most of the time for most trainers, I recommend bringing the bar down to about a fist above the chest. The ninety degree rule works for most.
3. Unless you are a powerlifter and to a cerain degree even if you are, don't live on constant max lifts. Periodization is always something to take into account.
4. All of the above goes for inclines as well as flat pressing.

By following the above rules, I have avoided ever tearing a peck or blowing out a rotator cuff and on my watch have never had a client tear a pec or blow out a shoulder.

Glad I got that off my chest!

i cannot incline bench. it completely wrecks my shoulders. i love the flat bench.

So many threads are constantly slamming bench presses as being
1. the ultimate pec tear exercise
2. an exercise which is not effective for developing the pectorals
3. a pure ego driven exercise

Often the same people who express these feelings put inclines as the be all end of chest training. Lets look at reality for a moment. While I will not argue that pec tears can result from an all out bench, the same can be said of inclining. What is NOT mentioned enough on these boards is that rotator cuff injuries are far more common from inclining then flat presses or declines. At days end there are a lot more lifters out there who suffer rotator cuff injuries than pec tears by a massive ratio.

So what is the solution. For me and for the vast majority of clients I have trained, it comes down to the following with bench pressing.

1. Always properly warm up. The idea of benching 1 plate followed by 2 and then 3 plates leading to the fourth wont necissarilly cut it.
2. Obey the range of motion that works for YOU. If you have long arms, lack flexibility through your shoulder girdle,then bringing the bar down to your chest with a heavy bar may not be a safe option. Most of the time for most trainers, I recommend bringing the bar down to about a fist above the chest. The ninety degree rule works for most.
3. Unless you are a powerlifter and to a cerain degree even if you are, don't live on constant max lifts. Periodization is always something to take into account.
4. All of the above goes for inclines as well as flat pressing.

By following the above rules, I have avoided ever tearing a peck or blowing out a rotator cuff and on my watch have never had a client tear a pec or blow out a shoulder.

Glad I got that off my chest!

Couldn't agree with you more, but you're fighting a loosing battle in here. All you're going to hear about is a bunch of pec tears with a bunch of pictures of pec tears (mostly courtesy of Dante).

Preach on brother!

I just watched a Dorian Yates training vid Shelby posted. he says through the flat bench rite out of your routine inclines and declines is all you need. along with flys etc. he Said it is way to dangerous of an exercise just not worth it.

I feel inclines are more comfortable on my shoulders than flat barbell.

I usually do them first then flat dumbbell with hand position would be thumb slightly turned up if you were sitting upright.

I just watched a Dorian Yates training vid Shelby posted. he says through the flat bench rite out of your routine inclines and declines is all you need. along with flys etc. he Said it is way to dangerous of an exercise just not worth it.

Yea but who is going to listen to Dorian Yates over JeffD?

Yea but who is going to listen to Dorian Yates over JeffD?
Can't argue with that. ;)

I also agree with the OP on the point that I don't understand why everyone thinks incline BB presses are so much safer. Maybe because people don't go as heavy with them and usually work higher reps than a 1 or 3RM.

Back on point

Gentlemen,

The point I am making is one position isn't superior to the other. I am stating that if you follow the protocol listed in my origanal post, you should be able to flat bench without issue. Also, by moving both the bar and elbow position, you should be able to find the path which works with your own unique anatomy.

Also just becuse something worked for Dorien Yates doesn't mean it is going to work for you. Inclines probably worked extremely well for him mostly due to his own shoulder stability.

flat bench = front delts for me. havent fb in over 3 years and chest and only chest is sore after chest days. So its not for ME and thats all i give a fuck about when i hammer the iron

Doing flat bench once a month, and doing incline the rest of the time has really improved my overall chest development. I don't care if flat bench works for someone elses for overall development, it doesn't work for me.

flat bench = front delts for me. havent fb in over 3 years and chest and only chest is sore after chest days. So its not for ME and thats all i give a fuck about when i hammer the iron

Fair enough but I would be interested in seeing your set up if your front delts are taking the brunt of it.

Can't argue with that. ;)

I also agree with the OP on the point that I don't understand why everyone thinks incline BB presses are so much safer. Maybe because people don't go as heavy with them and usually work higher reps than a 1 or 3RM.

I am the same way. All I would do is very low angle inclines and declines. Doing flat bench tears the shit out of my rotator cuff muscles. I have good form too. I guess its just something anatomical. I can do low angle inclines with no issues, and declines with very little. I would go as heavy as three rep sets too on inclines, so its not the weight. The best incline bench I have ever used was one created by John Parillo. The pad was curved, to help get that arch in your back and get your shoulders in the right position. The angle was nice and low and the bench pad was curved. Back in the day when I refused to give up flat bench, I could go to using his bench when my shoulders were all torn up and it would not hurt a bit. Doing just 135 on the flat hurt like hell. So its more than just people lifting lighter on incline. Flat bench for some is just no good. I never really even felt much in the chest anyhow, it was all anterior delt and some tris.

Gentlemen,

The point I am making is one position isn't superior to the other. I am stating that if you follow the protocol listed in my origanal post, you should be able to flat bench without issue. Also, by moving both the bar and elbow position, you should be able to find the path which works with your own unique anatomy.

Also just becuse something worked for Dorien Yates doesn't mean it is going to work for you. Inclines probably worked extremely well for him mostly due to his own shoulder stability.

to be fair, it worked for him yes...but he also has a gym and trains a LOT of people and sees his methods also work in them too...i dont think he would be preaching it if it didnt work for the majority of his clients too

Staff online

• LATS
    Moderator / FOUNDING Member / NPC Judge

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Sickxlost
NapsGear
HGH Power Store email banner
your-raws