advertise1
over 5000 supplements on sale at professional muscle store

Topic for Skip- Pre contest dieting (high fats. low carbs)

Most no carb (trace carbs only) diets for bodybuilders don't consist of much food, even green veggies are very limited. Protein is usually at 1.5grms body weight (max out at 300 grams normally), fat at .5 grms bodyweight and carbs between 30-40 grms all indirect and zero starches. I think many people feel they lose muscle on keto diets because they flatten out, but if you have a ton of muscles you will never really "flatten" out.

Well, flat is a relative term, of course, but damned sure you will flatten out form a lack of carbs. Unless, of course, you are a genetic freak. Most will go flat as hell from low or no carbs even for short periods of time.

Skip

OK , so after tinkering with my diet to see what works mfor me i have found that carbs will make me fat pretty easy and seem to hinder fat loss , if i eat 150 or so grams a day and half of that is from fruit , i feel fine don't seem flat at all and even after a few weeks of this i'll have a big carb day , general saturday and i'll get 500-600g a day but i'll cut my protein and fats back some to keep the cals in the same area.
The next few days i'm a bit more vascular and the pump comes much faster and this doens't seem to wear off till 7-10 days after im back on restricted carbs.

So what types of carbs do you guys use for your carb up days?

very interested in this. what type of trainning split, reps,volume are u guys doing on such low carbs? Also does everyone have a few carbs before traininnig?

OK , so after tinkering with my diet to see what works mfor me i have found that carbs will make me fat pretty easy and seem to hinder fat loss , if i eat 150 or so grams a day and half of that is from fruit , i feel fine don't seem flat at all and even after a few weeks of this i'll have a big carb day , general saturday and i'll get 500-600g a day but i'll cut my protein and fats back some to keep the cals in the same area.
The next few days i'm a bit more vascular and the pump comes much faster and this doens't seem to wear off till 7-10 days after im back on restricted carbs.

So what types of carbs do you guys use for your carb up days?
whatever! just keep fat content as low as possible for the day, I opt for kids cereal (I make my milk out of protein powder and water), low fat pancakes with syrup (no butter). chocolate rice cakes, flavored oatmeal, waffles. ect, ect, ect.

very interested in this. what type of trainning split, reps,volume are u guys doing on such low carbs? Also does everyone have a few carbs before traininnig?
I do a very low volume workout while on a keto diet, and very low intensity cardio (nice walk outside).

O yea concerning the low calories.. LOVE the quote below

dave pulcinella = "below maintainance calories and above maintainance nutrient levels". how you grow into a show

1. 6 whole cage free organic eggs
2. 8oz of chicken 1oz of almonds
3. team skip protein blend 1 oz of cashews
4. 8oz of grass fed beef or deer and greens
5.team skip protein blend and natty peanut butter
6. 2 cans of tuna with mustard 1 oz of almonds, greens

You and Chris are both beast, who run similar diets. Awesome info!

whatever! just keep fat content as low as possible for the day, I opt for kids cereal (I make my milk out of protein powder and water), low fat pancakes with syrup (no butter). chocolate rice cakes, flavored oatmeal, waffles. ect, ect, ect.

I do a very low volume workout while on a keto diet, and very low intensity cardio (nice walk outside).

Hell yeah to both of those replies, the only thing is skim milk rarely effects me like it does others. If anything, I will take it out completely 3 weeks out from competition, maybe ;):) Now, I may just have to get rid of the milk with the cereal and do your protein blend milk with water.

The only thing is eating low carbs can be define differently for everybody. Shit, 150 grams per day and my body changes, I can always go lower if need be. I am not afraid being flat because that means to me the fat is melting, usually that is a mind game anyways...eat some healthy fats, and at least your mind feels fuller :)

Like I said, I have gotten lean off moderate carbs and lean off very low carbs. The macro's just need to be adjusted accordingly as most of us know.

I always diet on lower carbs.
This year i am doing UD2.0 as i am dropping down from heavies to light heavies and the very low days are efficient at taking the weight off.

I dieted for my first show in May of last year on a keto diet (Palumbo style diet) and don't think I lost any muscle, despite using no AAS. The diet is easy to follow and certainly reduces the number of variables that one has to manage. Having said that, the primary reason for using keto was the fact that I overestimated my starting condition, and underestimated the time it takes to get in shape. Next time around I would try either starting earlier or starting leaner, and keeping carbs in as long as possible.

I always diet on lower carbs.
This year i am doing UD2.0 as i am dropping down from heavies to light heavies and the very low days are efficient at taking the weight off.

UD2.0 is an awesome program!
never could make it past 4 weeks though... i like to eat from fast food joints and that means tons of fat and tons of carbs atleast one whole day a week :eek:
but truth be told, in those 4 weeks i lose a lot of fat and not lose any muscle (if i don't gain some)... and you change the way you workout throughout the week so it's really fun :)

btw, is that you in your avatar? if it is... GOD DAMN!!! :headbang:

never could make it past 4 weeks though... i like to eat from fast food joints and that means tons of fat and tons of carbs atleast one whole day a week :eek:
but truth be told, in those 4 weeks i lose a lot of fat and not lose any muscle (if i don't gain some)... and you change the way you workout throughout the week so it's really fun :)

It is me in the avvy yes, i was around 245lb there (last oct) but am down to 220lb and still cutting as i want to get under 90kg/198lb for contests as i prefer the more "classical" look.

Haha, i hear you on the fast food man that's always nice!

The training is very different that is for sure. The whole body depletion was very hard yesterday....

It is me in the avvy yes, i was around 245lb there (last oct) but am down to 220lb and still cutting as i want to get under 90kg/198lb for contests as i prefer the more "classical" look.

Haha, i hear you on the fast food man that's always nice!

The training is very different that is for sure. The whole body depletion was very hard yesterday....

do you split the first two days to different muscle groups or whole body done 2 days in a row?
i'm assuming whole body 2 days in a row from the last sentence in your post

I don't find that this is common for most people, though. Keto tends to flatten out a LOT of people and in some cases, they do lose muscle. For guys like yourself that don't flatten out, it can be a pretty solid approach, yes.

Skip

So have your dieting principles changed a bit in recent years? I know you advocated keto style diets (with a weekly refeed) for yourself and presumably a lot of your trainees pre-contest not too long ago. Have you found guys can diet down on moderate carbs if their macros are in order and you make adjustments throughout? I know this is an individual thing, but what about for yourself? Have you dieted with daily carbs and seen results?

Is UD2.0 lyle mcdonalds diet?

If the diet went so well, as you stated, why would you change it and add carbs in?

Skip
I dieted for my first show in May of last year on a keto diet (Palumbo style diet) and don't think I lost any muscle, despite using no AAS. The diet is easy to follow and certainly reduces the number of variables that one has to manage. Having said that, the primary reason for using keto was the fact that I overestimated my starting condition, and underestimated the time it takes to get in shape. Next time around I would try either starting earlier or starting leaner, and keeping carbs in as long as possible.

I have actually never advocated for keto diets - don't really like them and I think carbs are necessary. I have, however, been very, very low on carbs getting ready for shows but that just depends on where my metabolism is at that time for that particular prep. As I get older I can't tolerate the amount of carbs that I used to be able to on a daily basis. Still, I believe that you should have as many carbs as you can handle and still get lean.

Skip
So have your dieting principles changed a bit in recent years? I know you advocated keto style diets (with a weekly refeed) for yourself and presumably a lot of your trainees pre-contest not too long ago. Have you found guys can diet down on moderate carbs if their macros are in order and you make adjustments throughout? I know this is an individual thing, but what about for yourself? Have you dieted with daily carbs and seen results?

I am curious why you would think I use keto style diets? I jut got to thinking after that last post and figured maybe you heard me talking about my personal diet or something but I am not sure.

Everyone is different. Where one person may be able to eat 400+ grams of carbs a day and still get lean, others need very minimal carbs to get lean. It just depends on the person.

Skip

do you split the first two days to different muscle groups or whole body done 2 days in a row?
i'm assuming whole body 2 days in a row from the last sentence in your post

No i did the full depletion workout in one go which took just over 2 hours.
It makes no sense to me to deplete for two days when i could just deplete in one go.
I am enjoying this diet more than a plain keto and more than regular carb cycling.
I have no problem going hungry for a few days with a big refeed day.
Its the constant just under maintance calorie days that do my head in.

I am curious why you would think I use keto style diets? I jut got to thinking after that last post and figured maybe you heard me talking about my personal diet or something but I am not sure.

Everyone is different. Where one person may be able to eat 400+ grams of carbs a day and still get lean, others need very minimal carbs to get lean. It just depends on the person.

Skip

I recall you had a diet log over on IM prepping for a contest some years back, and the weeks leading up to the show you seemed to eat a majority of pro/fat meals with peanut butter, oils etc. as your fat source.

I've always assumed you were more of a low carb advocate pre-contest and moderate carb off-season, but that misconception was purely based on what I've gathered from the message boards, not you directly. ;)

Staff online

• Big A
    IFBB PRO/NPC JUDGE/Administrator
  • pesty4077
    Moderator/ Featured Member / Kilo Klub

Forum statistics

Total page views
Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim311
NapsGear